View Full Version : Buying a US-version of HP 6315 and using it in Europe... possible???

ringtone
08-05-2004, 10:15 AM
I am in need of some advice... I live in Sweden (Europe) and have questions about if it would be impossible for me to buy a US-version of a PDA/phone and use it in Sweden and Europe...

The background is following:
I have since the last two month with great intereset followed all the news about HP´s new Ipaq (PDA & phone) - the h6300-series.

The final information about what features and models the h6300-range will have has now been released (http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/.../11861_div.HTML).

In US the model WITH camera (HP no: FA239A) is now availible for pre-orders and is called Ipaq h6315.

The only model that is availible for pre-orders in Europe is the model WITHOUT camera (HP no: FA203A), and it is called Ipaq h6340.

My problem is that I live in Sweden / Europe, and would VERY much like to have the model WITH camera, i.e. the h6315-model that is sold in the US.

Do anyone of you see a problem with this solution:
- I order a US-version of the Ipaq from some website
- I then order a spare part of the European power cord / AC-adapter

I mean this PDA/phone is a quad band phone and should work all over the world, so the only thing that should differ is the power cord as I see it...

Do you have any arguments about this or other solutions to my problem??

/ ringtone

PS. I know that the US-version initially will be bundled with the US-operator T-mobile. This might be a problem for me... do anyone have any clever workarounds??

Stephen Beesley
08-05-2004, 10:45 AM
I am in need of some advice... I live in Sweden (Europe) and have questions about if it would be impossible for me to buy a US-version of a PDA/phone and use it in Sweden and Europe...

The background is following:
I have since the last two month with great intereset followed all the news about HP´s new Ipaq (PDA & phone) - the h6300-series.

The final information about what features and models the h6300-range will have has now been released (http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/.../11861_div.HTML).

In US the model WITH camera (HP no: FA239A) is now availible for pre-orders and is called Ipaq h6315.

The only model that is availible for pre-orders in Europe is the model WITHOUT camera (HP no: FA203A), and it is called Ipaq h6340.

My problem is that I live in Sweden / Europe, and would VERY much like to have the model WITH camera, i.e. the h6315-model that is sold in the US.

Do anyone of you see a problem with this solution:
- I order a US-version of the Ipaq from some website
- I then order a spare part of the European power cord / AC-adapter

I mean this PDA/phone is a quad band phone and should work all over the world, so the only thing that should differ is the power cord as I see it...

Do you have any arguments about this or other solutions to my problem??

/ ringtone

PS. I know that the US-version initially will be bundled with the US-operator T-mobile. This might be a problem for me... do anyone have any clever workarounds??

I think your biggest problem will be getting one that is unlocked. If the US phones are sold through T-Mobile then they will no doubt be locked to that network and unless you can convince them to unlock it then you are probably out of luck.

On the other hand - there should be no need to get a seperate power adaptor the one that comes with it should work on US or European power (not sure what voltage you have in Sweden but I am guessing it is 220) all you should need is an adaptor for the socket plug.

Of course that is not going to be much comfort to you if you cannot get an unlocked device. I suspect that the camera version will also be available here in Europe so it might be better to just wait and see.

mobilelawyer
08-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Phones and devices sold through T-Mobile U.S. are typically locked to the carrier, and I assume that will be the case with this one when it is released.

ringtone
08-07-2004, 01:07 AM
Phones and devices sold through T-Mobile U.S. are typically locked to the carrier, and I assume that will be the case with this one when it is released.

Have you got any ideas about how unlocking such device would be possible?? Any hints or tricks that you know of?

Steven Cedrone
08-07-2004, 01:44 AM
Have you got any ideas about how unlocking such device would be possible?? Any hints or tricks that you know of?

If he does, it won't be discussed here... :wink:

Thanks,

Steve

MacBriar
08-07-2004, 09:59 AM
Ringtone

I suggest that you visit

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=IPAQ6000

This is the Expansys UK page for the 6300 from their products coming soon links. I would assume that because of the following

Note: This phone is available handset only (SIM free) and unlocked, you can use your existing SIM from any of the UK or European GSM networks (Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2 etc.). If you require a connection with this phone, add the phone and one of the connection plans below to the shopping basket.

that you would have no problems with the phone being locked.

Hope this helps

Ewan

Janak Parekh
08-07-2004, 06:02 PM
If he does, it won't be discussed here... :wink:
Unless it's legitimate, of course. :)

I think MacBriar is on the right path -- get it from a reseller that will offer SIM-lock-free versions. Of nearly every GSM phone produced, Expansys and a few others seem to get the unlocked phones pretty quickly. Of course, there'll be a premium. :|

--janak

Steven Cedrone
08-08-2004, 04:53 AM
Unless it's legitimate, of course. :)

Of course... :wink:

Steve

emission
08-12-2004, 08:29 PM
any other international site than www.expansys.com
for Eurobe ?

edxavier
08-26-2004, 03:33 AM
Try, http://www.doml.com/product.asp?id=1572
They're selling unlocked version of the 6315.

Wojo
08-27-2004, 06:53 PM
once you've purchased the phone you can call T-Mobile customer service and ask them to unlock the device. Let them know that you'll be traveling to Europe and need to use a Prepaid SIM. They'll unlock it for you. I purchased one yesterday and unlocked it yesterday. No wait period, no issues.

Good luck

urologyhealth
08-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Once you unlock it, can I then use it on ATT here and set up GPRS settings and use my SIM?

What is number of TMobile? What do you do about TMobile contract??

Wojo
08-28-2004, 05:18 AM
T-mobile customer service - 800-937-8997 or 611 from you T-Mobile phone.

As for your contract. You've signed and are commited. You can ask customer service what the penalty fees are for terminating the contract early.

Wojo

urologyhealth
08-28-2004, 09:12 AM
Thank you

I assume I can immediately try SIM card from any carrier here as well??

Wojo
08-28-2004, 07:28 PM
Yes. Once unlocked any SIM card should work.

wiz
09-06-2004, 12:26 PM
I live in the Netherlands and have just received my 6315. I called T-Mobile Customerservice in the US and they said they could only unlock it for me, if I would have a T-Mobile US Simcard 90-day plan simcard .... otherwise the cannot unlock it ..... is this true??

Wojo
09-06-2004, 03:16 PM
I live in the Netherlands and have just received my 6315. I called T-Mobile Customerservice in the US and they said they could only unlock it for me, if I would have a T-Mobile US Simcard 90-day plan simcard .... otherwise the cannot unlock it ..... is this true??

Wiz,

How did you purchase the device? Did you sign a contract with T-Mobile?

Wojo

wiz
09-06-2004, 05:19 PM
My girlfriend purchased it for my birthday, payed $599,99 at CompUSA prior to coming back to the Netherlands

wiz
09-07-2004, 03:12 PM
Update: After having logged a call on the T-Mobile website, they have come back to me with the unlock code within 24 hours. It now is unlocked, and if you do it the proper way, the device unlocks permanently. So no filling in the code again and again after each soft reset.

Thanks T-Mobile US, you guys are brilliant!

surfer
09-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Update: After having logged a call on the T-Mobile website, they have come back to me with the unlock code within 24 hours. It now is unlocked, and if you do it the proper way, the device unlocks permanently. So no filling in the code again and again after each soft reset.

Thanks T-Mobile US, you guys are brilliant!

What do you mean by "logged a call on the tmobile website" could you post instructions on how you did to unlock it?

wiz
09-13-2004, 05:15 PM
I submitted a query on the following website:

http://support.t-mobile.com/viewAllProducts.html

Following that, I received a case number and an e-mail dialogue started, in which I motivated my request for the unlock code, and specified my device's serial number and IMEI number. After a few e-mails, they were happy to provide me with the unclock code, which they e-mailed to me, accompanied by the unlock instructions. That's all.