View Full Version : Need some quick help PLEASE!

GSibble
07-27-2004, 02:15 AM
Hey everyone! I'm very excited about the WM2003SE upgrade, but I have a problem:

the file you DL from the Toshiba site only extracts to the C: drive. I use F: as my main drive and I do not have a C:.

Because I don't have a C:, I can't install the upgrade!!

Can someone quickly zip up the contents of the toshiba upgrade and either send it to me (PM me for my email) or post it somewhere real quick so I can download it?

I believe the files are:

1. ReadMeFirst.pdf
2. e800-e805_UpgradeGuide.pdf
3. FlashV100_e4xxe8xx_WWE.zip
4. Image-e800-2.0000.0409-wm2003se-wlan.zip
5. CV23_Viewers_e800_ENG.ZIP
6. setup_TTS_106.zip
7. setup_VC_107.zip
8. EULA.pdf

Thanks guys!

-GPS

Kati Compton
07-27-2004, 02:57 AM
If you have WinZIP or WinRAR, try starting up the program, and from THERE open the .ese file. It may give you the option to "extract" wherever you'd like.

Kati Compton
07-27-2004, 03:02 AM
In fact, if you have either of those two programs installed, you should be able to right click on the file and choose where to extract to. It works for me - I just downloaded it to test. So create a new directory, put the exe in that directory, right click on it, and "extract to here".

GSibble
07-27-2004, 03:10 AM
Well, that would work, except:

That's the original file you download. It then extracts another .exe which cannot be opened using WinRAR or WinZIP (I have both and I can't do it with either).

So can you send em over to me? :(

Kati Compton
07-27-2004, 03:19 AM
That is the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard of. (Not you, the forced C:\)

I don't know that my email account (or yours) will allow for it (the biggest file is 18 megs zipped). But PM me your email address and I can try.

GSibble
07-27-2004, 03:24 AM
Isn't it? I sent you the email addy! Thanks!

Janak Parekh
07-27-2004, 03:36 AM
It's probably too late, but a "SUBST C: F:\" at the command prompt would have probably done the trick. ;)

("SUBST C: /D" would delete the association after the fact.)

--janak

GSibble
07-27-2004, 03:38 AM
It's probably too late, but a "SUBST C: F:\" at the command prompt would have probably done the trick. ;)

("SUBST C: /D" would delete the association after the fact.)

--janak

YOU RULE!!! IT WORKED!!!!

Thanks as always Janak!!

-GPS

Kati Compton
07-27-2004, 03:38 AM
Well, given that the 18MB file is only 48% sent to him, maybe he should try your trick, Janak.

I'll let this keep going, but if you're watching, try that.

EDIT: I'm cancelling the email then. ;)

Janak Parekh
07-27-2004, 03:41 AM
Glad to hear it. :) I also gave Kati's cable modem a rest... ;) Good luck with the flashing -- it went flawlessly for me when following the instructions.

--janak

GSibble
07-27-2004, 03:42 AM
Thanks again for everything guys! You were incredibly helpful!

-GPS

Steven Cedrone
07-27-2004, 03:44 AM

Now when was the last time you had to use that one! :wink: You are indeed a wealth of information! :werenotworthy: :wink:

Steve

Jason Dunn
07-27-2004, 04:10 AM
For what it's worth, I once had a laptop that didn't have C: as the main drive, and it was HELL - nothing but problems. I don't know how you ended up with F: as your primary drive, but you're likely to continue to run into problems.

Janak Parekh
07-27-2004, 04:15 AM
Now when was the last time you had to use that one! :wink: You are indeed a wealth of information! :werenotworthy: :wink:
More frequently than you'd expect in consulting scenarios, actually. I'd say about once a year, still... although nowadays, I more frequently do a network mapping of a machine to itself to accomplish a similar effect. Still, SUBST comes to mind first. Comes from years and years of DOS use; since 2.0 mostly, with a little bit of 1.x thrown in... geez, I've been using the DOS-style command-prompt for about 22 years and running now. 8O

--janak

Steven Cedrone
07-27-2004, 01:29 PM
geez, I've been using the DOS-style command-prompt for about 22 years and running now. 8O

A hold out, huh? :wink: I used to keep jumping back to the command prompt, but I've broken myself of that habit now. (and yes, I absolutely hated Windows when it first came out - I still have version 1.05 on 5 1/4 floppies) Still, it just goes to show that all of that aquired knowledge still comes in handy. Maybe it's time to brush up on my "old" DOS skills since you have just reminded us that you never know when you're going to need them! :wink:

Steve

BTW, I almost hate to ask how old you were when you started to use DOS! :wink:

Sven Johannsen
07-27-2004, 02:30 PM

He must have been about 5 :wink:

Steven Cedrone
07-27-2004, 02:51 PM
He must have been about 5 :wink:

That's the number I came up with as well! :wink:

Steve

Janak Parekh
07-27-2004, 04:44 PM
A hold out, huh? :wink: I used to keep jumping back to the command prompt
I still do, and will never stop, considering I'm also a heavy user of UNIX command-lines. ;) Start=>Run=>CMD=>Enter is second nature...

Sven is more-or-less correct. ;) Hey, there wasn't much else back then. Apart from C64 BASIC and the like. :P

--janak

GSibble
07-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Start=>Run=>CMD=>Enter is second nature...

No way dude. It's WINDOWS SYMBOL+R->Enter. I never run anything else :)

-GPS

Jason Dunn
07-27-2004, 05:08 PM
I still do, and will never stop, considering I'm also a heavy user of UNIX command-lines. ;) Start=>Run=>CMD=>Enter is second nature...

And watching your check your command-line email is a thrill unto itself. :lol:

Jason Dunn
07-27-2004, 05:09 PM

Hey, cool - I didn't know about that shortcut! :-)

Janak Parekh
07-27-2004, 05:10 PM
Of course. I "call" it by the UI elements, but Win+R is the only way to do that. :P

And watching your check your command-line email is a thrill unto itself. :lol:
I thought you felt sorry for me when you watched me run Mutt (www.mutt.org). ;) You were certainly shaking your head...

--janak

dean_shan
07-27-2004, 06:44 PM
the file you DL from the Toshiba site only extracts to the C: drive. I use F: as my main drive and I do not have a C:.

You can change the drive letter. IF you are in Win2K or XP Pro (not sure about home, never use it) right click on 'My Computer' then select 'manage'. Then click 'Disk Management'. Right Click on your drive and choose 'Change Drive Letter'. A word of warning, this might screw up some of the programs you already have installed.

PS thanks for the keyboard shortcut

Janak Parekh
07-27-2004, 06:59 PM
You can change the drive letter. IF you are in Win2K or XP Pro (not sure about home, never use it) right click on 'My Computer' then select 'manage'. Then click 'Disk Management'. Right Click on your drive and choose 'Change Drive Letter'. A word of warning, this might screw up some of the programs you already have installed.
You can't (shouldn't?) trivially change the system drive, though.

--janak

dean_shan
07-27-2004, 07:22 PM
You can't (shouldn't?) trivially change the system drive, though.

Hence the word of warning.