View Full Version : Doom 3 and PDA's - the truth is out

szamot
08-03-2004, 01:59 AM
It seems that even on Mars, fighting the most wretched of all evils the first thing one is issued at one of the check points is a rugged PDA. In design sort of reminiscent of the old iPAQ 36xx and a bit larger then our current ones but hell, this baby gives you access and with out it you can't get anywhere.

http://www.stoneraft.com/junk/pda.jpg

Janak Parekh
08-03-2004, 04:16 AM
Awesome! That looks sort of like an iPAQ 5550. Didn't realize discontinued iPAQs were so key in future Martian technology. :lol: We should get this posted on the frontpage...

--janak

popabawa
08-03-2004, 09:50 AM
Looks like it's still got a QVGA screen though....

Darius Wey
08-03-2004, 01:07 PM
Nice shot! I noticed the "lack-of" anti-aliasing on the edges of the objects in that picture. Hmmm...looks like the "man-you-need-a-beast-to-play-this-game-to-get-half-decent-FPS" rumours are true. :devilboy:

Jonathon Watkins
08-03-2004, 04:05 PM
I smell a Friday post topic. :wink:

I noticed this when I was reading ther review about Doom 3 - about how the interface for mission notes etc was though a PDA. I *really* don't want to play the game though. I hate horror films and Doom 1 and 2 were bad enough. 8O :lol:

szamot
08-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Nice shot! I noticed the "lack-of" anti-aliasing on the edges of the objects in that picture. Hmmm...looks like the "man-you-need-a-beast-to-play-this-game-to-get-half-decent-FPS" rumours are true. :devilboy:

This was taken in 640 x 480 on medium quality in windowed mode. The game runs very well and is simply spectacular, I should go and capture a video of this scene and kill some bandwidth.

Janak Parekh
08-03-2004, 06:03 PM
I *really* don't want to play the game though. I hate horror films and Doom 1 and 2 were bad enough. 8O :lol:
Yeah, me too. I've played a ton of FPSes, both Doom 1 and 2, but this may be the first that would truly scare me. I'm sure HL2 would be the second. The FPS folks will have to be careful about not being too frightening. ;)

--janak

maximus
08-04-2004, 01:44 AM
I like playing PC games, but fast moving FPSes give me headache. Dont know why. I guess I am an RTS kind of guy.

Zab
08-04-2004, 02:19 AM
I like playing PC games, but fast moving FPSes give me headache. Dont know why. I guess I am an RTS kind of guy.

that actually happens to alot of folks. something in their head/eyes is unable to handle the quickness of the game and gives them "motion sickness " or other such symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, vertigo, etc. etc.

Jonathon Watkins
08-04-2004, 10:59 AM

I got this once or twice with the original DOOM and then again badly shortly afterwards with a game called Ken's labyrinth. Not had motion sickness during a game since then.

maximus
08-04-2004, 12:32 PM
I got this once or twice with the original DOOM and then again badly shortly afterwards with a game called Ken's labyrinth. Not had motion sickness during a game since then.

As for myself, usually dizziness starts when I am focusing on an object (usually the gun), and suddenly the environment (everything around the gun) moved rapidly and my eyes trying to follow the rapid movement.

The FPS folks will have to be careful about not being too frightening.

Wait until someone died during gameplay, and the family decided to sue the game maker. :mrgreen:

Janak Parekh
08-04-2004, 07:07 PM
As for myself, usually dizziness starts when I am focusing on an object (usually the gun), and suddenly the environment (everything around the gun) moved rapidly and my eyes trying to follow the rapid movement.
Right. I had motion sickness exactly once myself -- with a game called Descent -- which was the first FPS with full 360 degrees of motion (spaceship-based first person shooter in huge caverns). I've never had motion sickness since. Different people respond differently, but out of curiosity, how many times have you played an FPS?

Wait until someone died during gameplay, and the family decided to sue the game maker. :mrgreen:
I'd assume the precedent would be established by responses to horror movies. I wonder if that's happened to anyone...

--janak

mscdex
08-04-2004, 11:27 PM

that actually happens to alot of folks. something in their head/eyes is unable to handle the quickness of the game and gives them "motion sickness " or other such symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, vertigo, etc. etc.

Dry mouth! :lol:

szamot
08-04-2004, 11:59 PM
Well if you get motion sickness from the game wait until you see the gory details of wounds - that's enough to have your dinner come out the wrong way. It is nice though and I am sure it would be nicer of a Zentium 99 with like 50 gig Video card and 1TB or Ram. :cry:

maximus
08-05-2004, 01:46 AM
Right. I had motion sickness exactly once myself -- with a game called Descent -- which was the first FPS with full 360 degrees of motion (spaceship-based first person shooter in huge caverns). I've never had motion sickness since. Different people respond differently, but out of curiosity, how many times have you played an FPS?

Played quite a lot of them. I started with early-age FPS like castle wolfenstein, duke nukem, quake, unreal, unreal tournament ... everything was still fine back then .. then came out newer stuffs like far cry, snowblind, UT2004, call of duty, ghost recon, return to castle wolfenstein, may payne, pax payne 2, medal of honor, deus ex, etc. I played all these titles, until reached a time when I cant no longer bear the dizziness.

I guess I am getting old :p

Janak Parekh
08-05-2004, 04:47 AM
I guess I am getting old :p
I know what you mean. :( We still play a little Q3A for some quick LAN action during off hours, and I've gotten to the point where only Nightmare bots pose any challenges, but I actually get tired after a few levels. 8O

--janak

Zab
08-05-2004, 05:36 AM

I'd assume the precedent would be established by responses to horror movies. I wonder if that's happened to anyone...

--janak

I remember this game!!!! so so so many hours put into it!

Kati Compton
08-05-2004, 06:59 AM

Dry mouth! :lol:
Actually, "dry eyes" is a problem for me on quick-paced games. I find that with contacts I need to blink more frequently than without - it's become mostly subconscious/automatic, but I forget when I'm playing those games.

maximus
08-05-2004, 07:09 AM
Actually, "dry eyes" is a problem for me on quick-paced games. I find that with contacts I need to blink more frequently than without - it's become mostly subconscious/automatic, but I forget when I'm playing those games.

Eyedrop =) I always have a small bottle ready next to my PC, and another on my laptop bag. But lately I have never used them, because I hardly spent more than 30 minutes on my home PC anymore =)

We still play a little Q3A for some quick LAN action during off hours, and I've gotten to the point where only Nightmare bots pose any challenges,

Wow. You are THAT good huh ? Janak the Fragmeister. :D

Jonathon Watkins
08-05-2004, 11:36 AM

Is there no end to Janak's talents? :wink:

PPCT game of UT2004 etc. anyone? :lol:

maximus
08-05-2004, 11:52 AM

Is there no end to Janak's talents? :wink:

And get myself fragged every 5 seconds by Janak ? :p
How many people in this forum played FPS anyway ?

I am more inclined to a PPCT game of Spellforce, where I can introduce to you guys .. Maximus, the level 30 Elementalist with 800 hitpoint and 600 mana, lv. 12 fire, ice and death .. or Maximus Jr., the level 30 Warrior with 1800 hitpoint, with Amra's chestplate, Amra's greaves, dual wielding Blade of Master Assasin and Blade of Light ..

:mrgreen:

Jonathon Watkins
08-05-2004, 02:00 PM
How many people in this forum played FPS anyway ?

I'm partial to a FPS game every now and again. I like the Unreal Tournament series and want to get Far Cry. I just bought Serious Sam 1 & 2 yesterday for £8. Cutting edge gaming that eh! :wink:

mscdex
08-05-2004, 02:36 PM

I'm in! :D

I'm quite the avid UT2004 player :wink:

apanther28
08-05-2004, 05:10 PM
I dont get motion sickness as long as I'm playing. But, if I am just watching someone play, it bothers me. I love UT 2004 and any other game like it. I am going to get Doom 3 ASAP!!!

mscdex
08-05-2004, 05:12 PM
When I first started playing Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising I used to get light headed or get that real feeling like you're underwater when you'd actually swim your character underwater. I think it was because the water looked extremely realistic. And it still does, but the effect seems to have gone away.

Maybe because I play it so very often :D

Janak Parekh
08-05-2004, 09:31 PM
We still play a little Q3A for some quick LAN action during off hours, and I've gotten to the point where only Nightmare bots pose any challenges,
Quake 3 bots aren't really that smart. Nightmare is tough because they don't really miss. You have to use walls/floors to your advantage and make sure you herald your arrival with accurate shots, or you're dead. But that's pretty much it -- they're not apt to follow you much or anything. ;) Now, trying the hardest-level UT2004 bots... that would totally kick my ass.

I just bought Serious Sam 1 & 2 yesterday for £8.
Good catch! They are fun, but note that they rapidly get insanely difficult. Especially the end of SS2 -- it's just over the top. But cannonballs are so much fun. :D

--janak

mscdex
08-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Now, trying the hardest-level UT2004 bots... that would totally kick my a$$.

--janak

Are you serious? Godlike is easy for me on both UT2003 and UT2004.
Or am I the only one?

Janak Parekh
08-06-2004, 03:43 AM
Are you serious? Godlike is easy for me on both UT2003 and UT2004. Or am I the only one?
I guess I haven't played UT2k4 enough, then. ;) As of this moment, they're way too accurate for me. I'll make sure not to play you until I get some more hours in. :P Anyway, most of my UT2k4 hours have been in Onslaught, and my friends and I find bots a couple notches lower enough to fill our hands until we get our act together.

--janak

sponge
08-09-2004, 02:59 PM
If you guys organize any game, should be Enemy Territory, completly free (legal) download. We at PocketMatrix run an ET server, I'd usually idle for 10-15 min and a few people would drop in, don't have the time nowadays.

maximus
08-10-2004, 02:21 AM
Note to self : Avoid Janak and mscdex in any FPS games. :mrgreen:

To me, multiplayer FPS is at best on catch the flag games. That was fun. :mrgreen:

Pat Logsdon
08-10-2004, 03:09 AM
How many people in this forum played FPS anyway?
Me! Cut my teeth on Wolfenstein 3d, then the natural progression: Doom, Quake, UT, etc. I'm partial to sniping - railgun in Quake, Springfield in Medal of Honor and Call of Duty.

I'd be up for a PPCT tournament. I'm sure that Janak would totally 0wn me, but my trash talking skills are tight. :mrgreen:

Janak Parekh
08-10-2004, 03:49 AM
To me, multiplayer FPS is at best on catch the flag games. That was fun. :mrgreen:
Capture the flag is a blast, but UT2004's Onslaught is awesome. It's like CTF on steroids -- imagine multiple "power nodes" to defend instead of one flag to capture. With a good variety of vehicles, both land and air. It's excellently done, and if you come across a cheap copy of UT2k4, pick it up and give it a go.

I'm partial to sniping - railgun in Quake, Springfield in Medal of Honor and Call of Duty.
Oooh, me too. :mrgreen: Add sniper rifles in UT, Serious Sam, etc. Annoys the heck out of Suhit, though.

--janak

Pat Logsdon
08-10-2004, 04:49 AM
Add sniper rifles in UT, Serious Sam, etc. Annoys the heck out of Suhit, though.
That's probably because he doesn't like getting nailed in the head by someone he can't even see. :mrgreen: I can circle strafe ok, and my aim is pretty good, but man - give me a scope and something to hide behind and I'm a happy boy. 8)

That reminds me - what are people using for control? I'm a keyboard and trackball guy...

Darius Wey
08-10-2004, 05:01 AM
I'd be up for a PPCT tournament.

Ooooh! Bring it on! :mrgreen:

That reminds me - what are people using for control? I'm a keyboard and trackball guy...

Keyboard and mouse. The only way to go. :D

Janak Parekh
08-10-2004, 05:24 AM
Keyboard and mouse. The only way to go. :D
Agreed, and my MX700 rocks in that setup. And as for Suhit, absolutely. Although, he's smart and picks dark avatars. :P And he's pretty good at using sniper/rail, but he just doesn't enjoy it for some reason. I personally find it very rewarding to get a rail hit. :D

--janak

Kaber
08-10-2004, 07:07 AM
What? No Battlefield 1942? No Desert Combat?

Is anyone else waiting with baited breath for Half-Life 2?

maximus
08-11-2004, 10:17 AM
I'd be up for a PPCT tournament. I'm sure that Janak would totally 0wn me, but my trash talking skills are tight. :mrgreen:

:rotfl:

I remember the old days, my roommate was a very high level player in unreal tournament .. I think she is somewhere up there on janak/mscdex level, as she always played with godlike bots.

But I owned her when we played. Why ? Because she is such a polite lady. When I typed something, she always replied politely. So my strategy was to ask her something on the screen, and for the next 10 seconds, she will be vulnerable, since all 10 of her fingers will be on the keyboard, typing the answer to my question. BANG.

Of course she starts ignoring my messages after 10 perfect headshots. :mrgreen:

But when we played again the next day, she started as a polite lady again. BANG BANG BANG.

I remember one day she was very frustrated with this tactic of mine, and she yelled "Drop that sniperrifle, use the flak cannon and fight like a man, will ya ?"

:rotfl: