View Full Version : E800 battery problems

rob_ocelot
08-03-2004, 04:20 PM
I'm having some severe battery problems with my E800 using WM2003SE.

What is happening is that the battery appears to lose charge very fast (~5% a minute), and when I attempt to recharge the charge indicator jumps almost immediately to 75% and after about 10 min jumps to 95% and then stays there so I can never fully complete the charge cycle.

I can think of three possibilities:

1) I've blown something in the charger circuitry and it's reading the battery charge wrong.

2) I've confused the 'smart' circuitry in the battery and it's reporting an incorrect charge.

3) I've cooked the battery completely

The real problems occur when the battery reports a very low charge and suddenly the PPC will shut off in a bid to save power. At the same time, attempting to charge the battery will eventually kill it (and is a fire hazzard) bacause the charge cycle will never compelte itself and it continues to charge.

What started all of this was an external 'extender' pack with NiMH rechargeables that I was using on a trip which I believe was run down to the point that it started to draw power from the E800's internal battery. :oops:

Anyway, I'm familiar enough with Li-ion batteries to know that you should not be deep discharging them. Anyone else experienced this problem and know what to do about it?

I'm figuring I should be giving Toshiba a call, though I'm tempted to try a Mugen 2000 mAh replacement to see if it's a problem with the battery rather than the charge circuitry in the PPC.

Regards,
Rob S.

davis77
08-04-2004, 10:02 AM
I had a problem like that and it was cleared up by doing a hard-reset.