View Full Version : pocket pc built in storage prob

atomtll
08-05-2004, 07:00 AM
So I'm running a new audiovox 4100 (upgrade from sx56) and it's got this new "built in stroage" feature that I didn't see on my siemens. It's got the same icon as my sd card so I figure I can use it like storage, just like my sd card. So I take some pictures using my digital camera, saving them to the same sd card and then get the "bright" idea to use the built in storage (BIS) to hold some of the pictures and VOILA! I've got this virtual picture wallet of my hot girlfriend to show off and prove that geeks and tech dorks can get hotties. So somewhere in the transferring from sd card to BIS (which now that I think of it, I should just call it BS for reasons to be explained), a message window pops up (which I didn't really pay attention to of course, but I think it did say one of the pict files was corrupt ????) and from that point on, Built In Storage no longer exists. I was on some AXIM forum and saw the same problem. Even after a couple soft resets, NUTHIN'!! I'm holding off the hard reset until I get some more info. Anyone heard of this? Any solutions?

Stephen Beesley
08-05-2004, 10:35 AM
So I'm running a new audiovox 4100 (upgrade from sx56) and it's got this new "built in stroage" feature that I didn't see on my siemens. It's got the same icon as my sd card so I figure I can use it like storage, just like my sd card. So I take some pictures using my digital camera, saving them to the same sd card and then get the "bright" idea to use the built in storage (BIS) to hold some of the pictures and VOILA! I've got this virtual picture wallet of my hot girlfriend to show off and prove that geeks and tech dorks can get hotties. So somewhere in the transferring from sd card to BIS (which now that I think of it, I should just call it BS for reasons to be explained), a message window pops up (which I didn't really pay attention to of course, but I think it did say one of the pict files was corrupt ????) and from that point on, Built In Storage no longer exists. I was on some AXIM forum and saw the same problem. Even after a couple soft resets, NUTHIN'!! I'm holding off the hard reset until I get some more info. Anyone heard of this? Any solutions?

This seems to be the same problem that also happened to some Jornada 56x series Pocket PC. As far as I can recall from the discussions on this forum and elsewhere, not even reinstalling the latest rom update would restore the safe store (as it was called on the Jornada). I do remeber somebody saying that they were able to restore the safe store by restoring a device backup (which included the safe store area) that had been previously made with Sprite Software's Pocket Backup program - of course this is not much use unless you are lucky enough to have such a backup.

More promising might be THIS (http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54958) thread on Brighthand's forums. The third post in the thread contains the download of a program that was apparently provided by Compaq to fix a similiar problem on older xscale ipaqs. No idea if it would work on a newer device.

I have also seen mention of HP having a patch (maybe the same one) on their site at one stage, but later removing it.

Have you tried HP support?

atomtll
08-06-2004, 05:54 PM
thanx for the info on the patch, unfortunately I did a hard reset after a backup and when the restore (somehow) messed up the call log on the phone portion of my pda, I took it back to AT&T and exchanged it for a new one. The built in storage is back (on the new one) and I think I'll just not put anything in there. If anyone hears of any resolutions to this please reply so I can continue to be informed
Thanx