View Full Version : HP iPAQ h4150 StartUp Items

DaViD_BRaNDoN
08-04-2004, 02:19 PM
I got these in my h4150's "\Windows\StartUp" folder:

- BTTrayCE.lnk (\Windows\BTTrayCE.exe)
- DBMirror.lnk ("SpriteStart.exe" /run "Windows\DBMirror.exe" /args "/StartUp")
- POutlook.lnk (\Windows\POutlook.exe)
- USBReg.lnk (\Windows\USBReg.exe)

I believe "BTTrayCE.lnk" is Bluetooth Tray and "POutlook.lnk" is Pocket Outlook. I'd remove "BTTrayCE.lnk" from "StartUp" folder cos I don't use Bluetooth devices and I don't want it to start automatically.

Question is, what is "DBMirror.lnk" and "USBReg.lnk"? Can I remove them from my "StartUp" folder? Any known side effect?

aliensub
08-04-2004, 07:50 PM
Since DBmirror reffers to spritestart.exe i think itīs the Ipaq backup program (an OEM version of sprite backup), so it hink you can remove it safely unless you use ipaq backup / Sprite backup.

USBreg i have no idea of

drowe
08-05-2004, 02:48 AM
The dbmirror is a part of sprite backup that backs up the core PIM databases after every soft reset. It can be turned off in the options of sprite backup. I personally leave it because it performs a valuable function and it runs and exits, doesn't stay in ram as far as I can tell. The USBreg.lnk I would suspect has something to do with the usb syncing......

DaViD_BRaNDoN
08-05-2004, 03:06 PM
I'm using Sprite Backup 3.0.1 (instead of the built-in iPAQ Backup 2.1.3). By the way, I don't see anywhere on the Sprite Backup options that says anything on PIM database or DBMirror.

Ya, I think USBReg has something to do with USB sync thingy. But I'm using IrDA to sync with my notebook.

drowe
08-05-2004, 03:22 PM
I'm using the Premium version and if you open it and go to Options -> PIM mirroring I'll bet that is checked and that is what the file is.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
08-06-2004, 05:54 PM
I'm using the Premium version and if you open it and go to Options -> PIM mirroring I'll bet that is checked and that is what the file is.

Ahh... I found it. It's disabled and does that mean I can safely do away with DBMirror.exe from StartUp?

DaViD_BRaNDoN
08-07-2004, 01:03 PM
I'd removed "DBMirror.exe" from my StartUp folder. I think if I don't use the "PIM Mirroring" feature of Sprite Backup 3.0.1, then it's safe to do so. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And now is to find out what's "USBReg.exe"... Any clue, guys?

OskiO
08-09-2004, 02:45 AM
I think the USBReg is what activates Activesync. Try removing it temporarily, soft reset, and then put the device back in the cradle. Does it sync? Just a guess...

DaViD_BRaNDoN
08-09-2004, 03:00 PM
I think the USBReg is what activates Activesync. Try removing it temporarily, soft reset, and then put the device back in the cradle. Does it sync? Just a guess...

Ya, I think so too. But I'm using IrDA to sync with my notebook. Don't dare to move it away from StartUp cos I'd had nightmare with ActiveSync 'Guest' mode problem with my ex-iPAQ h3850 :cry: SO not taking any chances now