View Full Version : Would you buy ugly Hardware?

mesposito2
07-26-2004, 05:05 PM
All,

I've been using the 2215 since it came out. As a PocketInformant user, I've been waiting for years for the additional resolution that I would get in the new IPAQ 4700. I think the Calendar views will be a lot more usable. I guess everything will benefit.

However, I find the 4700 one ugly piece of hardware, at least from the photos I've seen, especially when compared to the 2215. They've removed all of the chrome, which in my opinion is what gave the device such a great look, along with the non-boxy shape.

Form vs Function is a very subjective thing, but I just have a hard time buying a device that I think is even moderately ugly, even if it functions fine. Also, the $649 wouldn't come into play for me, but now it does.

It doesn't do any good complaining to HP, as they've done what they've done. Someone at HP must think these new devices look great.

Does anyone think the 4700 is a great looking PDA?

Mark

Darius Wey
07-26-2004, 05:19 PM
I think it looks reasonably good. We may just not be used to it since the whole iPAQ image has been given a makeover, but given time, I'm sure the image of the new units will embed in our mind and we won't have to worry too much about appearance, and instead, focus a little more on the functionality of the unit.

Kati Compton
07-26-2004, 05:30 PM
I don't think it's *good* looking, but I'm not sure it's ugly either.

I think the top part "looks" wasted (even though I'm sure it's packed with circuitry or antennas). I think if it had a couple buttons up there (for use in landscape) that would have made it more functional, and allowed people to overlook all that casing up there.

Pat Logsdon
07-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Does anyone think the 4700 is a great looking PDA?
Nope. I think it looks like a slab, and that's why I'm leaning toward the Asus A730. My Axim X5 was more of a brick but at least it didn't LOOK like one... :?

HP needs to hire someone with some design sensibility, or they're going to lose the ground they gained with the 19xx and 4xxx devices.

Darius Wey
07-26-2004, 05:41 PM
HP needs to hire someone with some design sensibility, or they're going to lose the ground they gained with the 19xx and 4xxx devices.

Yeah...I still think my 1940 looks great due to its small and slim form factor! Not even one of the smaller pockets on my jeans is too small for my 1940. :D

Steven Cedrone
07-26-2004, 05:59 PM
I guess I'm in the minority, I like the way it looks! It looks very business-like and reminds me of my Jornada!

Steve

Darius Wey
07-26-2004, 06:03 PM
I guess I'm in the minority, I like the way it looks! It looks very business-like and reminds me of my Jornada!

Definitely business-like! That's what I initially thought! I guess that just makes two of us. :D

Robb Bates
07-26-2004, 06:08 PM
I could care less what my PPC looks like, as long as it's functional.

Having said that, the looks follow the shape and the shape follows function, so a device that functions well will have a nice shape and therefore and nice look.

What I mean is no one is going to want a PPC, even if had every feature you could every want, that looks like a rubber chicken (OK, some might).

I'd want one that is small enough to carry conveniently, but big enough to use, is comfotable and easy to hold, doesn't have sharp edges or corners, doesn't have rubber side grips that fall apart (can you guess which PPC I have?) and has easy access to the ports and cards. Now take all those requirements and make a PPC. You're going to get a certain shape. The new iPAQs do that and that's good enough for me.

Now one PPC I didn't want is the Dell Axims. Not the new ones. I'm talking about the big ugly bricks. Too big. Too bulky. Why get one of those when I can get my h2215 (oops, now you know) that does pretty much everything the Axims did but in a smaller form factor?

Sure, the h2215 and the 4150 were sexy little devices. And that has some appeal to some people. But it won't make me want to buy one. Now, if given a choice between two devices with the same capabilities, of course I choose the nicer looking one, but that's not the first thing on my list.

I guess cars are the same way for me. I'll take a minivan over a sports car. Mainly because the police frown on you when you strap your nine year old to the roof of your Mustang.

Robb

WyattEarp
07-26-2004, 06:25 PM
To answer your question, No. But at the same time I don't like the way most of the PPCs look. Most of them are squarish without individuality. The new iPAQs are very different from what we are use to seeing so if you can just let go of the old style you may get to like the new look. But do get something you can bear to look st so that you are inclined to use it otherwise it becomes a waste of money. I personally like the look of the 4700.

Off Topic: Question to you former and/or current Jornada users. How does the 4700 remind you of the Jornada. I know it's all a matter of perference but I didn't like that device at device. What did you like about it?

mesposito2
07-26-2004, 06:35 PM
Off Topic: Question to you former and/or current Jornada users. How does the 4700 remind you of the Jornada. I know it's all a matter of perference but I didn't like that device at device. What did you like about it?

Actually, I owned the Jornada 568 before the 2215, and I loved them both. I thought they both had great design elements. The coloring of the cases where very visually appealing.

From photos, I think the black plastic on the 4700 face takes away from the design.

Another thing I didn't mention was that I am usually a loyal customer, not just for the sake of being loyal, but also because of the safety in the track record. I really want to buy a new IPAQ. Just trying to get around the fact that it doesn't look very slick to me. (I also own a sports car though, so maybe the looks are more important to me. )

Mark

Jeff Rutledge
07-26-2004, 06:54 PM

Definitely business-like! That's what I initially thought! I guess that just makes two of us. :D

Make it three. I think it looks pretty good. Not the sexiest thing going, but it looks OK go me.

mesposito2
07-26-2004, 07:10 PM
Actually, I just saw a photo of an all-black version on PocketPCTools, and it did look a lot nicer that the two-tone version I see on Hp's sight.

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2004/ipaq/images/h4700_ww.jpg

Mark

juni
07-27-2004, 06:29 AM
I would have to see one in person before making a judgement. I thought the 2210 looked sort of ugly until I got one (images didn't do it justice). But from pictures I'd say it is one ugly device. :D

Stake
07-27-2004, 07:45 AM
Looks does factor in (even subconsciously) to the final purchase especially with the advent of the iPod or Apple in general. Really, who doesn't like to look at something beatiful?

Take a look at the Moto V3 that was announced yesterday:
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/motorola-v3-en.shtml

Now that's beautiful...

I'm in the "I like the look" boat for the 4705. I feel you do have to see it in person to make a final decision. I just like the fact it's all business and understated. I also think that the symmetry works very well in landscape after seeing the PCMag pictures.

But in the end, it's all about the buyer's opinion and how functional it is. People have been using PCs in beige boxes for years and no one really cared because it was functional. As many designers/manufacturers have found out, pretty always sells more no matter what you're selling or touting (professional models, movie stars, booth babes.)

For me, function over form, always...if it's pretty too, that's just a really nice bonus.

KimVette
07-27-2004, 07:24 PM
If I could choose between an expandable-but-ugly PPC (whether through sleds or sleeves), or a really pretty-but-useless PPC (such as the new iPAQs) I'd choose functionality. But, since HP and Casio have abandoned power users (no sled or sleeve expansion, ONLY 64MB RAM, etc.) I'm abandoning the PPC for tablets or OQO when I upgrade.

I don't buy technology items to accessorize. I buy technology solutions to solve problems.

shawnc
07-27-2004, 08:36 PM
I thought the 2215 and 4150 were the best looking PDA's yet. I went with the 4150 because I didn't want the added heft accompanied by an unnecessary (for me anyway) CF drive. But the 2215 was the better looker.

I have been trying so hard to get excited about the new HP line, but I simply can't do it. They are ALL steps backward from the 2215/4150 in terms of looks. Additionally, they are simply not a large enough step forward technology-wise to compel me to upgrade given the steep price tag.

I don't know what HP was thinking, but they really blew it this time. My guess is that you will get a few techno-phobes to purchase these machines, but for the most part they will be dead in the water. Expect huge price cuts and rebates in a few months.

The folks at Dell and Asus must feel like they just hit the lottery.

Damion Chaplin
07-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Well, I like the look of the new iPAQs. I agree with the prior post that the symmetry makes using landscape much nicer (I assume).

Then again, I hated the pictures of the 4150 and really didn't want one. I thought it was pug-ugly. Eventually, I gave up and bought it for it's functionality not it's looks. I realize now that it was that awful green theme they were always showing on the screen. Make it blue and it's beautiful!

So maybe I won't like the new iPAQ design after I hold one in my hand.