View Full Version : Device IDs When Upgrading

DiGiTYZED
07-27-2004, 12:51 AM
I just upgraded from WM2003 to WM2003 SE. I haven't put my device back into the cradle since upgrading. I want to give my device the same Device ID it had before the upgrade. Obviously ActiveSync still has the old partnership with that Device ID stored.

Can I simply use the same Device ID and cradle my device? Or do I have to give it a different ID before cradling because it can cause a conflict (being it's a different ROM, kernal, OS, etc. than before)?

Fishie
07-27-2004, 02:34 AM
I tried the same and sadly it does not work.

Fishie
07-27-2004, 02:34 AM
That or I was too stupid to make it work.

Fishie
07-27-2004, 02:35 AM
I consider myself rather intelligent and technologicaly aware though so I would appreciate it if others reach the same conclusion I did.

That of course being I ROCK and its impossible.

Sven Johannsen
07-27-2004, 02:39 AM
You cannot use the same ID for two different devices, and right now your new, upgraded PPC is a different device. You can, however delete the partnership stored on the PC by going to file/mobile device in ActiveSync, selecting your device, and then deleteing it from the file menu. You'll get the option to remove the sync'd files folder or not. I normally say no.

Then you can give your 'new' PPC the same old name. You create a new partnership, and it will even use the same old sync'd files folder. I would recommend making a backup copy of that stuff just in case.

Fishie
07-27-2004, 02:51 AM
Sven thats what I did so you agree with me then?

I ROCK.

DiGiTYZED
07-27-2004, 05:32 AM
ditto

Sven Johannsen
07-27-2004, 02:45 PM
Sven thats what I did so you agree with me then?

I ROCK.

It's not really a matter of agreeing, that's just how it's done ;) But you can still ROCK. Funny how we get attached to the name and don't really want to change it. Even building a new desktop, one of the tougher decisions is what am I gonna name it.