View Full Version : The Mainstream Media Review HP's iPAQ 6315

Janak Parekh
07-30-2004, 02:00 PM
The iPAQ 6315 is generating quite a buzz -- so much so that several prominent publications have written reviews about it.<br /><li> David Pogue, of the New York Times (registration required), has <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/29/technology/circuits/29stat.html">written a mixed review</a>. He clearly likes the integration of the iPAQ's four different wireless technologies, but doesn't seem to like the Pocket PC OS: <i>"Finally, remember that this device runs the Microsoft PocketPC operating system, which is nobody's idea of simple...Still, considering how many gadgets this palmtop replaces, HP has done an excellent job at keeping a lid on the complexity and size."</i><br /><li> Walt Mossberg gives a <a href="http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20040729.html">surprisingly positive review</a> over at the Wall Street Journal. 8O <i>"All in all, the HP iPAQ 6315 is a winner. I wish it were a bit smaller and that the keyboard was built in. And I still prefer Palm's software to Microsoft's. But for mobile e-mail and Internet addicts, the ability to use both Wi-Fi and the cellphone network is a big plus."</i><br /><li> USA Today's Edward Baig <a href="http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2004-07-28-baig_x.htm">reviews the iPAQ rx3715 and h6315</a>. <i>"The 6315 felt fine next to my ear. But while I appreciate the device's wireless versatility, it's too big to be my preferred mobile phone. Even in a topsy-turvy world."</i> It's nice to see Pocket PCs get mainstream press so quickly and extensively. 8)

bbarker
07-30-2004, 02:06 PM
Some of these mainstream media reviews miss the point that Microsoft has the Smartphone platform for those who prefer a smaller, phone-like form factor. Pocket PC Phones are for those whose priority is the PDA.

Still, the 6300 has made a big splash.

jngold_me
07-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Some of these mainstream media reviews miss the point that Microsoft has the Smartphone platform for those who prefer a smaller, phone-like form factor. Pocket PC Phones are for those whose priority is the PDA.

Still, the 6300 has made a big splash.

I disagree. HP has already proven that a multi-wireless device with a small form factor can be produced. It was called the Ipaq 4150. A device with that form factor, I am sure, would appease those who would like a small device as a (full) PDA and phone.

The new Audiovox 4100 is another example of a small form factor. The 4100 would just need wifi and BT built in to get my dollars.

Jason Dunn
07-30-2004, 03:37 PM
...It was called the Ipaq 4150. A device with that form factor, I am sure, would appease those who would like a small device as a (full) PDA and phone...The 4100 would just need wifi and BT built in to get my dollars.

But you're making a pretty big assumption here that they could cram a GSM module into the 4150 without changing the size, and that they could cram Bluetooth and WiFI into the 4100 without changing it. I love my iPAQ 4150, but if it had the TI OMAP processor on it, I might not love it quite so much (less powerful CPU). Or maybe I'd love it even more. :-)

Jason Dunn
07-30-2004, 03:38 PM
I find it telling that the mainstream media still thinks the Pocket PC OS is complex and Palm is easier. :roll:

jngold_me
07-30-2004, 03:47 PM
But you're making a pretty big assumption here that they could cram a GSM module into the 4150 without changing the size, and that they could cram Bluetooth and WiFI into the 4100 without changing it

They have already crammed all of that in a small device....it's called the Motorola MPX! :)

Jon Westfall
07-30-2004, 03:48 PM
I find it telling that the mainstream media still thinks the Pocket PC OS is complex and Palm is easier. :roll:

Palm is the "good guy" to the ever present microsoft "bad guy" - the media has had that slant ever since the IE vs. Netscape browser wars. Microsoft could produce an operating system that was so easy and user friendly that people willingly ran it on 95% of desktop and notebook computers and the media would still long for a palm/netscape/sun/linux alternative... :mrgreen:

Chris Spera
07-30-2004, 04:27 PM

:soapbox:
I agree. I wonder where these mainstream rags dig these guys up. Most of the time, I find their reviews rather shallow, their options biased, and their overall impressions narrow minded.

Are you getting the impression that I don't like it when these bigger, mainstreamed, time-honored publications review technology items?? It would be much better if they would hire a writer/freelancer with the appropriate background and experience rather than giving the assignment to a "journalist" or staff writer who may or may not have a freakin' clue what he/she's looking at.

Too many people read these articles and then don't form their own opinions; or even explore other technology venues. They take the word of The Journal or The Times, and these guys don't even really have the qualifications or experience to review this stuff. Ticks me off...

Yes, I'd like a chance to write for any of the mentioned publications. Yes, I think any of the writers/ editors at ANY of the major enthusiast sites (Pocket PC Thoughts, pocketnow.com, PPC Passion, The Gadgeteer, etc.) could do a MUCH better job of reviewing the technology. I wonder if they'll ever get a clue and either educate their preferred writers or give one of us a chance...?

Jason, have you pursued this? I think you'd carry enough weight and talent to give these guys the clue they need...

JonnoB
07-30-2004, 04:42 PM
Media/journalists in particular have long ago left the realm of objective reporting and have increasingly participated in reporting in Op/Ed style. The general bias towards business, tech markets, politics, etc is glaring. Of course, these guys we are talking about are supposed to be opinion reporters, but it seems quite odd that they are so slanted against anything MS does... and those that recognize it as such will be called MS fanboys (or girls) for merely suggesting that the opinion is anything but the truth.

Jon Westfall
07-30-2004, 05:38 PM
Media/journalists in particular have long ago left the realm of objective reporting and have increasingly participated in reporting in Op/Ed style. The general bias towards business, tech markets, politics, etc is glaring. Of course, these guys we are talking about are supposed to be opinion reporters, but it seems quite odd that they are so slanted against anything MS does... and those that recognize it as such will be called MS fanboys (or girls) for merely suggesting that the opinion is anything but the truth.

I agree.

whydidnt
07-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Any journalist that out of hand says "Finally, remember that this device runs the Microsoft PocketPC operating system, which is nobody's idea of simple" is NOT reporting the news, but stating an opinion that just isn't true. I think it's simple, much more simple to understand than the POS.

It's obvious the reporter has never used BOTH operating systems for any amount of time, and forgot about how "complex" it was to use Palm when he first got it.

I use both PPC and POS on a regular basis. The only reason I use POS is the awesome keyboard on the UX-50. But it seems I'm forever pressing the HOME key followed by the category of my next program, followed by the program. Not to start the old debate again, it just ticks me off when reporters spout the PALM is easy, PPC is complex line as if it's some sort of gospel. :evil:

If the reporter had ever tried to deal with Sonys stupid confusing memory layout, or POS lack of a file system, he would sing a differet song about complexity. :twisted:

Jason Dunn
07-30-2004, 06:49 PM
Yes, I'd like a chance to write for any of the mentioned publications. Yes, I think any of the writers/ editors at ANY of the major enthusiast sites (Pocket PC Thoughts, pocketnow.com, PPC Passion, The Gadgeteer, etc.) could do a MUCH better job of reviewing the technology. I wonder if they'll ever get a clue and either educate their preferred writers or give one of us a chance...?

I agree, but no, I haven't really pursued it. Writing a book for MS Press is about the closest I've come to mainstream. ;-) I'm still pursuing writing an article for Maximum PC (been a goal of mine for a couple of years), but in terms of a mainsteam US publication, no, that's not something I've pursued. It would be awfully cool though. :-)