View Full Version : hx4700 or Palm ux50?

Phlerb
07-25-2004, 10:03 PM
I have been a palm dude for years. Why should I change to the PPC?

Zack Mahdavi
07-25-2004, 10:37 PM
You mean the Sony UX 50?

I was also a Palm user for years, but I switched in February. If you think you'll make use of all the extra multimedia features the Pocket PC has, then get a Pocket PC. I'd recommend the hx4700 if you care about having a big, high res screen. If you care about size, go for the UX 50.

jpjehu
07-26-2004, 05:06 AM
the sony ux50's design flaw is in screen size - it's way too small. You really have to weigh, though, what you need it for - if you want expandability, windows convience, multimedia, etc then go PPC. If you don't plan to do much with it and want extreme simplicity - with wifi capabilities - then go Sony.

Kati Compton
07-26-2004, 05:11 AM
I also think the screen size is too small on the UX50. I mean, it might not be so much that the screen is too small on an absolute scale, but it just LOOKS like there's a lot of wasted casing around the screen. I would be frustrated by that if nothing else.

Yes I'm picky.

Palmguy
07-26-2004, 02:09 PM
I also think the screen size is too small on the UX50. I mean, it might not be so much that the screen is too small on an absolute scale, but it just LOOKS like there's a lot of wasted casing around the screen. I would be frustrated by that if nothing else.

Yes I'm picky.

It's too small on both an absolute and a relative scale :wink:

Janak Parekh
07-26-2004, 04:58 PM
I've also heard the UX50's battery is weak... of course, we can't compare against a unit that hasn't been reviewed yet. ;)

--janak

Kowalski
07-27-2004, 09:42 AM
you cant compare different platforms. you have to decide what exactly you want and then go to one of the ways. i've never liked palms and i have severeal strong resaons for choosing windows mobile.
palms can be a better choice than windows mobile devices if:
-you only want to use pim applications and reading.
-you choose a light weight and small unit like tungsten T3(excellent design)
-you choose a unit which has very good runtimes(slower cpu, non-color screen)

as new palm devices converge to windows mobile devices in multimedia area they loose these advantages. run times are worse now, devices get bigger in size and heavier. i liked sony sl10 because it had the advantages i listed above but it didnt have any multimedia features.

PS:i am very impressed about the design of sony ux50!

cng
07-27-2004, 09:14 PM
He needs a word from a Palm user. I too have a Sony Clie UX50. You know why I love it? When I bought it I thought I would go around with Bluetooth and go online, blue jack people so Bluetooth was a must. Now that I dont have a cellphone, Wifi is much faster and Bluetooth is no popular in Canada, Bluetooth is just waste of extra money and space. Wifi is a must. With WPA or even basic WEP, you can have great secure experience with your home network, school, or even at a hotspot. Also wifi hotsync is beautiful! The UX's screen is small, I agree, it also whines a little but it is bright enough and high enough resolution to read and post on this site without a problem. With Netfront 3.1 you can browse in a single column without scrolling horizontally and keeping the font size good. I love reading ebooks on it and the wide variety of software helps me get the work done. Even at night the well lit keyboard provides comforable typing on the go. The buttons are not meant for gaming at all but rather quick web browsing or launching your agenda. I have no problem playing 30 fps videos or streaming music from Shoutcast off Pocket Tunes 3 (which also includes WMA compabitlity). Overall the UX50 is best for work, PIM, and mobile communication in general. It is stable and dont need a reset for long time. It's processor is actually very fast with the embedded 8 mb extra RAM in the processor. The dual wireless capabilities are awesome but like I said, Bluetooth isnt as useful in Canada.

Now, I'm not a bias person and I would like to tell you why I'm selling my UX50. Sad enough to say, I cant live without games. Games on the go is part of showing off. Having Playstation on the go in your pockets is every kid's dream and me, being only 14, I need that gaming! The PPC has a bigger screen, compatible with portable hard drives and are great at multimedia. They have GBA emulators, PSX emulators and wide variety of Window programs built in. Yes the UX50 can play multimedia just as good but with the bigger screens of the PPC I just want to jump boat now. The UX50 has been my first PDA and I cannot tell you experience of both but I was once close to buying the h4155. The PPC dont have a camera like my UX50 but it is also cheaper because of that. Dual wireless is a must and you will find Bluetooth useful when multiplayer gaming. The graphics on the PPC is much better and because of PPC's hardware everything seems faster. The softwares for productivity cannot match that of Palm.

Sony Clie UX50 is a mobile communicator with multimedia capabilities and can do work. PPC is a multimedia center with most of the older game consoles. Decisions, decision. I agree tough choice. :roll: