View Full Version : How do I delete corrupted files from iPaq file store?

cizco962
07-26-2004, 07:03 PM
I made the mistake of trying to use my HP 1945 as a voice recorder w/o a flash memory card and recording straight to "iPaq file store". Left it recording for about 5 mins. Tried opening the file to listen to it and found three corrupted files where I had the voice memo and two other files. To make a long story short, I ended up doing a hard reset because the PPC kept freezing whenever I tried to access my files or Pocket Excel (my used program). Everything is reset but those files are still there in "file store". When I try to delete them I get an error message saying: "The file is a system file. If you remove it, your device or one of your programs may no longer work correctly. Are you sure you want to delete it?" When I confirm it I get a simple error message saying Problem deleting file.

Is there any way to manually delete these three files or do I have to send my PPC to Hp and have them reflash the memory? I've emailed them already but since I'm so dependent on my device I need help from anybody that is willing and able, thanks.

Jeff Rutledge
07-26-2004, 07:15 PM
How are you deleting the files? Are you using File Explorer on the PPC? If so, you may have better luck using ActiveSync (click the Explore button) on the PC.

powder2000
07-26-2004, 07:24 PM
Being that I don't have a newer pocket pc, this is only a guess, but is there a utility to reformat the file store?

cizco962
07-26-2004, 07:32 PM
How are you deleting the files? Are you using File Explorer on the PPC? If so, you may have better luck using ActiveSync (click the Explore button) on the PC.

Yes I am using File Explorer. How do I do it with ActiveSync? I get the same error message then also...

On one of the files I get a message that file cannot be found. And whats weird is that I barely got this Ipaq in April and the file is dated 02/22/80.

Jeff Rutledge
07-26-2004, 07:36 PM
Hmmm...that is strange.

So you can't delete it with File Explorer on the device or by using Explore when connected via ActiveSync? You could try installing another file explorer (Resco (http://www.resco-net.com/explorer.asp)would be a good one to try) and see if it has any better luck.

cizco962
07-26-2004, 07:42 PM
thanks for the help, i'll try that and get back to you.

Small Town Man
07-26-2004, 09:25 PM
If this does not help, I can send you an utility to format the file store.

cizco962
07-29-2004, 08:15 PM
Hmmm...that is strange.

So you can't delete it with File Explorer on the device or by using Explore when connected via ActiveSync? You could try installing another file explorer (Resco (http://www.resco-net.com/explorer.asp)would be a good one to try) and see if it has any better luck.
:|
Tried deleting files and nothing happened, then when I selected file store folder I noticed there was an option to format it so I tried that. My screen then just froze and would not respond so I had to soft reset it.
I'm getting really peeved off and dont know what else to do, Small Town could you post or send that format utility you were talking about so that I can try it. Thanks

thendless
07-30-2004, 04:31 AM
Hmmm...that is strange.

:|
Tried deleting files and nothing happened, then when I selected file store folder I noticed there was an option to format it so I tried that. My screen then just froze and would not respond so I had to soft reset it.
I'm getting really peeved off and dont know what else to do, Small Town could you post or send that format utility you were talking about so that I can try it. Thanks

Bad news man, I had this problem 9 months ago and after doing extensive forum searches found that the issue is in the rom itself and you need to send it back to HP to reflash. I ended up sending it back and they gave me a brand new iPAQ with a fresh new warrenty :)