View Full Version : Quicktime + iTunes???

Steven Cedrone
07-30-2004, 01:47 PM
You have got to be kidding me right? I have to download iTunes just to get the lousy Quicktime player??? What a joke! :roll:

19 Meg to watch a minute clip! Sheesh... :evil:

Steve

Edit: O.K., I calmed down and looked around and found the stand alone install. How much you want to bet that it disappears before too long!

Darius Wey
07-30-2004, 01:54 PM
Huh? Why can't you just get the QuickTime player straight? :?

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/

Although I must admit even the QuickTime installation alone is a hefty 9-10MB.

EDIT: (because I just noticed you found it) The standalone installation of QuickTime has been around for a very long time, so I don't think that they would scrap it anytime soon.

Steven Cedrone
07-30-2004, 01:56 PM
See my edit, they do have a smaller link to download just the player...

Steve

Steven Cedrone
07-30-2004, 01:59 PM
I don't know, it looks like it will become a bundle in the future and you will download iTunes whether you like it or not...

Steve

Darius Wey
07-30-2004, 01:59 PM
Yep. I did notice your edit. Unfortunately, I think it's always been like that (I'm talking about the small link). You have to do a bit of searching if you want to download the standalone, but the standalone has always been available from Apple since QuickTime became a standard player in the computing world.

Darius Wey
07-30-2004, 02:02 PM
Oh I see your point. LOL...everytime I post a message, you seem to post at the same time so none of our messages will probably make sense to everyone else. They'll probably think we're a bunch of illiterates who can't make sense of each other's messages.

Well yeah, Apple seems to want to dominate the digital music world with its iTunes and iPod suite. But I'm sure that if it ever comes to the stage where QuickTime and iTunes becomes one package, everyone will complain and Apple will resort back to its old ways. *hopefully*

Steven Cedrone
07-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Oh I see your point. LOL...everytime I post a message, you seem to post at the same time so none of our messages will probably make sense to everyone else. They'll probably think we're a bunch of illiterates who can't make sense of each other's messages.

Heh, post, edit, post, edit, I agree, this thread is kinda' crazy! :lol:

Well yeah, Apple seems to want to dominate the digital music world with its iTunes and iPod suite. But I'm sure that if it ever comes to the stage where QuickTime and iTunes becomes one package, everyone will complain and Apple will resort back to its old ways. *hopefully*

Maybe, maybe not. They could just bundle iTunes in the Quicktime package and call it Quicktime! Before you know it, all of you media is playing through some damned player that you don't even remember downloading!

Steve

Darius Wey
07-30-2004, 02:12 PM
Maybe, maybe not. They could just bundle iTunes in the Quicktime package and call it Quicktime! Before you know it, all of you media is playing through some damned player that you don't even remember downloading!

Hehe, that's why I make sure I unclick all those "Make iTunes your default player" options. Unless they decide to get rid of those - then I'll have to do it manually. :roll:

JackTheTripper
07-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Long time apple user here and I don't see them bundling them together in the future. But that's just me.

dean_shan
08-05-2004, 07:51 PM
I think that everyone should use QuickTime Alternative (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm). Smaller download and less bloatware.

JackTheTripper
08-05-2004, 09:53 PM
But they don't have an Mac OS X version? :(

:lol:

dean_shan
08-05-2004, 10:13 PM
But they don't have an Mac OS X version? :(

I can handle the Mac Version, that I like.