View Full Version : MSNBC's Gary Krakow Looks at New iPAQs

Jason Dunn
07-27-2004, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5519842/' target='_blank'>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5519842/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"It’s that time of year again. The hardware companies are beginning to unveil their new products aimed at everything from hooking the back-to-schoolers to planting thoughts of much desired Christmas gifts. In that vein, Hewlett-Packard unleashed a whole new line of its iPAQ Pocket PC PDAs onto the marketplace today."</i><br /><br />Gary Krakow weighs on on the new iPAQs, although this article focuses mostly on his experience with the new iPAQ 6300. Some of you have been wondering why HP went with a TI OMAP process rather than a burly Xscale processor. Here's why:<br /><br /><i>"Battery life seemed to be way above normal: more than two days in between charges, even with WiFi and GPRS going most of the time."</i>

Zack Mahdavi
07-27-2004, 07:05 PM
Dang... that's one long battery life! I didn't realize the TI processors were so much more efficient.

entropy1980
07-27-2004, 07:07 PM
Interesting he says:

"(As always, before buying any new device you intend to connect to your work computers, consult with your IT manager first. For his or her benefit, I'll add that all the new iPAQs are running Microsoft Windows 2003 Second Edition operating system for Pocket PCs.)"
Either he's misinformed or :twisted:

Jonathan1
07-27-2004, 07:16 PM
Interesting he says:

"(As always, before buying any new device you intend to connect to your work computers, consult with your IT manager first. For his or her benefit, I'll add that all the new iPAQs are running Microsoft Windows 2003 Second Edition operating system for Pocket PCs.)"

Nice :roll:

Never send a journalist to do a geek's job.

Ryan Joseph
07-27-2004, 07:17 PM
"...even with WiFi and GPRS going most of the time."

Whoa! 8O That's big news! My i-mate would be dead in less than a day if I didn't keep GPRS disconnected most of the time! Whenever I forget to disconnect and leave it on, it's completely drained in a matter of hours.

That's really cool! Suddenly the 6300 looks much more appealing. :wink:

jmbneaf
07-27-2004, 07:18 PM
I may be reading too much into it ; but, the extra time to deliver the H6315 to store shelves could be the time needed to finalize WM2003SE on the device. :?:

It would be sweet if that's the case 8)

-JB

entropy1980
07-27-2004, 07:21 PM
I may be reading too much into it ; but, the extra time to deliver the H6315 to store shelves could be the time needed to finalize WM2003SE on the device. :?:

It would be sweet if that's the case 8)

-JB

Maybe! I really think HP is waiting to see what Moto does with the MPX....and when it's released you will see HP clamor to match what it can...

ctitanic
07-27-2004, 07:29 PM
Interesting he says:

Either he's misinformed or :twisted:

I found weird that too....

Kevin Daly
07-27-2004, 07:52 PM
I was surprised (taken aback,even) that he thinks the 6300 is the top-of-the-line model.
0X

Jon Westfall
07-27-2004, 07:58 PM
I was surprised (taken aback,even) that he thinks the 6300 is the top-of-the-line model.
0X

Aside from the slower processor and only 64 MB of RAM, what exactly do you think is not "top-of-the-line" about it? Sure the others may have faster processors or more ram, but they don't hold a candle to the connectivity of this model. I look at the total package, and think this offers a lot more than 95% of pocket pcs on the market. I've already sold my i-mate and am dying to get my hands on one!

doc
07-27-2004, 08:11 PM
He states that it has everything above, but it's missing a CF slot. I'd be all over it if it had CF too.

Sven Johannsen
07-27-2004, 08:16 PM
He states that it has everything above, but it's missing a CF slot. I'd be all over it if it had CF too.

It's also missing the VGA screen, which it seems was lost on him.

In any case Some models come with a VGA camera built-in. (My sample did not.)

I want his.

boldbidder
07-27-2004, 08:18 PM
"...even with WiFi and GPRS going most of the time."

Whoa! 8O That's big news! My i-mate would be dead in less than a day if I didn't keep GPRS disconnected most of the time! Whenever I forget to disconnect and leave it on, it's completely drained in a matter of hours.

That's really cool! Suddenly the 6300 looks much more appealing. :wink:

I don't think Mr. Krakow had his connection enabled constantly, but rather was doing intermittent browsing via GPRS or WiFi. I'd read about TI implementing new chipsets that allow 'deep sleep' for wireless connection and still be connected, but I don't think that is what's happening here.

dean_shan
07-27-2004, 08:45 PM
As always, before buying any new device you intend to connect to your work computers, consult with your IT manager first.

You better or they'll be pretty ticked when you break something and just drop it in IT's lap to fix. I think fellow IT workers can agree with me.

Kevin Daly
07-27-2004, 08:54 PM
Aside from the slower processor and only 64 MB of RAM, what exactly do you think is not "top-of-the-line" about it? Sure the others may have faster processors or more ram, but they don't hold a candle to the connectivity of this model.

The extra connectivity lies entirely in its ability to connect to a cellular network.
That's all very nice, but adding the ability to connect to overpriced phone networks to the two wireless options most of the other models have doesn't make this top of the line.
I would definitely add "limited to QVGA resolution" to what I think is not "top-of-the-line about it". I don't actually think that it would be worth compromising the apparently excellent battery life by including a VGA capability, but those considerations are of course precisely why Phone Edition devices have never been the powerhouses of the Pocket PC world.
These judgements are of course highly subjective, depending on which features matter most to particular people. 0X

JonnoB
07-27-2004, 09:06 PM
Does the the 63xx have a cover (flip cover aka Jornada)?
Does it have VGA resolution?
Does it include a CF slot?
Does it include the Second Edition OS?

Jeff Rutledge
07-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Does the the 63xx have a cover (flip cover aka Jornada)?I don't believe it does.
Does it have VGA resolution?No. :(
Does it include a CF slot?No, just one SDIO.
Does it include the Second Edition OS?No, it ships with 2003. I believe the plan is to make SE available later. &lt;insert cynical remark here>

entropy1980
07-27-2004, 09:12 PM
Does the the 63xx have a cover (flip cover aka Jornada)?
Does it have VGA resolution?
Does it include a CF slot?
Does it include the Second Edition OS?

No but it does include:
GSM/GPRS, WiFi, and Bluetooth. With the ability to automatically tranfer data connections from WiFi to GPRS and vise versa.
MUCH MORE energy efficient processor
VGA camera

All of which the 47xx doesn't. I don't think high end is the question that should be asked. I think it is no doubt high end name another available Pocket PC with all the features built-in.

JonnoB
07-27-2004, 09:20 PM
The 63xx doesn't have CIR either I believe.

The point in posing the question is that 'high end' is in the eye of the beholder - that is until someone puts everything into a unified device.

entropy1980
07-27-2004, 09:21 PM
The 63xx doesn't have CIR either I believe.

The point in posing the question is that 'high end' is in the eye of the beholder - that is until someone puts everything into a unified device.
I can accept that but still the 6300 is the first to include 3 forms of wireless in one device...

Rudolf
07-27-2004, 09:52 PM
I can accept that but still the 6300 is the first to include 3 forms of wireless in one device...
4 to be exact :D
IR is also a wireless technology. It's just uses a MUCH HIGHER frequency than the others :lol:

Jonathan1
07-27-2004, 11:52 PM
You better or they'll be pretty ticked when you break something and just drop it in IT's lap to fix. I think fellow IT workers can agree with me.

No I wouldn't be pissed at all. In fact go ahead and drop off your device when there are problems. You can pick it up off of EBay later in the day if you want. :wink: :) I will slap the crap out of anyone in our office that so much looks at the USB port the wrong way. :bad-words: I deal with enough issues on our network and systems without needing to deal with unauthed hardware and software some user installs because they think these company owned systems are their own personal computer that they can do whatever they want to and are just just like their home computers so what harm can installing a simple PDA and its software cause. :iamwithstupid:

entropy1980
07-27-2004, 11:55 PM
No I wouldn't be pissed at all. In fact go ahead and drop off your device when there are problems. You can pick it up off of EBay later in the day if you want. :wink: :) I will slap the crap out of anyone in our office that so much looks at the USB port the wrong way. :bad-words: I deal with enough issues on our network and systems without needing to deal with unauthed hardware and software some user installs because they think their systems are their computers and just like their home computers so what harm can installing a simple PDA cause.
:iamwithstupid:

AMEN!!!

dean_shan
07-28-2004, 12:18 AM
Nice rant Jonathan :werenotworthy: Very well put, I like the Ebay idea. :twisted: