View Full Version : New to all this

zitmanatwork
07-28-2004, 01:29 PM
Hi all,

I am new to the whole PPC thing. I have a requirement to create an system which will consist of a server application sitting on a PC and a client application sitting on an IPAQ. These two will be linked via a WIFI link.

I would like to be able to run the server app on the desktop unit and for the PPC client to be able to receive data from the server end. Depending on the nature of this data it would then either simply display it on the screen, process it and display a result or store it locally.

I have seen some code in an MS Press book (.NET Compact Framework) which uses Sockets to achieve this but I cannot get it to work. I do not know if I need IIS for instance running on the server PC for sockets to work.

Can anyone point me in an appropriate direction please.

Thanks, and sorry for the epic posting!

Ian

Brad Adrian
07-28-2004, 02:41 PM
I'm not a developer, but I'm sure others who are will be able to give you some advice. I just wanted to mention a couple of other good resources. The Microsoft Web site has a lot of information about developing for the Pocket PC and other mobile devices:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/prodtechinfo/platforms/windowsmobile/default.aspx

There's also a link to the developer newsgroup:

microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer

In any event, welcome to the club! If there's anything else you need, this is the place to ask.

paulzazzarino
07-29-2004, 04:56 PM
There is a good book out on developing mobile apps:
Building Solutions with the .NET CF Framework - Addison Wesley Fox/Box 353pp

Basically depnding upon the connectivity provided by your network you can develop your app in different ways. For example if your network is up 100% of the time. Develop it on the web server and use IE on the handheld. If you need to provide 7x24 support and anticipate network outages then you want to develop remote applications in a client-server model. Then you can use .NET/CF or eVB or eVC on the mobile device and .NET and VS/VC++ on the server side. In this case you would use sockets. For a Web server app you don't need to do any socket coding.