View Full Version : @#%& WiFi...for now that is!

Darius Wey
08-04-2004, 04:47 PM
Actually, despite what I typed in as the subject, I love WiFi! But have come into a bummer of a problem. I've got an ad-hoc set up at home, and have internet connection sharing enabled and the necessary ports opened in the firewall so that sharing can take place.

Now, I've got a main desktop server that connects to the internet, and my laptop that uses the shared internet connection via 802.11b. While I can access the net on my laptop just fine, sometimes it seems as though it gets connection timeouts. Sometimes I can connect to websites, sometimes I can't...wait a few minutes and then I try it again, and it connects again, and then after a brief run of being able to access the net, it seems to timeout again. I've checked all the connection settings and it's fine - the wireless connection is always up and running (i.e. it doesn't connect and disconnect on and off). This happens even when I'm not accessing the internet on my desktop, and only accessing it from my laptop. That's why I don't think it's a bandwidth problem either.

So your thoughts on what I can do? Because I can tell you now from my side of the problem, it's quite annoying. :evil:

P.S. Wireless reception is fine @ 11Mbps.

*Sigh* - I know there's a way to solve this but I haven't thought of it just yet.

nhromyak
08-04-2004, 05:17 PM
Are you sure the wireless signals is good/strong? It may be at 11MB but not a strong signal. I only get a weak signal through two walls (doors open) at my house. :(

When you can't access the web, are you able to access your server/desktop (is this on wireless or lan on the router)?

I have heard of some strange issues with Linksys routers/wireless. Which wireless router are you usuing? Which wireless card(s) are you using?

Is your wireless using DHCP? Settings all good? Do you lose DHCP settins - perhaps?

Good luck.

Steven Cedrone
08-04-2004, 05:39 PM
I have heard of some strange issues with Linksys routers/wireless. Which wireless router are you usuing? Which wireless card(s) are you using?

If I understand correctly, he has no WAP or Router, he is running an AD-HOC connection. I would get a WAP and I bet your problems will be solved in 5 easy minutes!

Steve

Oh, and I moved the post to the off-topic forum as you didn't mention any Pocket PC! :wink:

nhromyak
08-04-2004, 05:47 PM
:mrgreen:

Darius Wey
08-05-2004, 01:00 AM
Running Netgear MA111 USB on server and D-Link - I can't remember the model no. but it's like DL-650+ or something, a PC card for my laptop. It's all on DHCP and both computers are 2m next to each other so I don't think signal's a problem.

So you guys reckon to scrap the ad-hoc? Actually, I sometimes get the same problem (but not as bad) on a public network in libraries but that could be the signal in the libraries.

Steven Cedrone
08-05-2004, 01:07 AM
Personally, I would scrap the AD-HOC and go with a WAP. You get the added ability to use your laptop and PDA at the same time (if you are so inclined) :wink:

Steve

Darius Wey
08-05-2004, 02:25 AM
Hmmm...thanks Steve. I might give that a shot if nothing else will resolve the problem.

Darius Wey
08-05-2004, 03:12 AM
You would not believe this...

Okay, so I'm doing this post while connected to a public wireless network, and just like I did at home, I experienced the same kind of dropouts from time to time. Then I worked out I had to move my laptop a few centimetres toward the right before it'd work. Then it'd dropout again and I'd move it few centimetres towards me before it'd work again (I think you get the idea). Now here's the really weird thing. I worked out that if I want an optimal signal, I should tilt my laptop on an angle toward the rear of the unit. I haven't experienced any dropouts since doing this.

So now I'm thinking it's not an ad-hoc issue or an issue on my desktop server at home, but rather an issue with the wireless stuff on the laptop. The D-Link DWL-650+ PC Card I use isn't faulty - in fact, it works just nicely, so I don't think it's a problem in the card itself. So what do you think?

Better tilt my laptop toward the rear before I click the "Submit" button. :p

UPDATE: Okay, this is what I've figured out - the tilting is just a trick to raise the PC card a few millimetres off the table. Now I've chucked a book under the laptop so that the entire laptop is about 2cm off the table, and the signal couldn't be any better. No dropouts whatsoever. Do you think that because the PC card was so close to the table that it was hampering the range of the PC card? It's quite strange though, because usually it should work just fine.

galt
08-05-2004, 04:08 AM
Weird, I was about to suggest it might be this issue:

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,63705,00.html

Here are the symptoms of the problem: A Wi-Fi-enabled computer running Windows XP is working fine one minute, pulling up Web pages and processing e-mail. Then, for no reason, the connection drops, websites fail to come up and the e-mail flow stops. The small wireless connection icon in the taskbar says the signal from the access point is strong, so the problem isn't that the user wandered out of radio range. The icon even shows that the computer's Wi-Fi hardware is sending information to the access point -- it's just not getting anything back. And manual attempts to re-establish the connection through XP's built-in wireless configuration tool won't do the trick. Even more bizarre, the connection sometimes comes back on its own.

Steven Cedrone
08-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Do you think that because the PC card was so close to the table that it was hampering the range of the PC card? It's quite strange though, because usually it should work just fine.

Just what kind of table do you have? :lol: I have a D-Link card in my laptop (which I am using right now) it's sitting on a table, and I don't have to raise it to keep connected (and I stay connacted all day, without any drop outs! If you really have solved your problem, you could always get a docking station for your notebook, that will raise it a bit (depending on manufacturer)...

I still think it must be something else... :wink:

Steve

Darius Wey
08-05-2004, 01:51 PM
I hope the table is made of wood! :p You know sometimes I think it's made of some radioactive waste material. Anyway, it was a wooden table and it was in a library whilst I was accessing a public wireless network. So raising it did solve the problem strangely. And now here I am at home typing this message, and since raising my laptop by putting it on top of a book, I have not experienced a single dropout yet.

You reckon this problem I've got here is classified as an X-file of today's wireless technology? :wink:

Weird... :?:

drowe
08-05-2004, 02:15 PM
Is it possible that it is a temperature issue? Most laptops have the venting on the bottom and it might be heating something up. Raising it, or even moving it may move enough air below it that it comes back.

Darius Wey
08-05-2004, 03:10 PM
I'm pretty sure it's not a temperature related issue. The air vents of the laptop are located on the rear, not at the bottom (thankfully :p). And as stupid as it may sound, might I add that it is winter here and the air temperature is cooler than usual, and that too can play a minor part to the temperature of the laptop and its peripherals. So I'm not too adamant that it's a temperature issue. Thanks though. :D

Darius Wey
08-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Okay - time for an update! Well...(*sniff*) the problems are back. I'm still getting these timeout errors from time to time, even though I've got my laptop off the table about two inches. Note that this is only at home. It still works fine using this weird and wacky technique when I'm accessing public networks. Anyway, I'm going to try reinstalling the drivers, and if that doesn't work, try Galt's tips at the link that was provided, and if that still doesn't work...maybe it'll have to be an ad-hocless network. :p

Seriously though, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could let me know. Thanks!

:cry: It's going to be a LOOOONNNGGG day!

nhromyak
08-05-2004, 05:12 PM
I just went through this last night...

I installed a "driver update" from my laptop last night. Now I get a little pop-up on my wireless Icon in the task-bar that says "One or more wireless networks available."

The following is from:
http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread.cfm/lev2/5/lev3/34/pid/730/qid/582449

The indication of this problem can be like this,

1. After the wireless card is enabled and connected to the AP it will not get an IP address nor will it be able to ping to the AP. The wireless connection properties will say that it is connected with good signal strength, it will also send packets but not receive any packets back.

2. The Wireless status will say "One or more wireless networks available" when the user tries to connect , it will not connect , but it will continue to say "One or more wireless networks available". Whatever the user does will not help himto connect to the AP.

Solution:

To solve this problem we need to either uninstall the update or enable encryption in the wireless network in open key mode.

Uninstallation of the hotfix:

1. Go to control panel " Add remove programs".
2. Scroll to the bottom and look out for an entry which says,
"Windows XP Hotfix (SP2)Q815485"
and remove it

Good luck.

Steven Cedrone
08-05-2004, 06:44 PM
You may also want to check for any firmware updates for the card, they do release them from time to time! You can also use the drivers/software from the card manufacturer and tell windows not to configure your wireless settings...

Steve

Darius Wey
08-06-2004, 01:16 AM
I just went through this last night...

I installed a "driver update" from my laptop last night. Now I get a little pop-up on my wireless Icon in the task-bar that says "One or more wireless networks available."

The following is from:
http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread.cfm/lev2/5/lev3/34/pid/730/qid/582449

The indication of this problem can be like this,

1. After the wireless card is enabled and connected to the AP it will not get an IP address nor will it be able to ping to the AP. The wireless connection properties will say that it is connected with good signal strength, it will also send packets but not receive any packets back.

2. The Wireless status will say "One or more wireless networks available" when the user tries to connect , it will not connect , but it will continue to say "One or more wireless networks available". Whatever the user does will not help himto connect to the AP.

Hi nhromyak, thanks for the suggestion. I am able to establish IP addresses fine but I just get random dropouts in being able to access the shared internet connection, despite the fact that the wireless network connection is always up and that IP addresses stay the same. I can always access shared files on each computer fine with no dropouts in connection with respect to that. It just seems to be an internet connection problem. I'm still wondering if it's a bandwidth problem - but this can still happen even if the main server is not pulling anything from the net.

You may also want to check for any firmware updates for the card, they do release them from time to time! You can also use the drivers/software from the card manufacturer and tell windows not to configure your wireless settings...

Steve

Thanks for the suggestion Steve. I've already got the latest driver and firmware updates. Hmmmm...I think my neurons are dying just thinking about what I could do next. :p

Darius Wey
08-06-2004, 12:48 PM
Okay, now here's another update:

I have worked out that there is a problem with initially accessing content, whether it be a webpage or a download link, etc. But once I actually start, say a download, the dropouts do not occur and the download occurs quite happily until it's finished. And then once that's finished, I might get a string of good luck and be able to access web pages until all hell breaks loose once again. I'm seriously stuck on what to do here at the moment. :?

Steven Cedrone
08-06-2004, 01:09 PM
Tray a WAP, damnit! :wink: Do the stores around you have a decent return policy? If so, why not pick one up and test it for a few days! Think about it: how much time have you wasted so far - in hours? Now calculate your hourly salary. Now multiply the two figures...

And how much does a WAP cost??? :wink:

Steve

Darius Wey
08-06-2004, 01:12 PM
Tray a WAP, damnit! Wink Do the stores around you have a decent return policy? If so, why not pick one up and test it for a few days! Think about it: how much time have you wasted so far - in hours? Now calculate your hourly salary. Now multiply the two figures...

And how much does a WAP cost??? Wink

I know...I know...haha :roll: Yeah, they have a decent return policy. I was thinking of getting one sooner or later, but the thing that stopped me from heading down to the store straight away was the strange phenomena that I had when accessing the public networks, where I would get similar dropouts. Now those are definitely WAPs, and it didn't solve the problem. :cry:

Steven Cedrone
08-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Here in the states, they sell WAP/CARD combo kits (it includes WAP and two cards) Have you seen any of them in your local stores? Also, do you know anyone with a card that you can borrow so you can test your setup with a different card? If you can't borrow a card, you can try just buying a new card to test with (instead of the WAP)

Steve

Darius Wey
08-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Thanks Steve. Yes, they do sell those combo packs here in Australia. The bummer of a thing is that a lot of the people I know all have their WiFi built into their laptop, so finding a friend with a WiFi card could be likened to finding a needle in a haystack. I'm due to get a new laptop soon (soon being within the next 6 months :roll: ) so if the new laptop has no trouble at all, it would save purchasing a WAP as I don't think I'd need any other computers that I have in the house to access this wireless network I've got going at the moment.

I just realised that even though I said I have the latest drivers installed, that I didn't actually have the latest one. I seemed to miss one of the later releases that just came out so I'm downloading that now as I speak and will see how it goes from there. 8)