View Full Version : World of PPC Reviews HP iPAQ 6340

marlof
07-28-2004, 11:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://worldofppc.com/HWTests/6340.htm' target='_blank'>http://worldofppc.com/HWTests/6340.htm</a><br /><br /></div>Andreas Erle of World of PPC has reviewed the European version of the new iPAQ 6300 series. This version is similar to the version that will be released in the US, but only the version without the camera will be initially available. I think HP did this especially for our own Jonathon. ;) Andreas is really pleased with this device (High Class; Super Stable; pleasing design), and states that the 6340 will be released at the end of September. The linked article is in German, but you can also have <a href="http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=mozclient&u=http%3A//worldofppc.com/HWTests/6340.htm">Google</a> take care of the translation to English for you.

Klinsmann
07-28-2004, 12:54 PM
This is the most unprofessional "review" i've ever seen.
No word about the poor cpu performance, the poor display or the thickness.

You can get more informations from every datasheet. :cry:

But what did we expect... this guy is simply not independent. :splat:

Jonathon Watkins
07-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Welcome Klinsmann. :)

I've seen worse reviews, I've seen better. Perhaps he was happy with all three items mentioned?

Marlof, agreed about the good thing HP did removing the camera, but that should be the default configuration of a PPC. :wink: The embedded camera option should always be secondary, rather than the main unit. Otherwise with an embedded camera I bet I'll just Luuuuuve checking my PPC in at the door. :?

marlof
07-28-2004, 01:57 PM
This is the most unprofessional "review" i've ever seen. No word about the poor cpu performance, the poor display or the thickness.

So you've had personal experiences with this device? Feel free to tell us more. Personally, I like to read everything people write about their own usage of this device. This review isn't as thorough as for instance the PocketNow review we linked to earlier, but it does show the fact that Andreas liked the unit, and that's fine by me.

Paul P
07-28-2004, 02:41 PM
H6315 is growing on me more and more, despite the CPU. Not carrying around my cell will be great.

Jon Westfall
07-28-2004, 02:51 PM
This is the most unprofessional "review" i've ever seen.

You can get more informations from every datasheet. :cry:

But what did we expect... this guy is simply not independent. :splat:

Yea, and it wasn't even in english... I hate when others refuse to bow down to my language... :mrgreen:

jasondearyou
07-28-2004, 02:51 PM
does anyone know if this one will be unlocked? If so maybe other people could buy it from there and use it on their network anywhere around the world?

surur
07-28-2004, 03:31 PM
If they are selling to consumers they should really have included the camera. The direct competitor to the HP6300 will be the XDA2 and 3. The XDA's are more powerful and the 3 has everything the HP has, accept for the long battery life.

When selling to business of course, not having the camera may be a plus, but it certainly has not hurt the uptake of the XDA2.

Surur

Sven Johannsen
07-28-2004, 03:38 PM
Maybe he ascribes to the old adage..If you don't have anything nice to say, shut up. He does indicate disappointment with only 64M and only an SD slot.

The memory and processor choice has been chalked up to a tradeoff for battery life, which has been reviewed as substantial. A device that is marginally bigger than a 2215, with the battery life reported, and including GSM/GPRS is perfectly acceptable to many. It may be a little chunky, but it is certainly smaller than my 4155 and T610 combined. I can just imagine what folks would have said if HP had shoehorned it all into a 4155 body and supported 30 min talk and 8hrs standby.

Sven Johannsen
07-28-2004, 03:43 PM
If they are selling to consumers they should really have included the camera. ...When selling to business of course, not having the camera may be a plus
Surur

Why does that have to be a consumer/business focus/choice? What's wrong with just two models. I'm a consumer, which means I pay for it myself, and I need the non-camera version. I can imagine a realty or insurance firm outfitting their agents with these, and there a camera would be a real plus.

Incidentally, if you notice above, I have a T610, with a camera. I can't take it in where I go because of the camera. I could take a phone in, but it doesn't work within the shield anyway. I can bring the 4155. With the camera'd 6300, I'd have to leave the whole thing outside and lose the PPC function.

Ryan Joseph
07-28-2004, 04:23 PM
I could take a phone in, but it doesn't work within the shield anyway.

Whoa...a phone sheild? 8O Where do you work, the FBI? :wink: Out of curiosity, how does it work? How can they block all mobile phone communications within a building?

But back on topic...this device is growing on me, too. I'd lose the extra memory and faster processor my i-mate has, but I'd gain WiFi and insane battery life. Hmmmm....life's full of tough decisions. No matter what we're talking about there's always a tradeoff. Which would I rather have? I haven't made up my mind yet. :?

Johan
07-28-2004, 05:50 PM
Well I will be waitng for the MPx instead, for sure.

Sven Johannsen
07-28-2004, 05:56 PM
I could take a phone in, but it doesn't work within the shield anyway.

Whoa...a phone sheild? 8O Where do you work, the FBI? :wink: Out of curiosity, how does it work? How can they block all mobile phone communications within a building?

Don't forget, it's just a radio. It's not hard to do. Check your signal strength inside a big metal warehouse, like a SAMS. Mostly the shields are designed to keep electromagnetic emissions from getting out, but they pretty effectively keep it from getting in too. It's sort of amusing when folks forget to turn their phones off. The poor little things boost their output to max looking for a cell to connect to and often drain the battery before the day is out.

And no, not FBI, but I do communications work for gov and military customers. That sort of explains the camera restriction, doesn't it ;)

Kai920
07-28-2004, 06:33 PM
H6315 is growing on me more and more, despite the CPU. Not carrying around my cell will be great.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Though I do have a 'convergence' device now (XDA I), I'm looking to upgrade it, and the H63xx is looking pretty attractive. The only complaints I can find on the H63xx are

1/ its antenna (like my XDA I, but larger)
2/ lack of 2003SE

I'm willing to overlook those, so the only question that remains is how day-to-day operations and multimedia will feel with this 'slow' CPU. But what the heck, if I'm getting 7+ hours of usage out of the battery on a single charge, that should offset the mediocre speed. 0X

Paul P
07-29-2004, 03:36 AM
The only complaints I can find on the H63xx are

1/ its antenna (like my XDA I, but larger)
2/ lack of 2003SE

I'm willing to overlook those, so the only question that remains is how day-to-day operations and multimedia will feel with this 'slow' CPU. But what the heck, if I'm getting 7+ hours of usage out of the battery on a single charge, that should offset the mediocre speed. 0X

Could be another "minor" problem:

T-Mobile's basic $79.99 monthly rate plan for the 6315 includes 1,000 minutes of anytime voice calling, plus unlimited data: e-mail, Web pages, instant messaging. That includes free use of T-Mobile Wi-Fi hot spots, such as those at Starbucks. The $89.99 plan adds the ability to redirect your corporate e-mail to the device. Source: WSJ

Ouch, I hope they will be more flexible.