View Full Version : The Latest MPx News

Janak Parekh
08-02-2004, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/moto_2004_07/index.php?p=mp' target='_blank'>http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/.../index.php?p=mp</a><br /><br /></div>Rich Brome, from Phone Scoop, attended a Motorola conference (MotoSummer 2004) last week in NYC. He gleaned that the MPx is still being finalized as a product.<br /><br /><i>"The revolutionary dual-flip MPx was also on display. Motorola continues to tweak the keyboard for maximum readability and ergonomics. The photos below show the newest revision, which was manufactured just a couple of weeks ago...The MPx release date has slipped a bit since it was first announced. It's now unlikely (although not impossible) that we'll see it released anytime before the end of the year. The first quarter of 2005 is now the most likely timeframe. Carriers have not yet been finalized, although reportedly interest is high."</i><br /><br />2005? :( The biggest problem with being an early connected-device enthusiast is waiting for these devices. What's worse is that carriers will take some time to adopt it. I guess I should buy a different device now and maybe I'll be able to get the MPx in a year from now. :|

Jonathon Watkins
08-02-2004, 09:11 PM
2005???? :|

I guess the HP 6300 suddenly looks better.......

bkerrins
08-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Another OQO?

murph
08-02-2004, 09:33 PM
not surprised here. disappointed, yes. surprised, no.

now i'm REALLY glad i bought my Sony T610/HP 4350 combo...

surur
08-02-2004, 09:39 PM
Guess its time to get a SD wifi card and wait for the xda 4

Surur

Kati Compton
08-02-2004, 10:02 PM
Hmm... The longer they wait to release it, the greater the chances the technology will be outdated. :( If it's not *really* out in the US until nearly a year from now (given how slow US cell companies are), I think the specs might seem dated at that point...

Janak Parekh
08-02-2004, 10:04 PM
Hmm... The longer they wait to release it, the greater the chances the technology will be outdated. :( If it's not *really* out in the US until nearly a year from now (given how slow US cell companies are), I think the specs might seem dated at that point...
Well, do note that no one said a year from now. I'm just being cynical. GSM carriers do move a bit faster than CDMA carriers, although early adopters will likely have to get this unit unlocked if they don't want to wait for carrier approval. Of course, unlocked versions cost more. :|

--janak

powder2000
08-02-2004, 10:45 PM
All the more reason being a two device person has and always will appeal to me. Get a simple bluetooth phone and a sweet data device and you have a winning combo that you don't have to wait for. Phones are for talking into, data devices are for looking at :wink:

Jon Westfall
08-02-2004, 10:46 PM
In a way, I wish we never heard about up and coming products until they were released and fully stocked in stores... that way, the pain of waiting wouldn't be an issue!

On the other hand, if a PPC designed to be released in 2009 boasting 1/2 the thickness of today's thinest model, had 512 MB of RAM (And on some models, 1 GB), Had a SVGA screen, Had a 2.2 Ghz Processor and a price tag of only $99 - I'd want to hear about it TODAY!

Oh to have the cake and eat it too...

griph
08-02-2004, 11:50 PM
All the more reason being a two device person has and always will appeal to me. Get a simple bluetooth phone and a sweet data device and you have a winning combo that you don't have to wait for.
Agreed - I really dont rate Motorola's styling either. These devices leave me totally underwhelmed!

Spiral
08-02-2004, 11:56 PM
maybe it's just my opinion...but the Mpx220 looks far worse than the Mpx200...

Zensbikeshop
08-03-2004, 01:04 AM
I checked with a contact at Moto and the MPX is still due Nov 2004 with the major networks.

Jeff Song
08-03-2004, 02:42 AM
I too have the T610/4355 combo. I love my setup, but can't help but wonder what a converged device would bring to the table.

entropy1980
08-03-2004, 04:30 AM
I was all amped up on the MPx until I saw the meager and i do mean meager RAM, between that and the SLOOOOOOOw processor it's a great concept I don't will take off until the MPx2.

ikesler
08-03-2004, 03:12 PM
I checked with a contact at Moto and the MPX is still due Nov 2004 with the major networks.

Which major Networks? :wink:

Phoenix
08-03-2004, 09:17 PM
I was all amped up on the MPx until I saw the meager and i do mean meager RAM, between that and the SLOOOOOOOw processor it's a great concept I don't will take off until the MPx2.

When you refer to RAM, I don't know if you're only referring to RAM only, or to the memory in general. But the MPx doesn't have a meager amount of memory.

128 MB:
64 MB ROM for storage
32 MB RAM for operational memory
32 MB for OS

The greatest amount of memory found in the latest crop of Pocket PCs is 192 MB:

The Ipaq HX-4705 has 64 MB of RAM and 128 MB of ROM. But only 55 MB of RAM and 80 MB ROM are available to the user. Not too much more than what the MPx will have. Although it would always be nice to have more (I'd like to see more for operational memory in the MPx), the amount of memory found in the MPx is hardly meager, comparitively speaking.

As far as the processor is concerned, no one truly knows yet at what speed the processor will be running at. People speculate and compare, but none of us know exactly. There have been engineering samples that people have gotten a hold of, but many features have been disabled or crippled in these units, so people don't have a concrete idea of how it'll perform when it's finally released. But why would they, since it hasn't been officially released yet, especially considering that Moto hasn't officially announced that the MPx will be running at such and such a speed. No one has ever nailed this down. People only try to compare and the only thing they've compared it to is an XScale running at 400MHz (which isn't slow). My guess is that it'll be faster than this, though, due to the fact that it's not slated to be available for around another six months. But the bottom line is, we'll just have to wait before we know conclusively.

So I wouldn't be too hard on it yet. Wait until it's processor and full specs (not just partial specs) are at least officially announced. I don't believe Moto would put as much thought and effort into designing the MPx into what it is, only to screw up with two of the most important things - processor and memory.