View Full Version : Best Music Downloads...

OskiO
07-21-2004, 03:44 AM
I want to start downloading music. Legally. Who uses what software/download service and how do you rate it on a 10 scale.

1. Selection
2. Navigation of Music/Content
3. Cost/Payment methods
4. Other details...

Thanks,
Chris

Janak Parekh
07-21-2004, 05:19 AM
I use iTunes -- for all three, it's quite good -- easy to use, great selection, consistent price. However, the downloaded music can't be loaded directly onto Pocket PCs. You'd need a WMA-compatible service for that (or you'd need to burn/rerip iTunes-downloaded music). Since I have an iPod, that sort of made the choice for me. ;)

--janak

OskiO
07-23-2004, 02:03 AM
Thanks, but I was really looking for something that I could download and just transfer to my iPaq to listen to. I'm not a fan of the iPod and can't see the benifit in carrying two devices that do the same thing. Of course the iPod holds all you music and the iPaq is limited, but I only need up to an hour of music at a time.

Any other downloads???

C

mattp
07-23-2004, 04:05 AM
I use Napster 2.0, which transfers files well to my ppc. Here's what I recommend: Open WMP9 on your pc and click on Premium Services. Here, you'll have the option to sign up for Napster. You can also separately download the software from their website, but I simply prefer to run Napster in WMP for transferring to the PPC. Signing up is pretty self-explanatory, more about pricing later. Once you've successfully downloaded music, connect your ppc to the pc. With Activesync running, select Copy to CD or Device in WMP9. Here, you can select the music you'd like to transfer on the left and a drop-down box on the right where you should be able to pick ppc main memory, CF card, SD card, etc. Pick the music you want, pick your memory card, and select Copy in the upper-right corner. I made it look like a long process, but it isn't.

You cannot simply cut and paste music files from the pc to the ppc without running it through WMP9 on the pc because the file protection won't transfer.

For the rest . . .

1. Selection. I think Napster is right up there with the number of albums they have. I've found everything I've looked for, so that's about all I can offer. They seem to be keeping up with the new stuff and adding some older stuff at the same time.

2. Navigation. This can be a bit cumbersome, I think because they have so much music on the site. If you know the artist and the song, it's easy to search for them. If you select an artist, they have the more popular songs in blue with the less popular in black. You can click on any song and listen to a 30-second clip with the basic memebership. Also, if you select a genre, it will sort more popular artists to the top.

3. Cost/Payment. I have a basic membership -- $0.99 per song, $9.99 per album, no other fees. They also have a premium membership. I think that includes basic plus the ability to listen to entire songs instead of the 30-second clip. I think it also has streaming radio stations. Not sure of the other differences. I think the premium plan is an additional $9.99 per month.

4. Other Details . . . see the long diatribe above.

I haven't tried any other services, so I don't have any comparison to offer. I'm happy with Napster.

Oh, a couple more things that might be helpful. Each minute of music is roughly one megabyte of memory. I haven't tried to re-encode or anything. The bit rate is 128 kbps.

dean_shan
07-23-2004, 04:40 PM
Don't forget aboutEmusic (http://www.emusic.com). They will give you your music in MP3 format. You pay $10 a month for 40 songs (basic plan). Their selction is not as large as iTunes but if you're into indie music and classical you'll be just fine.

Zab
07-27-2004, 04:43 AM
legally is the kicker...i use overnet at www.overnet.com

sylvangale
07-27-2004, 06:10 AM
Thanks for that suggestion Dean. I was looking for a subscription service that gave a download quota.

Right now I'm using Real Phapsody and it lets you play a vast selection of music on your computer. The service has a monthly fee of $9.95 and it costs you $.79 per song if you want to burn them to CD (which is a slow process even on DSL).

sylvangale
07-27-2004, 06:12 AM
Um Zab... I don't think overnet is one of those legal alternatives Oski was looking for. :wink:

sylvangale
07-27-2004, 07:23 AM
I thought I would add that leaving the Real Rhapsody was suprisingly easy and convenient. You just go into your options and choose unsubscribe with a comment box as to why you are leaving... and you are allow to finish your trial up with the guarantee that you will not be re-billed and sends and e-mail to the same effect.

I just signed up for E-music and it seems pretty cool. WORD OF WARNING. Only click on samples if you want to hear a sample. If you click download... you've just added that song to your download history. At least you can re-download/finish downloading easily from your account history.

Steven Cedrone
07-27-2004, 01:46 PM
legally is the kicker...i use overnet at www.overnet.com

Meaning you don't want to be legal. Overnet is not the way to purchase/download music legally...

Steve