View Full Version : Need help with New Socket BT card and GPRS

Underwater Mike
07-22-2004, 07:06 PM
I recently switched to Cingular so I could do GPRS with a Socket BT CF card and my Axim running WM2003. Problem is, I can't figure out how to get the PPC to use GPRS on the phone for access.

I installed the current drivers for the Socket card, and all the menu options from Socket's software appear to work, except that there's no menu option for using the phone as a modem. But, since the Socket software does not use the Microsoft BT stack, I can't get the new connection created in Settings > Connections because it does not see a BT device installed! :evil:

The T637 and my Axim are paired okay, so that's not the problem. Also, I can browse the phone from the Axim, so I know the communicaiton between the two devices is working.

Can anybody walk me thru getting this problem resolved?

Underwater Mike
07-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Somebody? :cry:

mrkablooey
07-24-2004, 12:22 AM
when pairing my v600 with my 2215 for the first time, in setting everything up it gives me a list of "services" the PDA can get from the phone. one is file transfer, the other is dial-up modem.

when you do a new connection, what options does it give you?

Underwater Mike
07-24-2004, 02:45 PM
On the PPC, mine gives synchronization and object push but no DUN. I can get the latter only if I pair with a laptop or desktop PC. I wonder if that's because your BT is integrated and uses the MS stack, while the Socket card uses its own stack?

Is anyone else out there using the Socket card for a BT phone?

I gotta say that, for all the kudos on Socket's hardware and driver design, their support absolutely sucks. Three inquiries over the last week and not one peep. :evil:

when pairing my v600 with my 2215 for the first time, in setting everything up it gives me a list of "services" the PDA can get from the phone. one is file transfer, the other is dial-up modem.

when you do a new connection, what options does it give you?

Underwater Mike
07-27-2004, 03:26 PM
Well, I tried contacting Socket by email, by phone and by the Web-based support inquiry tool. No response from any method. My trouble ticket submitted last week hasn't even been read yet. That's exactly the kind of product support that I don't need. Realistically, I should not have been surprised, since I had similar experience a couple years ago trying to get support for the Socket DPC for my old Samsung phone. But it still pisses me off, since Socket's products sell at a premium versus competitors.

So, I'm returning the Socket card today, eating the shipping and restocking fees. I have a Belkin card on order and will post back with results on that. I know from past experience that Belkin generally has great support and generous warranties.

No more Socket products for my business, ever. :bad-words:

victore
07-28-2004, 04:32 PM
mike, i'm sorry that i didn't see this post earlier, but here's a link to a website that has a guide to connecting to cingular's gprs service using a pocket pc and a bluetooth phone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1477

Underwater Mike
07-29-2004, 02:16 AM
No problem! Thanks for the info.

Actually, after more than TWO HOURS on the phone with Cingular, including several disconnects, a quick detour to Sony Ericsson (which, the Cingular dork told me, was the keeper of the passwords), and a idiot who insisted that I had to buy a Blackberry to do what I wanted :razz: I found out the details:

Number to dial: *99#
UID: [email protected]
Password: CINGULAR1

Caps as noted.

FYI, for anyone else out there, I suggest avoiding the Socket BT card and go for the Belkin F8T006. It's not as svelte as the Socket card -- the antenna protrudes from the CF slot like a normal WiFi card -- but the Widcomm drivers and software are so much better that it's like night and day. Plus, Belkin's support is prompt and helpful, unlike Socket's. Oh, yeah: It's also $40 cheaper!

Cheers! I'm off to the land of slow wireless! :beer:

mike, i'm sorry that i didn't see this post earlier, but here's a link to a website that has a guide to connecting to cingular's gprs service using a pocket pc and a bluetooth phone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1477