View Full Version : T-Mobile free GPRS open to all ports?!

Ryan Joseph
08-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Okay, this is weird. I just tried to go to a secure site through T-Mobile's free GPRS and it worked! 8O

Normally, I'm restricted to only ports 80, and whatever the e-mail ports are. Secure sites use a different port and aren't supposed to work.

But it did.

So I tried another secure site. It worked, too. So I tried MSN messenger, which uses its own ports and doesn't let you change them. It worked!

Can anyone else confirm this? Is it just a temporary hiccup in the system...or is something more? :mrgreen:

Pat Logsdon
08-02-2004, 01:03 AM
Confirmed. You are the MAN, Mr. Joseph! I was able to check my PPCT email over a secured connection AND sign into MSN Messenger! I doubt it'll work for very long, but I'll sure use it until it stops working! :mrgreen: :rock on dude!:

Ryan Joseph
08-02-2004, 01:21 AM
I doubt it'll work for very long, but I'll sure use it until it stops working! :mrgreen: :rock on dude!:

My thoughts exactly. I'm glad I'm not the only one getting this.

I just placed a Handango order over a secure connection! This is sweet! :mrgreen: 8) :D

Jon Westfall
08-02-2004, 02:55 AM
I just placed a Handango order over a secure connection! This is sweet! :mrgreen: 8) :D

That has to fulfill some requirement to be a true PPC geek... ordering software for one's PPC using a PPC after finding open ports with a PPC.

Kudos... but it does make me feel a bit odd paying $20 a month for it... oh well... at least I'm sure I'll have it tomorrow, next day, and the next day ...

Janak Parekh
08-02-2004, 05:14 AM
Confirmed. You are the MAN, Mr. Joseph! I was able to check my PPCT email over a secured connection AND sign into MSN Messenger! I doubt it'll work for very long, but I'll sure use it until it stops working! :mrgreen: :rock on dude!:
So, Pat, do you want to frontpage this? :P The only bad thing about doing that is it might speed up T-Mobile's noticing it, if it's a mistake.

--janak

OneAngryDwarf
08-02-2004, 06:45 AM
I switched to TMobile about a month ago and have been able to use msn messenger over gprs (iPaq 2215 w/ bluetooth). Definitly not a hiccup in the system unless its the longest hiccup in history.

Ryan Joseph
08-02-2004, 12:56 PM
I switched to TMobile about a month ago and have been able to use msn messenger over gprs (iPaq 2215 w/ bluetooth). Definitly not a hiccup in the system unless its the longest hiccup in history.

Darn, makes me wish I'd tried it sooner. :lol:

So maybe this isn't just a temporary glitch. Still, I don't know if a frontpage post is the best idea. :wink: It would certainly call T-Mobile's attention to it.

On the other hand, we would quickly find out whether it's a mistake or not. :mrgreen:

jonlien2003
08-04-2004, 02:54 AM
I think Tmobile did this intentionally. For every geek who knows about free access, there are 10 customers paying for service. So we are in the minority. They are not going to go bankrupt because a few techies are getting a free ride on their gprs service.

phenderson
08-04-2004, 03:02 AM
I can someone direct me to information on how to connect my Dell Axim 30i to my SE t68i for internet access using the GPRS ports.

I do have T-mobile.

SteveHoward999
08-04-2004, 03:41 AM
just wondering ... is GPRS only available to contract accounts? Or can I get it on my prepaid account too? I tried to get information on the website, but failed to find it.

Steve

Jon Westfall
08-04-2004, 04:24 AM
just wondering ... is GPRS only available to contract accounts? Or can I get it on my prepaid account too? I tried to get information on the website, but failed to find it.

Steve

I believe its probably only available to contracts, since (until recently possibly) it has been an optional service.

danmanmayer
08-04-2004, 06:03 PM
i read about this free stuff long ago and canceled my 20 a month fee and then when i tried to set up the free accounts i could never get internet again. then they raised the price of unlimited data to 30 a month (or at least that is how it looked to me). So can someone please explain step by step the set up i would use to get an XDA running on free internet on my tmobile account?

I would be very happy and do a little dance for you to show my appreciation.

chix
08-08-2004, 03:56 AM
Has this rumour been confirmed?

I have a few questions regarding dropping my $19.99 unlimited data add on plan:

1. If I call CS, would the change be prorated for my current bill cycle?

2. Does it affect my voice plan contract?

3. Am I free to add the data plan back on at any time if I find that all ports are not open?

ignar
08-08-2004, 04:37 AM

Steve

GPRS works with prepaid account, too. (at least it worked about a month ago when I used last time) Actually, if your main usage of T-mobile account is for internet and messaging, pre-paid plan is a better choice. No contract, and incoming text messages are free. The down side is obviously expensive voice calls and no roaming at all.

ignar
08-08-2004, 04:45 AM
1. If I call CS, would the change be prorated for my current bill cycle?

2. Does it affect my voice plan contract?

3. Am I free to add the data plan back on at any time if I find that all ports are not open?

You should check with CS for sure, but based on my experience,

1. I think it will be prorated. I have changed voice plan and T-zone option, and each time, it was prorated.

2. I don't think so.

3. You can add or drop optional items at any time without affecting the contract.

divajess
08-12-2004, 07:58 PM
T-Mobile's "free" WAP plan is apparently gone with the wind...I tried using it the other day and was unpleasantly surprised to find it not working...I called T-Mo customer service and complained up one wall and down the other when they told me that it was "a glitch" that "lasted a long time."

:evil:

I don't have a PPC with connectivity (hp 1910) but I got quite used to checking email on my phone, so I signed up for their stupid $5/month t-zones. I hate bait and switches...the free WAP was really talked up when I got my plan. Until now I've been very happy with T-Mobile, but right now I am angry.

SteveHoward999
08-12-2004, 08:40 PM
GPRS works with prepaid account, too. (at least it worked about a month ago when I used last time) Actually, if your main usage of T-mobile account is for internet and messaging, pre-paid plan is a better choice. No contract, and incoming text messages are free. The down side is obviously expensive voice calls and no roaming at all.

Wow - interesting.

OK I found settings in a number of places that let me figure out how to get my Nokia 6100 set up with GPRS, this thread was the best I think

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=310788

but nothing I found was exactly right for my phone so it took a bit of experimenting.

Now I need to get my PDA set up to use it ...

Steve

Kati Compton
08-12-2004, 09:17 PM
So, here's another twist.

I was looking at the T-Mobile site trying to see if it would make any sense for me to get one of their plans. Basic Plus lists "Web Browser" as an included feature. Basic, does not. So, what exactly do they mean by that? It's listed as *included*.

logo20heli
08-14-2004, 07:01 AM
The free all-ports open GPRS was working fine last week. But now I can't seem to get any free GPRS access at the moment, not even port 80. Anyone else seeing this?

collegea
08-14-2004, 01:52 PM
I've been using the T-Mobile unlimited VPN Internet plan for about 3 months now with my IPAQ 4155 and Palm Zire 72 using my SE T610 Bluetooth phone.

Service over the last 2 months has been a pleasure. I always connect now and speeds are fast, especially on my Palm Zire 72.

The first month was a bit rough. I sometimes couldn't connect. The connection would just hang during the day and it was slow surfing at times. I changed nothing since I knew I had the settings right. T-Mobile improved things. What they did I'm not sure. But I'm real satisfied now.

I need to access secure web sites during the day so I'm not looking for a bargain, just great performance.

alexm
08-17-2004, 01:52 AM
Guys, I've read all these postings and decided to try it myself. Added free proxy and it worked fine on both mine and my fiance's ppcpe... for about 2 days. Then, I called tmo and cancelled our unlimited internet on both accounts. Free interenet worked for another day and now it stopped :( We can still connect via GPRS but we can't browse or do anything else... Any clues? Did anyone experience the same problem? Shoud we just be paitent and wait a couple of days untill.. something happens and it starts working again? I've learned, often these sort of setups take a few days before they start working. Any help is appreciated!

Ryan Joseph
08-17-2004, 09:48 PM
Guys, I've read all these postings and decided to try it myself. Added free proxy and it worked fine on both mine and my fiance's ppcpe... for about 2 days. Then, I called tmo and cancelled our unlimited internet on both accounts. Free interenet worked for another day and now it stopped :( We can still connect via GPRS but we can't browse or do anything else... Any clues? Did anyone experience the same problem? Shoud we just be paitent and wait a couple of days untill.. something happens and it starts working again? I've learned, often these sort of setups take a few days before they start working. Any help is appreciated!

8O Uh, oh. Mine started doing the same thing a day or two ago. I thought it was just a temporary thing because it's happened before. But it's never taken this long to resume service and if someone else is experiencing the same problem..............this could be bad. :?

I'll continue trying and keep me posted on what you encounter. :|

jeffmd
08-23-2004, 05:19 PM
I havnt used my gprs in months but now that im back in school I went to test it last night, and I also was unable to connect to any sites on my ppc.

Ryan Joseph
08-23-2004, 05:30 PM
I havnt used my gprs in months but now that im back in school I went to test it last night, and I also was unable to connect to any sites on my ppc.

Yeah, mine still doesn't work. :mecry:

Hey, Pat, you there? Speak to us, brother! What do you know? Does yours still work? :(

Pat Logsdon
08-23-2004, 06:06 PM
Nope - mine's toast now, too; I've sobbed my eyes out and screamed "Why, why?" to the sky, all to no avail. :mrgreen: Moving on now, I'm assuming that the $4.99 t-zones plan will replace the basic GPRS functionality, right? Can anyone confirm?

Ryan Joseph
08-23-2004, 06:22 PM
Nope - mine's toast now, too; I've sobbed my eyes out and screamed "Why, why?" to the sky, all to no avail. :mrgreen: Moving on now, I'm assuming that the $4.99 t-zones plan will replace the basic GPRS functionality, right? Can anyone confirm?

(I'll save the moderators some time here)

[censored expletive] [censored expletive] [censored expletive]

Sigh. After just buying a car, I won't be able to afford another five bucks a month for a while. I guess I'll have to go back to hunting for free hotspots. The world is a little darker today. http://www.galbadiax.com/openbb/images/openbb/smiley/17.gif

jeffmd
08-23-2004, 06:42 PM
looking around.. it seems common for one city to still have free gps (either via normal means or creating new connection profiles), and others (like ny, where I am) are simply a no go. I broke down and paid the 5 bucks. Im gona be spending alot of time on campus tues and thursdays, not having net access (aside from the public computer lab) would totaly suck.

Unfortunatly I will likely need to buy a 2nd battery for my dell, but dell is dragging their feet on giving me a credit card. Maybe they would approve me faster if I said I just needed it to cover $50 ^^.

Ryan Joseph
09-10-2004, 04:14 AM
(whispering so T-Mobile doesn't hear...)

it's back. anyone else?

ignar
09-10-2004, 04:21 AM
yes

SteveHoward999
09-10-2004, 04:30 AM
I can get my phone to connect - but how can I get my PDA to connect via infra-red through phone with GPRS.

Do we still have to whisper?

Steve

Pat Logsdon
09-10-2004, 08:06 AM
Yes. I think we have all learned our lesson.

:mrgreen:

OSUKid7
09-15-2004, 08:35 PM
awesomeness...was almost gonna give up and pay, but after a slow load, it seems to be working. great job guys!