View Full Version : advice wanted - 312 vs. 624 mhz

poshdaphne
07-21-2004, 05:40 AM
I'm considering the axim x30 and I'm wondering about the real difference between the 312 and 624 mhz versions. Faster is always better right?! But, I don't really notice much and I doubt I'll be using it for crazy gaming or video, probably just for text stuff, calendar and occasional surfing. So... what would I be able to do with the faster one that I couldn't do with the slower one and for regular Outlook-type use, would I notice a difference?

Kowalski
07-21-2004, 09:52 AM
what would I be able to do with the faster one that I couldn't do with the slower one and for regular Outlook-type use, would I notice a difference
if you are planning to use your ppc just for simple office and pim applications, you wont notice the different. just in some cases the programs written in visual basic and accessing databases heavily run too slow. in that case maybe you will notice the difference, but i bealive this wont happen too often.
but if you choose 300 MHz version, youll gain some extra runtime per charge for sure.
on the other hand if you buy the faster one, a cradle is included in the package which costs ~30 $ if you buy seperately.

mattp
07-21-2004, 02:22 PM
One thing to consider may be the size of the text files you might be using. For example, I frequently will get a data dump into excel. Lots of data, maybe a two or three megabyte file. I don't really edit it, just use it for reference.

My previous 150 mhz processor would sometimes take minutes to open one of these. My 400 mhz opens them pretty quickly. But this is also a PPC2000 versus a PPC2003, so there might be OS efficiencies that would lessen the gap in the case of the 312 vs. 624 both running PPC2003.

It is very, very frustrating to wait that long for a file to open.