View Full Version : Toshiba e830 Label Surfaces on FCC Website

Jonathon Watkins
07-31-2004, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=455134&native_or_pdf=pdf' target='_blank'>https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/...tive_or_pdf=pdf</a><br /><br /></div>Disappointed in the crop of PPC2003SE devices so far and by the fact that Dell and HP aren't going to be supporting their existing offering by offering upgrades? Looking for something different and open to rumours? Then what about the Toshiba e830? We first <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26986&">mentioned it</a> in April and the next week Toshiba then <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27133&">denied that the e805 was being discontinued</a>. Not exactly a denial of the e830's development really. :wink: <br /><br />Fast forward to now and Jaydoc05 and Duncan have just turned up some rather interesting nuggets from the goldmine that is the FCC website. How about an image of the <a href="https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=455134&native_or_pdf=pdf">label of the e830</a>? The picture submitted for the label placement is of <a href="https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=455135&native_or_pdf=pdf">an e805</a>, which suggests that the form factor will not change between the devices. Finally there is the particularly juicy piece of info that the device will come in two version, one with just Bluetooth and one with both Bluetooth and Wifi and that the information is embargoed until the 15th of September. Historically the embargo date has coincided with the manufactures official release date. Even <a href="http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Toshiba_e830">Dealtime</a> list the e830 (though with numerous apparent mistakes in the text). The current rumoured specs include: 128 MB Memory (configuration unknown), 520 MHz Processor, SD & CF slot, 4 inch VGA screen, and Bluetooth and 802.11b Wifi.<br /><br />To me this could be just the device I've been looking for. I'm not happy with Dell or HP for refusing to offer PPC2003SE upgrades and have been less than impressed with the new HP lineup (with the possible exception of the 4705). The new VGA FS LOOX & Asus models both have <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29071&">embedded camera</a>, so they are both <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28996&">out of the running</a>. I believe that Toshiba have redeemed themselves by offering the PPC2003SE upgrade for their current models, after learning from their previous mistakes. Still, today's hero can quickly become tomorrows zero, so here's hoping that Toshiba really are going to release the e830 and then support it. It would be nice to have at least one manufacturer that does so. :? Unique selling point anyone? Heck, I can wait for this device. There's no compelling reason for me to upgrade at the moment. So, that's me. What about you?

dean_shan
08-01-2004, 12:29 AM
The current rumoured specs include: 128 MB Memory (configuration unknown), 520 MHz Processor, SD & CF slot, 4 inch VGA screen, and Bluetooth and 802.11b Wifi.

That is what I call drool worthy. :drool:

ricksfiona
08-01-2004, 12:32 AM
If the e830 model with BT/WiFi looks like the device was at 600MHz+, I would go for it.

I think HP screwed up with the hx4700. Available 80MB of Flash ROM? Lame.

Tierran
08-01-2004, 12:36 AM
Buy for today, not for tommorrow. Sad reality but it is the reality. Sure you weren't personally burned by Toshiba...Dell did it to you. But what PDA maker hasn't very recently burned a large segment of customers? HP just did it. Dell did it. And Toshiba did it. (you don't see the e755 getting an update do you? That PDA is about a year old...)

HP did as well as Toshiba in offering for current models...HP basically discontinued all their models. That's the only way Toshiba appears to have updated the current models...by updating the latest two and leaving the e756 in the lurch.

Personally, I wouldn't trust any of them to give me the next update and just would buy the PDA I thought looked best at the best price.

Fishie
08-01-2004, 12:46 AM
Mmmmmm 830, mmmmmmmmmmm
Come to papa.

I never should have gotten rid of my e800.

Best PDA EVAH

DaleReeck
08-01-2004, 12:57 AM
Mmmmmm 830, mmmmmmmmmmm
Come to papa.

Best PDA EVAH

I was able to pick up a brand new e800 from Circuit City for $400 :D

Fishie
08-01-2004, 02:20 AM
Mmmmmm 830, mmmmmmmmmmm
Come to papa.

Best PDA EVAH

Cries passionatly.

bvkeen
08-01-2004, 02:44 AM
Could be my next device, too. I have the e800 with WM 2003SE and am over all very pleased with it. The main enticement for me Would be the 520 MHz processor. Not sure that another 12OMHz justifies another purchase, but it is tempting. Sounds like I have about 6 weeks to see if I can justify it to myself.

For now I'm just glad to see that there might continue to be some competition in the market.

jmbneaf
08-01-2004, 03:24 AM
Now if the e830 has all that and an intergrated GSM/GPRS quad band phone, that would be something to think about.... even if it is the size of a e805 or slightly larger..

Heck, I might even forgive Toshiba for for the e740 & e755 by actually listening and making the dream PDA.

-JB

arnage2
08-01-2004, 04:03 AM
im waiting for this one

jonathanchoo
08-01-2004, 05:16 AM
Unique selling point? Well when compared to the original e800, this has a faster processor and combined Bluetooth/WiFi. Bluetooth is a must have for me but WiFi is increasingly useful for me although the number of public WiFi hotspots in London is quite small (and expensive). I think the only place I ever use free broadband through WiFi is in Brighton beach (pier2pier.net).

Compared to my h4150, all four new VGA devices seems to be tempting. However the hx4700 has the fastest processor of all the devices and might be the one that I get. The 64Mb RAM is pitiful and most Today app installs directly to the RAM (but a bit of cut and paste, reg hack etc I managed to get em all to work in ROM). Remember the processor is not upgradable but the RAM is.

rpommier
08-01-2004, 05:28 AM
This would be my device if it wasn't so dang big... the color I can almost forgive, but it's a huge PDA.

Gerard
08-01-2004, 08:06 AM
I used to do lots of that sort of registry editing and file moving stuff, for a couple of years with Casio E-115 and EG-800, then with an iPAQ. But CabInstl has rendered most of that junk obsolete, as it's dead easy to install most applications and games to a file store or a card, to a custom directory of one's choosing. Free and pretty much bugless, the only caveats are that a) some programs' CAB files are hard-coded to install to a particular location, and b) some plugins and such should always be installed to main memory. Most, by far, can go wherever you prefer.
http://s-k.al.ru/wincepdaru.html

I'm liking the sounds of this Toshiba thing. There's that juicy big battery option, which could probably deliver similar between-charge times to my current 3800mAh Mugen on the X5 Dell. There's Toshiba's longer history with a VGA device, though of course they did sort of blow it with the implementation - unless you go along with the theory that they deliberately held back, to foster community action to get it fully working. And keeping with a dual slot design, both with I/O capacity, that's just the smart thing to do for a serious personal computer. There's always something or other one can find to usefully occupy even three working slots, as I've found very much the case with an iPAQ 3835 and a dual-CF MemPlug sleeve. Being able to use a camera, a modem, and a memory card all at once is rather nice.

Though I am partial to the design of the hx4700 iPAQ this Toshiba or something like it sounds very promising. If they could fix the lame cursorpad, replace it with either a great round one or a touchpad like the iPAQ, they'd have a significant advantage over the newcomer in my opinion.

wocket
08-01-2004, 11:01 AM
I got my Tosh E800 a few weeks ago for £319.00. Which I thought was a good price over here.

And I must say I really like it and glad I got it when I did.

I'd been toying with the idea for waiting for the new batch of pocket pc's and upgrading then but then I looked at the specs that where comming out I thought why bother. There is nothing really special about them.

debbi8
08-01-2004, 01:13 PM
I have been holding on to my poor, tired but still pluggin' away HP 568, and am still waiting for a worthy replacement. Maybe this one? :soapbox:

Jonathon Watkins
08-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Unique selling point?

Yes, if they actually support the device:

Still, today's hero can quickly become tomorrows zero, so here's hoping that Toshiba really are going to release the e830 and then support it. It would be nice to have at least one manufacturer that does so. Unique selling point anyone?

I.e. if at least one manufacturer offers good service, then they can set themselves apart and get more sales.

Dell and HP haven't offerer upgrades this time round, while Toshiba have. Sure they screwed up in the past. &lt;shrug> Will they do so in the future? Who knows. But I personally feel happier with Toshiba's reputation than HP's or Dell's.

Bottom line, read the small print and make your choice. :deal:

Jonathon Watkins
08-01-2004, 03:06 PM
I have been holding on to my poor, tired but still pluggin' away HP 568, and am still waiting for a worthy replacement. Maybe this one?

Welcome debbi8. Excellent Avatar there! :way to go:

I know how you feel. My X5 has given good service and I'm in no hurry - I can wait for the right one.......

BugDude10
08-01-2004, 03:36 PM
I spent a lot of $$$ on my e740 + accessories; after the way To****a (sp?) handled the e740, I wouldn't take a new Tosh if you gave it to me w/all the goodies. To****a can't get bounced out of the PDA business fast enough for me.

Of course, now HP says that it's not going to support my h2215, so I guess HP is off my list as well. (No great loss, IMO, looking at the latest iPaq offerings.)

If some company doesn't step up w/a quality device AND quality support, then my h2215 will be my last Pocket PC.

Just my $0.02.

atsouch
08-01-2004, 05:21 PM
I have been holding on to my poor, tired but still pluggin' away HP 568, and am still waiting for a worthy replacement. Maybe this one? :soapbox:

You are not the only one... :wink:

Jonathon Watkins
08-01-2004, 05:37 PM
This would be my device if it wasn't so dang big... the color I can almost forgive, but it's a huge PDA.

Yes, but how else is that 4 inch screen going to fit in? I want a large screen and that means a larger PDA. That's fine for me. The bezel of the e805 isn't too large at all, so the PDA can't really be much smaller. Plus, you need the space for the battery. Bottom line - it's just about as small as it can be - for what it is and does.

Craig Horlacher
08-01-2004, 08:38 PM
The new ipaq coming out sounded close but it turns out only to have 64MB of RAM. I'll take the 32MB of flash storage in the toshiba and the 128MB of ram (assuming it's the same as the 800/805). It's easy to add cf or sd storage but not so easy to add actual ram.

4" 480x640 screen and 500+mhz with sd, cf, bluetooth, and wifi - I'll be glad to pay for that!

jonathanchoo
08-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Expansys just put up the price of the hx4700. Close to £500! That is a mad mad price and a significant jump from the h4150 which I paid £220 for. The e800 is up for £330.

Duncan
08-01-2004, 09:18 PM
Expansys just put up the price of the hx4700. Close to £500! That is a mad mad price and a significant jump from the h4150 which I paid £220 for. The e800 is up for £330.

So buy it from Dabs.com (http://www.dabs.com/uk/productview?quicklinx=380L?refererid=00) for just £402.98.

It is hardly any surprise that Expansys should seek to gouge early purchsers - simple example pf capitalism at work - as is going elsewhere for a cheaper price...! :)

Jonathon Watkins
08-01-2004, 10:09 PM
I spent a lot of $$$ on my e740 + accessories; after the way To****a (sp?) handled the e740, I wouldn't take a new Tosh if you gave it to me w/all the goodies.

Fair enough - that's your choice. Toshiba messed up one and got it right once with the current crop of PPC upgrades. HP and Dell both messed up. That makes Toshiba one up on them in my opinion. It's not personal - it's business.. :wink:

If some company doesn't step up w/a quality device AND quality support, then my h2215 will be my last Pocket PC.

Yes, that's the worry. All this not offering upgrades really sticks in the craw....... :|

jonathanchoo
08-01-2004, 10:54 PM

So buy it from Dabs.com (http://www.dabs.com/uk/productview?quicklinx=380L?refererid=00) for just £402.98.

It is hardly any surprise that Expansys should seek to gouge early purchsers - simple example pf capitalism at work - as is going elsewhere for a cheaper price...! :)

I am going to seek it from Asia. I think could get it for less than £300 if I searched properly.

Expansys is a very popular PDA sale site and most purchasers are well imformed about the actual costs. I do sometimes wonder how they can get away with such prices. Still, they were the first among online retailers to drop the price of the h4150 when the US dollar crashed in April. But I got mine elsewhere cheaper. :D

debbi8
08-02-2004, 01:25 AM
Thanks, J.W.- I've been hanging out here for awhile, didn't rea1ize I hadn't posted anything yet! :oops: I'm also concerned about being "kicked to the curb" after investing hundreds of hard-earned dollars in the latest technology that the best marketing company has successfully convinced me that I can't live without. So I will tame my "geek lust" and wait patiently for the Wi-Fi/BT/CF/SDIO/VGA Asus :ppclove:

Jonathon Watkins
08-02-2004, 10:39 AM
So I will tame my "geek lust" and wait patiently for the Wi-Fi/BT/CF/SDIO/VGA Asus :ppclove:

Yeah - I'd take one of them like a shot - if it were't for the embedded camera. :roll: :wink:

wocket
08-02-2004, 10:54 AM
I was just looking again at the specs for the HP iPAQ4700 on the Dabs (http://www.dabs.com/uk/productview?quicklinx=380L?refererid=00) site and this line I found amusing

"• Extended Product life cycle for stability and investment protection"

They said that about the 2200 series and the 5500 did'nt they.

Jonathon Watkins
08-02-2004, 11:43 AM
I was just looking again at the specs for the HP iPAQ4700 on the Dabs (http://www.dabs.com/uk/productview?quicklinx=380L?refererid=00) site and this line I found amusing

"• Extended Product life cycle for stability and investment protection"

They said that about the 2200 series and the 5500 did'nt they.

And *THAT* is exacly why I don't want to buy a HP device. Dell I can kind of forgive - kind of. They sell for a lot less than the HP devices......

theoak
08-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Personally, I am going to hold out for Dell's VGA with the graphics chip. If the Dell unit disappoints ... the Loox VGA unit will probably be my choice.

jgrnt1
08-02-2004, 03:06 PM
My first and last Toshiba was the e550g. It had the potential to be a great device, but what a fiasco. It wasn't until you got it home and opened the box that you found out it was supported only by Audiovox. It was made by Toshiba Japan, with a completely different lineage that any other Toshiba PPC in the US. It had been developed by a different team of people exclusively for the Japanese/Asian market. It shared nothing with any of the other Toshibas available here. Toshiba USA didn't even know it existed and couldn't help with anything. Audiovox underestimated the effort required to support it, so there were few updates (all delayed), a lack of accessories, though we could read articles about them available elsewhere, etc. Yes, this was an Audiovox problem, but Toshiba was still responsible. They allowed a third party exclusive distribution of one of their products. It was their responsibility to make sure the vendor supported it properly and to step in when things did not go well. Neither happened. I even cornered a couple of Toshiba people at Comdex 2002. They had never even seen the device (they worked for Toshiba USA). One promised to get back to me, but never did. I still miss it -- it had a 4 inch screen, CF and SD slots, was very fast (for its day), usb host support -- but I don't want to deal with Toshiba anymore. People can argue about whether HP did or did not say they would offer SE for current PPC's (I have a 2215), but I was able to talk with them when I had questions, which were few, and they have twice replaced my grips without a hassle.

Jonathon Watkins
08-02-2004, 03:16 PM
Personally, I am going to hold out for Dell's VGA with the graphics chip.

You got a link for that TheOak? Can't remember reading about it.....

Duncan
08-02-2004, 03:35 PM

I would imagine it is a reference to this: http://www.brighthand.com/article/RumorMill_-_Dell_Developing_VGA_Pocket_PC

I did a lot of searching (a week or so ago) for any references to a Dell VGA Pocket PC - and that was the only one I could find...

Jonathon Watkins
08-02-2004, 03:39 PM

I would imagine it is a reference to this: http://www.brighthand.com/article/RumorMill_-_Dell_Developing_VGA_Pocket_PC

I did a lot of searching (a week or so ago) for any references to a Dell VGA Pocket PC - and that was the only one I could find...

I remember that - but thought it was just speculation and not a 'real' rumour. :wink:

Shuushin
08-02-2004, 03:51 PM
My first and last Toshiba was the e550g. It had the potential to be a great device, but what a fiasco. It wasn't until you got it home and opened the box that you found out it was supported only by Audiovox. It was made by Toshiba Japan, with a completely different lineage that any other Toshiba PPC in the US. It had been developed by a different team of people exclusively for the Japanese/Asian market. It shared nothing with any of the other Toshibas available here. Toshiba USA didn't even know it existed and couldn't help with anything. Audiovox underestimated the effort required to support it, so there were few updates (all delayed), a lack of accessories, though we could read articles about them available elsewhere, etc. Yes, this was an Audiovox problem, but Toshiba was still responsible. They allowed a third party exclusive distribution of one of their products. It was their responsibility to make sure the vendor supported it properly and to step in when things did not go well. Neither happened. I even cornered a couple of Toshiba people at Comdex 2002. They had never even seen the device (they worked for Toshiba USA). One promised to get back to me, but never did. I still miss it -- it had a 4 inch screen, CF and SD slots, was very fast (for its day), usb host support -- but I don't want to deal with Toshiba anymore. People can argue about whether HP did or did not say they would offer SE for current PPC's (I have a 2215), but I was able to talk with them when I had questions, which were few, and they have twice replaced my grips without a hassle.

A very good summary of the lineage, but Hey - I use one of these with a CF WiFi card as my daily driver - it rocks. So it doesn't support 2003, big deal, seriously - and 400mhz with a 4 inch screen is nothing to sneeze at, even now. 'Sgot everything I need.

Jonathon Watkins
08-02-2004, 04:09 PM
My first and last Toshiba was the e550g. It had the potential to be a great device, but what a fiasco. It wasn't until you got it home and opened the box that you found out it was supported only by Audiovox. It was made by Toshiba Japan, with a completely different lineage that any other Toshiba PPC in the US. It had been developed by a different team of people exclusively for the Japanese/Asian market. It shared nothing with any of the other Toshibas available here. Toshiba USA didn't even know it existed and couldn't help with anything.

Jgrnt1, where did you buy it from and did you know this when you bought it, i.e. that it was essentially 'unsupported' in the US market?

Shuushin - welcome and I'm glad you are enjoying the e550g. I was very tempted by it when it first came out (I seem to remember it was the first PPC with a 4 inch screen), but I could not get hold of one and was put of by the 'Japan only' association. Still, it looks like Toshiba are rectifying that now with the newer devices. :)

sylvangale
08-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Wasn't the e550g a "CompUSA" special? It was quite a nice PDA for it's age. I went for the e330... ha ... hah haha hahhha .hahh ....ha ha ha.
Now the e330 was a bad choice.

jgrnt1
08-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Jonathon,

I bought it at CompUSA. I had read that it was imported by Audiovox, but was not aware that Toshiba would have nothing to do with it. Unlike the rebranded Audiovox Maestro, this was still labeled as a Toshiba product. Despite the hassles, I really liked it, but it started having problems. I eventually used the TAP I purchased with it to exchange it for my iPAQ 2215.

Shuushin
08-02-2004, 08:43 PM
Yep, the e550G is a strange animal. If you poke around Toshiba's site its like one of those dreams where you find yourself in a familiar environment but something isn't quite right - e550G is noplace to be found. Okay, I was surfing in my underwear...

And there is apparently no way it will be upgraded for PPC2003 so, eventually, I'll have to switch - I'm hooked now.

I traded an intercooler to get mine, btw (about $200), and now I have about that in accessories. I think good deals for them can be had on Ebay just about every day of the week (just be careful you don't get an actual Japanese version!).

I won't stretch the topic anymore - there are forums dedicated to the thing already.

http://www.pocketpcpda.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

Mark Johnson
08-02-2004, 10:28 PM
...but it's a huge PDA.

I'm with you on that point. At least the VGA Asus looks fairly pocketable.

Mark Johnson
08-02-2004, 10:31 PM

When? My local Circuit City said they stopped carrying Toshiba's over a month ago...

theoak
08-03-2004, 03:16 AM
http://www.intel.com/personal/news/ceswebcast.htm?iid=HPAGE+low_news_040112c&

Watch the above Intel Web Cast. Instead of watching the whole thing ... skip to just past the 47 minute mark.

They mention that Dell will release a VGA PDA with their graphics chip in the second half of 04. (Unfortunately my speakers currently have decided not to give sound, so I can not give a direct quote of what was said specifically.)

Hopefully the beginning of the half versus the end :)

Powderfinger
08-07-2004, 04:44 PM
I just replaced my trusty 2 plus year old Jornada 568 with an e800. Funny, my Jornada quit working 4 days after I got my e800 up and running. It turns on but the touch screen does not work. I can only navigate with the buttons. I was going to give it to my son but so much for that. The e800 rocks, especially with 2003 SE. The install messages on Toshiba's site are pretty lame, making it sound much harder than it really is. IMHO. The e830 sounds great with the faster processor. I have a BT card so I have the functionality of the e830 but not the speed. Oh I like speed :D

Janak Parekh
08-07-2004, 06:04 PM
The install messages on Toshiba's site are pretty lame, making it sound much harder than it really is.
Agreed. The e805's ROM update was much faster and just as easy as iPAQs' updates.

--janak