View Full Version : iPAQ 6315 Announced, To Be Carried By T-Mobile US

Janak Parekh
07-26-2004, 06:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20040726/tc_nm/telecoms_tmobileusa_hp_dc' target='_blank'>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...mobileusa_hp_dc</a><br /><br /></div>Most of you probably know that the iPAQ 6315 was announced today. In addition, T-Mobile released a joint statement with HP confirming that T-Mobile USA will be carrying the device next month.<br /><br /><i>"T-Mobile USA and Hewlett-Packard Co. next month will introduce the first-ever handheld computer that also works as a cell phone and can tap into the Internet using high-speed wireless hotspots, the companies said on Monday... As well as carrying phone calls the device, only available from T-Mobile USA, also has links for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, another short-range wireless standard used to connect items such as handsets and headphones. It goes on sale in August, the companies said, and will cost $499. 'This is the first device that pools everything together,' said T-Mobile USA vice president for business services Scott Ballantyne, who added the gadget would come with T-Mobile's first subscription plan combining cellular and Wi-Fi services."</i><br /><br />(Here's <a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20040726/tc_nm/telecoms_tmobileusa_hp_dc">another article</a> from C|Net on the same subject.) While it's a little stretch to say this is the first-ever, considering my i700 had a SDIO WiFi card a few months ago, the "combined" plan sounds interesting. I doubt the 6315 will support native roaming, but we'll all be watching. My one gripe? The 6315 is supposed to be running WMPE2003 <b>First Edition</b>. Hey, HP, are you going to provide an upgrade to this unit? :|<br /><br /><b>Update:</b> Actually, the 6315 <i>will</i> support roaming from T-Mobile Hotspots and T-Mobile GPRS. Pretty cool -- I hope it'll support roaming amongst other wireless networks.

entropy1980
07-26-2004, 06:06 PM
I am already on Tmobile and I am trying to get info on what the cost will be in mid-contract.... I woudn't mind $599 but some people are saying to expect it higher if you aren't signing a new contract!! :?

seaflipper
07-26-2004, 06:07 PM
(Here's another article (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20040726/tc_nm/telecoms_tmobileusa_hp_dc) from C|Net on the same subject.) While it's a little stretch to say this is the first-ever, considering my i700 had a SDIO WiFi card a few months ago, the "combined" plan sounds interesting. I doubt the 6315 will support native roaming, but we'll all be watching. My one gripe? The 6315 is supposed to be running WMPE2003 First Edition. Hey, HP, are you going to provide an upgrade to this unit? :|

Is there even a WM 2003 Phone Edition Second Edition available anyway? Maybe I have been asleep for the past couple of months, but I haven't heard about a Phone Edition Second Edition yet from MS...

manywhere
07-26-2004, 06:10 PM
Hey, HP, are you going to provide an upgrade to this unit? :|
*the question echoes in a silent hall -- the only answers are from crickets chirping somewhere in a distance* :roll:

entropy1980
07-26-2004, 06:13 PM
*the question echoes in a silent hall -- the only answers are from crickets chirping somewhere in a distance* :roll:
Naw I am guessing they will once it becomes available....Tmobile did upgrade the ancient (Heck it has a StrongARM 206!!!!) XDA/SpaceNeedle and HP had been good up until recently I think once MS finishes a WM2k3 PE SE (wow that's a mouth full!!!) we will see it. Especially since Motorola is sporting it on their MPx.... which seems to be the main competition for the 6300.[/i]

William
07-26-2004, 06:27 PM
'This is the first device that pools everything together,' said T-Mobile USA vice president for business services Scott Ballantyne, who added the gadget would come with T-Mobile's first subscription plan combining cellular and Wi-Fi services."
Pools or pulls?

ScottC
07-26-2004, 06:37 PM
I am already on Tmobile and I am trying to get info on what the cost will be in mid-contract.... I woudn't mind $599 but some people are saying to expect it higher if you aren't signing a new contract!! :?

Considering it's on HP's own website for $599 unconnected I seriously doubt you'll be paying more.

Your best bet would be to renew your contract with T-mobile and see what kind of deal they'll give you...

joelevi
07-26-2004, 06:37 PM

I'm forced to agree with you... HP has given me no hope on the SE upgrade... I'm returning the sentiment.

entropy1980
07-26-2004, 06:43 PM

Considering it's on HP's own website for $599 unconnected I seriously doubt you'll be paying more.

Your best bet would be to renew your contract with T-mobile and see what kind of deal they'll give you...
I am not 100% sure it's unconnected.... in the description it states rates and plans will be available on August 26 and a SIM is included.... so it makes me think they are looking to get you under some kind of contract at that price..

beq
07-26-2004, 06:44 PM
My one gripe? The 6315 is supposed to be running WMPE2003 First Edition. Hey, HP, are you going to provide an upgrade to this unit? :|
Is there even a WM 2003 Phone Edition Second Edition available anyway? Maybe I have been asleep for the past couple of months, but I haven't heard about a Phone Edition Second Edition yet from MS...
Say what?? Man this is what I get for not having followed closely all these months. So neither the 6315, MPX, MDA III are using WM Second Edition? All this time, I never knew... 8O

beq
07-26-2004, 06:48 PM
I'm also confused on the HPshopping $599 price. They say the normal price for 1yr T-Mobile contract is $499 (and I believe T-Mobile has always been generous to give same price to new or existing customer as long as they subscribe for the same contract term?). But I'm not sure if the HPshopping unit is unlocked, since the press release also says this model has been specifically co-developed with T-Mobile and will only be available for that network in the USA for the foreseeable future.

Then again, isn't it true that T-Mobile only uses the 1900MHz band for GSM in the US? Seems strange to even make the 6315 with quad-band (with 850MHz support) then if it's not available for Cingular/ATTWS...

beq
07-26-2004, 06:49 PM
BTW does anyone know the answers to my previous questions (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30437&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30#267702):
the CNet article made a big deal about how the 6315 on T-Mobile's network is supposedly able to hop between GPRS and Wi-Fi seamlessly in real-time and with synchronized billing and such (leading to a real possibility of seamless VoIP conversations). And that the Nokia 9500 is supposedly the only other cellular device able to do this. Or maybe I just misread the article??

So does that mean that
a) the MPX & MDA III and any other PPC PE's cannot do this, and
b) the 6315 also cannot do this on any other GSM provider's network (assuming you could buy an unlocked version of the 6315 to begin with)? I ask since I'm still contracted with ATTWS for quite awhile. Plus the 6315's quad-band (including 850MHz) seems a natural fit for both Cingular and ATTWS who are using that band for GSM (whereas I think T-Mobile is only using 1900MHz?).
Janak you said you don't think native roaming is supported, are you referring to the same feature, I'm curious?

alex_kac
07-26-2004, 06:55 PM
My one gripe? The 6315 is supposed to be running WMPE2003 First Edition. Hey, HP, are you going to provide an upgrade to this unit? :|
Say what?? Man this is what I get for not having followed closely all these months. So neither the 6315, MPX, MDA III are using WM Second Edition? All this time, I never knew... 8O

MPX is using SE, I believe. Its one reason its taking so long to get out.

arnage2
07-26-2004, 06:59 PM
the mpx has to use se, because it utilizes both screen orientations

seaflipper
07-26-2004, 07:00 PM

The MPX is, from what I understand the first phone device to use Phone Edition Second Edition. And as we all know, that's not going to be out for a while...but I don't know if it's hardware or software (probably both) that need tweaking..

jasondearyou
07-26-2004, 07:19 PM
So this phone isn't goin to be unlocked from HP? If not would there be an unlocking code provided by the fellas who post them online?

joelevi
07-26-2004, 07:25 PM
Then again, isn't it true that T-Mobile only uses the 1900MHz band for GSM in the US? Seems strange to even make the 6315 with quad-band (with 850MHz support) then if it's not available for Cingular/ATTWS...

Roaming?

gorkon280
07-26-2004, 07:33 PM
I am not 100% sure it's unconnected.... in the description it states rates and plans will be available on August 26 and a SIM is included.... so it makes me think they are looking to get you under some kind of contract at that price..

Wow that just sounds really rich. Maybe I WON'tT be getting one of these. If I get one of these and another phone for the wife, it's goign to cost me a mint. What I want (and I hope T-mobile is listening):

Unlimited GPRS (already a good deal on Tmobile)
VERY limited minutes for Voice
Unlimited or more then I will ever use SMS (as I sms at least 100-200 messages a month).

Charging 599 is like charging fullt price for this. I can't see it being that much in today's market for a device with a contract. I would sign a 2 year contract for this if they offered one but one year would be ok as well.

It's nice to see the US finally getting cool stuff like this...Oh we knew it was coming to someone but this is comforting since it seems that Motorola and TMobile simply can't agreee on anything regarding the MPx.

Sven Johannsen
07-26-2004, 07:34 PM
This is such an exciting release. Information has been coming out for weeks, official stuff has been on HPs site for at least several days. And today, the OFFICIAL RELEASE day, amid no hoopla, you can't buy the thing at HP or T-Mobile. I'm underwhelmed by the marketing prowess.

One thing that would keep me from getting it is the darned camera. We won't go into that issue again. On the specs, though, the camera is listed as 'not on all models.' GREAT, now can I get one of those models?

Ryan Joseph
07-26-2004, 07:40 PM
This is now on T-Mobile's homepage (http://www.tmobile.com).

They also have a good picture showing how the keyboard will attach:

http://www.share-freedom.com/GetMoreConnected/images/iPAQ_h6300_TMlogo.jpg

heyday
OK. So how fast or slow is the T Mobile GPRS connections? Are we talking super slow 14.4 speeds here?

I used to be on Voicestream before they changed to T Moible and the service was horrible..... wonder if much has changed......

heyday

Janak Parekh
Janak you said you don't think native roaming is supported, are you referring to the same feature, I'm curious?
Yes. I might have to edit my post on that note. It would be very cool if it had that feature.

And yes, a WMSEPE2003 exists. I can't remember it's exact title, whether it's Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Phone Edition, or Windows Mobile 2003 Phone Edition Second Edition, or Windows Mobile Phone Edition 2003 Second Edition, or... you get the idea. (We actually had an internal discussion thread about this.) I believe it's out, but I'm not 100% sure. I just hope HP releases it, as my post implied, but I wouldn't be shocked either way.

--janak

DaleReeck
07-26-2004, 07:41 PM
This is such an exciting release. Information has been coming out for weeks, official stuff has been on HPs site for at least several days. And today, the OFFICIAL RELEASE day, amid no hoopla, you can't buy the thing at HP or T-Mobile. I'm underwhelmed by the marketing prowess.

One thing that would keep me from getting it is the darned camera. We won't go into that issue again. On the specs, though, the camera is listed as 'not on all models.' GREAT, now can I get one of those models?

The camera-less one is another month's wait (after you wait this first month for the camera version). But after all, as the official release says, it's "available now" - in a month :D

Janak Parekh
07-26-2004, 07:42 PM
OK. So how fast or slow is the T Mobile GPRS connections? Are we talking super slow 14.4 speeds here? I used to be on Voicestream before they changed to T Moible and the service was horrible..... wonder if much has changed......
It's improved a little from its beginning. It won't blow you away, but you should be able to get 30-40kbps given a good signal. But yeah, I'm going to stick to 1xRTT, which frequently gives me double or triple that.

--janak

Birdman
07-26-2004, 07:49 PM
Something like that must be out because the engineering samples of the MPX I have been reading about on www.howardforums.com are able to switch between landscape and portrait orientation on the fly, which I understand is only a feature of second edition.

EddieH28
07-26-2004, 09:00 PM
will this model have a built in camera?

Janak Parekh
07-26-2004, 09:32 PM
will this model have a built in camera?
The first version's supposed to, yes.

Something like that must be out because the engineering samples of the MPX I have been reading about on www.howardforums.com are able to switch between landscape and portrait orientation on the fly, which I understand is only a feature of second edition.
Sorry - I was being vague. My observation was that I don't know if a final release is out yet or not. The engineering ROMs might have an earlier build, or it might indeed be the final bits.

--janak

BobWitt
07-27-2004, 02:29 AM
I would like to see some performance benchmarks on this vs. something like the 415X...

All the connectivity looks real neat, but I want a solid-performing PPC at the core....

BobWitt

entropy1980
07-27-2004, 02:49 AM
I would like to see some performance benchmarks on this vs. something like the 415X...

All the connectivity looks real neat, but I want a solid-performing PPC at the core....

BobWitt

Here are benchmarks
http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=440&p=3
.... it' not fast but battery life is insane!!!! Imagine what it would be with the extended battery!! 8O

mashtim
07-27-2004, 05:21 AM
One question:
Since most current programs are written for StrongARM or XScale processors, will the fact that this unit uses an OMAP impact the programs that I am currently using?

entropy1980
07-27-2004, 05:23 AM
One question:
Since most current programs are written for StrongARM or XScale processors, will the fact that this unit uses an OMAP impact the programs that I am currently using?

Shouldn't at all they (StrongARM, XScale, OMAP and even Samsung's own proc.) all use the ARM instruction set ...although there are probably some optimizations that could be made for it...

mashtim
08-06-2004, 02:30 AM
Sweet.

Ok, one more question:
Does anyone know how many simultaneous bluetooth connections this unit can handle? By this, I mean that if I'd like to hook up a BT headset for telephone voice while the unit is connected to a BT GPS receiver, is it possible ?