View Full Version : Trading in my Toshiba e805

DiGiTYZED
07-21-2004, 04:10 PM
I can't believe it's come to this, but I want trade in my Toshiba e805. I absolutely love Toshiba, but these rumors about Toshiba leaving are getting to me (or maybe I should stop visiting this forum and I won't be so damn paranoid).

Any hoo, I'm looking for something that has everything it has but more. Must have 4.0 display (hopefully w/ VGA support), built-in bluetooth, 128 or more RAM, CF & SD slots, at least 624 Mhz processor and should have a great screen like my e805. And shouldn't be too big/bulky. oh and the company should look like it will have a future in the PPC market.

these models come to mind but not limited to: iPAQ 4700 (or any high-end w/o built-in keyboard), Dell X3, Asus a730 or a716 and XDA II. i don't diddly smack about these models, i just think they are new or high-end

please help me find a model to trade up for.

TIA

arnage2
07-21-2004, 04:20 PM
the ipaq 4700 defidently meets your requirements. (4inch vga screen) This will have around 96mb-120mb of ram, but will have dual slots.

There will be another asus in september. its still called the a730, but it has 128mb of ram, and bt/wifi integrated. It has a 1.3mp camera. It has a 3.7in screen (vga). It will cost $550-599. This is small, and not bulky, yet also has dual slots.

DiGiTYZED
07-21-2004, 05:02 PM
rats! i knew those high end iPAQ would come back to haunt me.

I always and spitefully passed on the iPAQ 5455 and 5555 and went with the Toshiba e755 and e805. Guess I can't be spiteful anymore... HP iPAQ hx4700 it is. At least my expansion slots will be free finally (goddamn Toshiba and their non-bluetooth+wi-fi devices!)

Am I giving up to soon? Are there more options for me out there?

pmgibson
07-21-2004, 06:42 PM
I'm curious why it matters whether Toshiba is still in the game or not. I guess my curiosity arises from my iPaq experience.

I purchased an iPaq 3630 in December of 2000. Sent it to PocketPC Techs and had the 128Mb memory upgrade. Updated it to PPC2002 when that became available.

But other than the PPC2002 updgrade, I needed nothing from Compaq or, later on, HP. The original battery recently died and I decided to go with the Toshiba because of the screen size, brightness, and memory size. I might have gotten the 4700 if it had been available, but I needed one now. The 4700 was announced the day the e800 was delivered, but I figured the backorder time was probably astronomical.

Anyway, I can't see myself really needing anything from Toshiba at this stage. If they're not in the game next time I need a new PDA, someone else will be.

Opinions, anyone?

Ripper014
07-21-2004, 07:14 PM
I agree... you should not be in any hurry to upgrade. Your E805 should handle your needs for years to come. And by the time you might need to upgrade... you can get something on the cutting edge. The units that are being released currently (other than the A730) are not that large a leap from where you are.

I kept my E-125 up until last year because I didn't see a reason to upgrade. Even now there are things that my E-125 seem to do better than my Hp2200... Do yourself a favour... hold on to your E-805 for now... there are so few VGA units coming to the market you would not be happy without one... after using one.

DiGiTYZED
07-22-2004, 10:16 PM
ya know u guys are right. i'm not even the 'gotta have the latest and greatest kind of guy'

i was pushing this because i wanted built-in bluetooth and a free CF slot for better expandibility options in the future. plus the re-sell value of the e805 is still pretty high and i wouldn't have minded putting out $160 - $200 xtra for the hx4700. But $200 for 224 more megahertz, built-in bluetooth and a free CF slot isn't looking smart anymore.

thanx a lot fellaz

Mark Johnson
07-23-2004, 01:58 AM
I'm curious why it matters whether Toshiba is still in the game or not.

I've been wondering something along that line as well. The last three generations from Toshiba were so radially different that I'm guessing Toshiba has entirely outsourced all their PDAs for quite some time now. If that's true, and Toshiba being "in the game" or "out of the game" really has nothing to do with internal R&D, then even if they "quit" it doesn't really mean much. They can "restart" with minimal lead-time...