View Full Version : Band width for pocket pc phones??

tezmez
08-04-2004, 05:48 PM
What band width would I need for a pocket pc phone if I was travelling all over the world? I know I would need an unlocked version of the ppc phone to use on different networks, but should it be dual band, tri band quad band or what? I live in Australia and am in Japan at the moment and will be going to Europe soon.

Janak Parekh
08-04-2004, 07:00 PM
I'm assuming you're referring to frequency bands, not bandwidth (which is the data rate your device can transfer at).

For Australia/Europe, you need a Pocket PC Phone capable of doing 900MHz/1800MHz. (The 1800 isn't strictly required, but is a good idea.) Most GSM Pocket PC Phones support both of them; the MDA II/XDA II in particular does (it's triband, supporting 900/1800/1900).

For North America, you need a Pocket PC Phone capable of doing at least 1900MHz, preferably 850MHz as well. The one I referenced above does handle 1900MHz, which works with a few GSM providers here.

As for Japan, no GSM phones will work there, so it's a moot point -- you'll need a separate phone.

--janak

maximus
08-05-2004, 02:26 AM
What band width would I need for a pocket pc phone if I was travelling all over the world? I know I would need an unlocked version of the ppc phone to use on different networks, but should it be dual band, tri band quad band or what? I live in Australia and am in Japan at the moment and will be going to Europe soon.

While you are in japan, why not get the Motorola A840, a CDMA/GSM phone ?

There are some people from our Tokyo office last week, and one of them is using the A840. A very cool device that runs on both CDMA 900/1900 and GSM 900/1800 and I think also on GSM 1900.

262000 colors TFT, Mp3 player, megapixel camera with flash, 1xRTT, GPRS. Boy, 1xRTT is really fast.

Those lucky japanese ... always get the cool gadgets ahead of the rest of the world.