View Full Version : hp iPAQ 4700 Price Bump Before Release?

Jason Dunn
07-21-2004, 04:00 AM
This isn't something I can confirm, but an anonymous source tipped me off that hp has changed the price of the iPAQ hx4700 from $599 USD to $649 USD on their internal price lists. Ouch! These are likely last minute pricing changes before the product reaches the market in reaction to changing market conditions - what other competitors are doing, etc. This doesn't bode well for those of us interested in the hx4700 (I count myself among those people), but we can always hope someone at hp changes their mind. ;-)

OSUKid7
07-21-2004, 04:05 AM
Ouch! What's with all of these anonymous sources today? Anyway, I don't take this too seriously yet. I'll have to see what the prices are when it's released. This is most likely my next Pocket PC.

Zack Mahdavi
07-21-2004, 04:07 AM
Dang, that price reminds me of the days when the iPaq was first introduced by Compaq. I really don't think this device is worth $649, considering that the only added features are really just more memory and a VGA screen... sorry, but a VGA screen isn't worth $300 extra to me. The Axim lineup is beginning to look better and better to me.

arebelspy
07-21-2004, 04:12 AM
eCost has it at the higher price, shipping in 2-5 days (supposedly): http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=470594

-arebelspy

arnage2
07-21-2004, 04:24 AM
cdw had it on their site for $649

its comming to cdw on the 23rd

jpjehu
07-21-2004, 04:35 AM
This sucks! I was starting to believe that it was going to be $499 (at bestbuy I think) like someone said on the previous 4700 discussion. The only thing that makes it tempting (I currently have a a730 on preorder) is that it looks like it will be coming soon. I would almost pay the difference to see the VGA, processor, touchpad, etc. Anyone have any more details on when it should arrive retail? I know Compusa gets new items at about the same time as the webstores. Are ecost and cdw usually truthful in their time-frame estimates? Any input would be great!

huangzhinong
07-21-2004, 04:38 AM
I thought it's $649.99 all time. So it's not a problem for me, since I can't afford one at either $599 or $649.

Buy the way, ecost has it only $560 ($100 off list price), so hurry up if you want to order one.

arnage2
07-21-2004, 04:39 AM
my buddy at proportable told me that the A730 is delayed untill probebly mid august. Asus is reworking the display drivers. The Wifi/BT version will be $100 more, and will include 128mb of ram. It will be out in september.

The ipaqs will be released either friday the 23rd, or monday the 26th of july. I just ordered a rx3715 off of ecost for $444, plus $9.99 overnight shipping. It will ship in 2-5 days. (or so they say)

christak
07-21-2004, 05:20 AM
My days of paying more than $500 for a PDA are gone... I'll go for an ultra portable (OQO, Flipstart, Sony U70, etc.) before I go this route...

joelevi
07-21-2004, 06:01 AM
My days of paying more than $500 for a PDA are gone... I'll go for an ultra portable (OQO, Flipstart, Sony U70, etc.) before I go this route...

Just remember, if you decide to go this route, based on their track record, when the next Windows Mobile 2004 comes out, HP won't even offer to sell you the new OS, you'll have to fork out another $649 for a new device if you want the new OS. :(

Jason Dunn
07-21-2004, 06:13 AM
Just remember, if you decide to go this route, based on their track record, when the next Windows Mobile 2004 comes out, HP won't even offer to sell you the new OS, you'll have to fork out another $649 for a new device if you want the new OS. :(

I think that's his point though - by getting a less expensive Pocket PC, he won't be out as much when they don't offer to upgrade it.

whydidnt
07-21-2004, 06:18 AM
I don't know, if these are as close to being delivered for sale as rumored, I doubt HP is changing the price, or at least the price it charges wholesalers for the unit, since those orders would have had to have been placed already. It could be they just decided to suggest a higher retail price, but $650 for a handheld when there are decent full function Laptops for not much more seems like a hard sale to make.

I don't like sounding so negative, but it's almost like HP is trying to prove the prognasticators right when the end of the handheld market is predicted. Too bad they don't have any serious PPC competitors. I think other manufacturers, such as Toshiba that seem to be leaving the market may be leaving just when they could have really had a chance to steal significant market share. Guess we'll see. :|

jpjehu
07-21-2004, 07:12 AM
I can't say I agree - or that it's that accurate to say that HP won't upgrade. They always seem to upgrade the current ppc's. I can't remember what happened with the 2002 change-over, but with 2003 they up'd all but the 1910 - which made good sense considering it's niche, age, and memory. The lack of an SE update for the 2210 or 1945 isn't a big deal because the SE update is relatively minor. It wouldn't be cost effective to issue updates for an OS change that isn't very paramount. I remember upgrading my 3955 to 2003 - something I don't think any other ppc manufacturer was doing (considering it was definitely a generation behind when the OS hit). I say all this even as someone who's probably going to buy the ASUS because of personal design preference.

milklok
07-21-2004, 07:16 AM

I think that's his point though - by getting a less expensive Pocket PC, he won't be out as much when they don't offer to upgrade it.

HP already has the record of not upgrade ANY of their current iPAQs from WM2003 to WM2003SE, I doubt if they will offer an upgrade to WM2004 for the coming new models, even if it is a high end one... :roll:

arnage2
07-21-2004, 07:17 AM
remember, they did upgrade the 38xx, 39xx and 5450 to wm2003

The Spectre
07-21-2004, 07:24 AM
$649.00! What is Carly smoking? I have seen some of thier laptops that low after rebates and discounts, LOL. I think the days of the PDA in general are numbered. I know I use mine less and less and my laptop and phone combo more and more. The SE nonsense from HP is just the last straw for me. Both PALM and PPC OEMs have screwed the PDA thing beyond repair thats whay they are all abandoning ship like rats lately. Pure unadulterated GREED....

jizmo
07-21-2004, 07:24 AM
You must get this a lot, but you have the most annoying avatar animation ever :)

/jizmo

WillyG
07-21-2004, 07:25 AM
I don't like sounding so negative, but it's almost like HP is trying to prove the prognasticators right when the end of the handheld market is predicted.

Exactly my thought when i read this.
First they refuse to offer me the "SErvicepack" to my new 4150, because they believe that will force me to buy a new device - even if we have learned the history will repeat itself when Windows Mobile 2005 is out in a couple of month's.
Then they change the price.... :evil:

webagogue
07-21-2004, 08:09 AM
The lack of an SE update for the 2210 or 1945 isn't a big deal because the SE update is relatively minor.

I have to disagree with the "relatively minor" part. HP is shafting me and my 4150 big time by not providing an upgrade that gives me:

1. Native landscape support. I never really liked the way Nydiot worked.
2. Universal font size control. The font in Tasks has always been too big IMO.
3. PIE is almost a real web browser. It FINALLY displays pages without horizontal scrolling.

OLE
07-21-2004, 08:19 AM
Having read and seen the first SE (BTW not SErvice Pack, as somebody stated, but Second Edition) impressions/screenshots (http://www.ce4you.cz/articles/detail.asp?a=143), there is really not so much to expect. Could be a LOT better.

Jonathan1
07-21-2004, 08:35 AM
*shrugs* Wasn't it to be speced out at $650 anyways? At least every news atricle on the device was stating as such. :?:

Well dang! I guess I'm going to have to pay what I was expecting to pay in the first place. :wink:

PS- Geesh people. This device is WAY high end. IMHO the only thing missing on this sucker is a camera and a higher amount of native RAM. So if $650 isn’t to your liking you do have cheaper alternatives. Stop complaining. Its not as if HP is holding a gun to your head saying you better get this model or “else” Get an rx3415 for $400 or a MyPal A730 for around $500. Or wait for Dell to come out with a cheap alternative. There are options people.

PPS- One last thing. One thing I’ve never understood is how people complain about the price of a PDA vs. a full blown laptop. I hardly see anyone complain about laptops vs. desktops anymore. People use the tools that are best suited for them. If a desktop isn’t mobile enough (enough?) then they get a laptop. This argument has now transcended to the laptop vs the PDA. And I think it’s just as asinine. You are paying $400, $500, $650 for the ability to stuff that device in your pocket. Such small devices with such high end capabilities NEVER come cheap. If you think Dell isn’t eating a large chunk of the costs on those $300 offerings you aren’t paying attention.
It’s pretty simple.
-If you are looking for a simple organizer you get a basic Palm.
-If you are looking for something more Powerful you get a Pocket PC.
-If you are looking to do some work while being out and about without breaking your back with a laptop you carry a high end Pocket PC.
-If you are looking to do some real work while being mobile you get a laptop.
-If you are looking for the most bang for your buck and don’t need to be mobile you get a desktop. Am I missing something here?
All these categories are complimentary. They all fill a niche. There is no “war” here. Even though some posts make it out to be a laptop vs. tablet pc vs. PDA war thing.
Or maybe not. *shrugs* Who knows. Its 3AM and I'm probably delusional at this point.

Chucky
07-21-2004, 09:18 AM
Yeah I agree with those points, however $650 is a lot for a PDA. I just hope the A730 is a bit better, although as posted above the BT and WiFi version is probably not only going to be out later but is likely to cost about $600 which isn't really too different to the 4700.

That being said I hope the Loox can offer us something!

PR.
07-21-2004, 09:49 AM
$650? You're going to get it cheap!

$650 - £350

I guestimate that this will appear on Expansys and other PDA sites in the UK at a penny shy of £600 thats over $1000!!!

Even the 5550 now is more than $650 in the UK ($765 (£455))

You lot wouldn't know a rip-off if it came and bit you on the arse (ass) :lol:

WillyG
07-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Having read and seen the first SE (BTW not SErvice Pack, as somebody stated, but Second Edition) impressions/screenshots (http://www.ce4you.cz/articles/detail.asp?a=143), there is really not so much to expect. Could be a LOT better.

Im fully aware of that :wink: - and thats why i called it SErvicepack in the first place.

rhinoman
07-21-2004, 11:07 AM
Where have you been Mr Dunn? Over the past few months, the 4700 has been listed at $649 at every website that mentioned it. At least, I never saw it listed or having a suggested retail price of anything less than $649. I'm not saying it's worth it (though I would buy one if I could afford it!), but the statement of a price bump seems misquided.

KAMware
07-21-2004, 11:20 AM
Just ordered one from eCost for $579.00 with overnight shipping!
:D

rpommier
07-21-2004, 11:52 AM

I hear you, when prices go there, that's notebook pricing. Yeah you can't stick a notebook in you pocket, but you can stick the extra $250 you'll have from paying no more than $350 for one :D

These things are becoming almost a yearly purchase for me and it's getting tougher to justify it to my wife :)

wbuch
07-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Buy the way, ecost has it only $560 ($100 off list price), so hurry up if you want to order one.

Where are you guys seeing it at this price on ecost? I checked both last night and just now, and both times it said $649. :?

wbuch
07-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Anybody seen any mention of a thumbboard accessory for it?

coverthawk
07-21-2004, 12:55 PM
FYI: The ecost pricing discount is applied once it is added to the shopping cart.

Jonathan1
07-21-2004, 12:56 PM

So you'd rather pay 2 grand, Sony's offering is around $2500, for a ultra portable, underpowered laptop? vs. $500-650 ultra portable PDA? More power to you. Its still more expensive and still not as portable or pocketable as a PDA but if that's OK for what you are going for. *shrugs* Good for you.
I personally wouldn't pay that much for an ultra portable since I can't nearly get as much done on as a full blown laptop. I'd rather take that kind of money and buy a real laptop and then a cheaper Pocket PC and take that with me.
Anyone seeing how this ties into my previous post? People work in diff ways. No one way is perfect for anyone.

van_mierlo
07-21-2004, 01:10 PM

Where are you guys seeing it at this price on ecost? I checked both last night and just now, and both times it said $649. :?

Did anyone call Ecost yet in regards to when it will be shipped?...because that is what the truck is standing for.

If I order can I cancel the order later?

wbuch
07-21-2004, 01:13 PM
FYI: The ecost pricing discount is applied once it is added to the shopping cart.

Thanks! I hate it when companies do that, applying the discount "at the register" (essentially). By that time, they've essentially made the sale, and they might scare people off with the higher price who didn't know they had to add it to their cart or take it to the register!

wbuch
07-21-2004, 01:15 PM
I noticed that it's listed as the hx4705 on ecost. I assume that means it's the business version? Does that mean it comes with less software than the consumer model (and hence the lower price)?

Jonathon Watkins
07-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Where have you been Mr Dunn? Over the past few months, the 4700 has been listed at $649 at every website that mentioned it. At least, I never saw it listed or having a suggested retail price of anything less than $649. I'm not saying it's worth it (though I would buy one if I could afford it!), but the statement of a price bump seems misquided.

No, where have You been over the past few days Rhinoman? There have been several posting saying that the price of the 4700 would be $499. :)

Jason's updated info is timely and is new information (while being unwelcome news :? ).

Jonathon Watkins
07-21-2004, 01:23 PM

$650 - £350

I guestimate that this will appear on Expansys and other PDA sites in the UK at a penny shy of £600 thats over $1000!!!

You lot wouldn't know a rip-off if it came and bit you on the arse (a$$) :lol:

:| I have to agree with PR. $650 is a bargin and I would love to pay that little for a decent PDA. Heck I paid more than that for my first LOOX. :|

DaleReeck
07-21-2004, 01:59 PM
The previous iPaq top of the line (iPaq 5555) costs $650, so there was no reason to believe the new one wouldn't cost as much. But it is a lot to pay considering what others are offering. Dell is selling their non-VGA Axim X30 (Windows SE, PXA270 processor, WiFi, BT, 64MB) for under $300 - assuming you can get one. The 5555 had 128MB of memory and a fingerprint scanner over the X30 - and an older OS. Not exactly worth $400+ dollars difference. New VGA PPC's from Dell and Asus will probably be under $500. Maybe even $450.

HP in general is too expensive. They got decent quality and support, but if you can pick up a similar powered PPC with adequate support from a big name like Dell for half the price, well, you can do the math. Unfortunately, you are paying for the HP name as much as anything else.

iPAQ_ace
07-21-2004, 02:04 PM
hc4700's has always had a suggested retail price of $699 according to the info I have. The info that's come up lately of it being at $499 is what has thrown me off. $499 would be nice, but I sincerely doubt it

...just my 2 cents.

jgrnt1
07-21-2004, 02:27 PM
The $499 price point was reported by several people who say they saw it listed in Best Buy's computer. I don't know how Best Buy's inventory management software works, but the price point could just be a place-holder so the product can be listed. They could still change the price once it appears in stores. Then again, Best Buy sometimes offers new products at a sale price when they are released. It could be $499 for the first week and then go back up to $649. I may have to check Best Buy every day just in case. If it releases at $499, I may have to scrounge up the cash. If it comes out at $649, I'll probably wait a while, since my 2215 really does everything I need.

epdm
07-21-2004, 02:51 PM
remember, they did upgrade the 38xx, 39xx and 5450 to wm2003

Yes but was it really HP who did the upgrade? I mean perhaps some blokes at Compaq where working in this before HP took over. So that the hard work was allmost done when HP got their hands on the code for old Ipaq range. Remember that the 54xx and 55xx are the only models whom resemble true "Ipaq"-roots so appart from adding some items. I guess the prime development o/t 54xx was done at Compaq for a future Ipaq but then HP took over and the rest is history. All the other HP models from 19xx to 41xx series could have been sold under another product name instead of "Ipaq".

Regards,

Manu T

pr0vider
07-21-2004, 02:52 PM
Phooey on those ludicrous prices; that's the penalty for being an early adopter. I'm gonna stick with my trusty 2215, which does everything I want it to do already, for about a year and reevaluate prices on these new units at that time. I'd like that gorgeous screen but I'm not gonna pay through the nose for it. :|

sesummers
07-21-2004, 03:06 PM
I got it the DAY the PPC 2002's came out. A week or two later, I started seeing ads for the 568 for as little as $550, and within a few months, you could get it for $500 or less.

I'm not planning to upgrade my aging Axim X5 until at least October anyway, so I expect I'll be getting my 4700 for under $500. I'll just have to resist letting my envy of all of you who pay list price the day it comes out cause me to blow my vow of frugality! :wink:

powder2000
07-21-2004, 03:23 PM
All this talk about Best Buy listing it for $500 has me confused. I thought they cleaned inventory and were getting out of pda's/ppc's. That past news alone would make me think that Best Buy is wrong in their pricing. In my opinion, in a few months most of us will have a real chance at a vga ppc when Dell releases one. It seems HP/Compaq has always targeted corporate with their high end ipaqs, the price doesn't surprise me.

palmsolo
07-21-2004, 03:25 PM
I am a sucker for iPAQs and couldn't resist the $560 price at eCost so I placed my order with overnight shipping. Now I will have to scour the net and see if I can get it sooner.

I plan on also getting rid of my aging Handheld PC, Jornada 720, and using the 4700 with an external keyboard to replace it, thus the cost of the 4700 is reduced for me :D

DarrenS
07-21-2004, 03:53 PM

Did anyone call Ecost yet in regards to when it will be shipped?...because that is what the truck is standing for.

I called eCost and, yes, you can cancel your order at any time. The cust service rep also said they have no information on ship dates and availability. I was also told that the price on the website could change at any time. So I figured I'd put an order in and if I find one cheaper somewhere else I'd cancel my eCost order.

So I ordered one, overnight for $579.36. (That's $563.18 for the hx4705 + $9.99 for Priority Overnight + $6.19 Handling & Processing fee.)

Paul P
07-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Completely agree Jonathon.

The pricepoint hasn't really changed that much from prior high-end pocket pcs, except that you get more functionalities and features. I think people's expectations are a lilttle too high from PPC manufacturers these days. Whether $600 or $650, the 4700 has much more to offer than the previous generations and the price is pretty reasonable. Sometimes you can't have more for less.

DarrenS
07-21-2004, 04:44 PM
BTW, BargainPDA.com has the release date for the hx4705 as 7/31/2004.

http://www.bargainpda.com/price/default.asp?productID=1191&brandName=HP&productName=iPaq+hx4705&display=priceDetail

christak
07-21-2004, 04:51 PM

So you'd rather pay 2 grand, Sony's offering is around $2500, for a ultra portable, underpowered laptop? vs. $500-650 ultra portable PDA? More power to you. Its still more expensive and still not as portable or pocketable as a PDA but if that's OK for what you are going for. *shrugs* Good for you.
I personally wouldn't pay that much for an ultra portable since I can't nearly get as much done on as a full blown laptop. I'd rather take that kind of money and buy a real laptop and then a cheaper Pocket PC and take that with me.
Anyone seeing how this ties into my previous post? People work in diff ways. No one way is perfect for anyone.

What I'm saying is simply that I think a $300 to $400 PPC is more where I'd like to be... The ultra portable PCs are indeed quite expensive at this point -- not readily available yet -- those prices will come down and the units are quite appealing to me... I agree with many of your comments and, though I currently consider myself a PPC "power user", I don't want to pay that much for a PPC anymore...

arnage2
07-21-2004, 04:57 PM
BTW, BargainPDA.com has the release date for the hx4705 as 7/31/2004.

http://www.bargainpda.com/price/default.asp?productID=1191&brandName=HP&productName=iPaq+hx4705&display=priceDetail

their dates havent been too acurate. They have the A730 listed as being released on 7/15, and the ipaq rx3400 released on the 19th of july.

huangzhinong
07-21-2004, 05:04 PM
I think $560 is not high at all for this model, although I still can't afford one.

elehcdn
07-21-2004, 06:14 PM
The previous iPaq top of the line (iPaq 5555) costs $650, so there was no reason to believe the new one wouldn't cost as much. But it is a lot to pay considering what others are offering. Dell is selling their non-VGA Axim X30 (Windows SE, PXA270 processor, WiFi, BT, 64MB) for under $300 - assuming you can get one. The 5555 had 128MB of memory and a fingerprint scanner over the X30 - and an older OS. Not exactly worth $400+ dollars difference. New VGA PPC's from Dell and Asus will probably be under $500. Maybe even $450.

Let me say this ... Low power 4" VGA screen. Face it, these are not going to be cheap and/or in high supply now for the release of the first VGA Windows SE Handhelds.

When you consider that Toshiba is listing the e800 at $599 for a slower processor, the price for the iPaq doesn't seem so outrageous.

rugerx
07-21-2004, 06:30 PM
Ahh screw em, they can charge what they want. After being tossed on the SE upgrade, I dont think I will buy another pda.

They are making OQO type devices look better and better, or even a laptop for that matter.

van_mierlo
07-21-2004, 07:45 PM

I called eCost and, yes, you can cancel your order at any time. The cust service rep also said they have no information on ship dates and availability. I was also told that the price on the website could change at any time. So I figured I'd put an order in and if I find one cheaper somewhere else I'd cancel my eCost order.

So I ordered one, overnight for $579.36. (That's $563.18 for the hx4705 + $9.99 for Priority Overnight + $6.19 Handling & Processing fee.)

Great Thanks...I just called from Holland to ecost and they told me that the manufacturer garantueed within 2 weeks. So Indeed if I find it somewhere else sooner I will cancel my order since I will be in the states till August 15.

PR.
07-21-2004, 07:45 PM
I still think the OQO is gonna be a let down, sure the hardware looks good but the screen is just too small for normal windows applications.

Just try a VGA PocketPC and terminal service into a PC in landscape mode, and see what I mean...

Mark Johnson
07-22-2004, 01:02 AM
I still think the OQO is gonna be a let down, sure the hardware looks good but the screen is just too small for normal windows applications.

Just try a VGA PocketPC and terminal service into a PC in landscape mode, and see what I mean...

I'd love to have a chance to take a good look at an OQO, but it's taking forever to get to the market. Also, why it's USB 1.1 instead of USB 2.0 is beyond me...

ToddAB
07-22-2004, 01:07 AM
I'm new here, but I have been hoping for something new from HP. Comparing the 4705 for $600 range, and Dell X30 at nearly half the price is no comparison. The only thing I can see is the VGA screen. I haven't ever seen the Toshiba VGA, but wonder if anyone out there has and if it is worth 300 more bucks!!!??? :?:

Rob Alexander
07-22-2004, 04:04 AM

Yeah, you're completely right. What I can't figure out then, is why you seem irritated that people are discussing their needs and how for some of them the device is not worth $650. I thought that's what were here for. We're getting all sorts of opinions from people who would never pay that much to people who think its a steal. That's what a community is all about. Me? I might move on it if the Best Buy $499 price were correct, but I seriously doubt that it is. At $650, I'll stick with my 2215. Yes, I know it has a flip cover and all, but the 4705 still isn't worth $650 to me and I do think it's overpriced now that we know that HP is out of the upgrade business. I have paid that before for high-end PPCs, but that was always in the (successful) belief that I'd get two OS generations out of it. Now that they're sending the message that all of their devices are yearly disposable ones, I just think $650 is too much to spend.

Jonathon Watkins
07-22-2004, 01:25 PM
I'm new here, but I have been hoping for something new from HP. Comparing the 4705 for $600 range, and Dell X30 at nearly half the price is no comparison. The only thing I can see is the VGA screen. I haven't ever seen the Toshiba VGA, but wonder if anyone out there has and if it is worth 300 more bucks!!!??? :?:

ToddAB, good to have you onboard & nice avatar! 8)

Duncan over at FirstLOOX (http://www.firstloox.org/VGAppc.htm) has a good roundup of the new VGA devices. To be fair though the 4705 has a light strong magnesium case, USB hosting, a 4 inch VGA screen, a 624Mhz processor and a 1800mAh removable battery. That's all new and pretty much top of the range at the moment.

As I said, I would love to pay £350 ($600) for this, but I fear it will be £600 ($1000) over here in the UK. :|

Janak Parekh
07-22-2004, 05:10 PM
I'd love to have a chance to take a good look at an OQO, but it's taking forever to get to the market. Also, why it's USB 1.1 instead of USB 2.0 is beyond me...
This is sort of offtopic, but the reason it has USB 1.1 is because the (highly miniaturized) peripheral chipset they use doesn't come in a USB 2 version.

--janak

KAMware
07-23-2004, 12:17 AM
The eCost site has updated (down dated) the release date to "3 to 4 weeks". Wait, wait, wait.....

elehcdn
07-23-2004, 12:55 AM
The eCost site has updated (down dated) the release date to "3 to 4 weeks". Wait, wait, wait.....

... and they have upped the discounted price to $599. Let's just hope that they have totally sold out their initial shipment that was supposed to arrive next week and are now only taking orders for their next shipment due in a month! :?

Stephen Beesley
07-23-2004, 12:00 PM
$650 - £350
You lot wouldn't know a rip-off if it came and bit you on the arse (a$$) :lol:

Same deal (rip off 8O) or worse in Oz. Currently you would pay AU$1100 to 1200 for a HP5550 which equates to about US$780-850. I should imagine that a 4700 is going to set you back at least as much.

KAMware
07-23-2004, 02:01 PM

... and they have upped the discounted price to $599. Let's just hope that they have totally sold out their initial shipment that was supposed to arrive next week and are now only taking orders for their next shipment due in a month! :?

Hope springs eternal here also! :wink:

gohtor
07-23-2004, 03:23 PM
ecost has it listed at this price. so it's probably for real.

inteller
07-23-2004, 03:28 PM
the whole point of 2nd Gen WM2003 devices are to make them cheaper....

..HP had and took its chance to rip off individuals on buyig the premium of WM2003. Then sticking them in the eye with no WM2003 SE upgrade. Now here they come out with some WM2003SE devices....none of which offer any compelling functionality (landscape mode big deal :roll: )

The problem one has in choosing these devices is that you can't be sure HP will offer an upgrade to the new OS when it arrives. That is a scary proposition when considering a $600+ device.

The PPC experts here should do their civic duty to point these facts out to users considering such devices. Maybe after enough people defer these $600 rebadged 2003 devices, hp will get back to its roots in providing the type of support we came to expect with iPaqs.

As for now I'll stick to my equally functional 3970.

raddax
07-23-2004, 04:01 PM
I asked eCost Customer Service for an ETA on my 4705 order (placed earlier this week at the lower price!). The following is their reply:

"Thank you for your recent purchase. Our system indicates that your order is in a backorder status and will be shipped to you as soon as it arrives into our warehouse. The estimated time of arrival given to us by the manufacturer is 8/18/04.

ETA Dates are subject to change, and product availability and/or order shipment on this date cannot be guaranteed.

Thank you for your patience."

8/18! Darn...

yawanag
07-23-2004, 06:15 PM

I hear you, when prices go there, that's notebook pricing. Yeah you can't stick a notebook in you pocket, but you can stick the extra $250 you'll have from paying no more than $350 for one :D

These things are becoming almost a yearly purchase for me and it's getting tougher to justify it to my wife :)

This was definitely the way I felt especially since I got my HP 548 which for selling for $549 with a $250 Rebate. I vowed never to buy another at retail price unless it came with a Rebate.

After all my troubles with T-Mobile and 5 replacements I told myself I'd pay anything to get the memory I wanted, powerful specs and SIM Free.
This week, I just purchased the Imate at $799. browsed for weeks trying to get out at paying that price. Now that I own it, it's worth every penny.