View Full Version : Windows Media Player and SE

Len Egan
07-20-2004, 11:04 AM
I have a Toshiba E-805. When I upgraded from WM2003 to SE playback went from full screen to 1/4 of the screen. Obviously I need to change encoding settings. Does anybody know the best way to do this? Thanks. :?:

Darius Wey
07-20-2004, 01:13 PM
Obviously I need to change encoding settings.

You are talking about the file here right? Judging by the fact that you are talking about WMP, I suspect the file you are trying to play is a .WMV file, or something along the lines of that. Probably one of the best free tools out there that supports the vast majority of Microsoft's media formats is the Windows Media Encoder which can be downloaded from their website. In this program, you can set target parameters, size, encoding bitrates, etc. etc.

Len Egan
07-21-2004, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the response. I downloaded the encoder and wondered how do you transfer codec of 480X640 from the desktop to pocket pc. Do you know of any good newsgroups on the subject?

Sven Johannsen
07-21-2004, 08:07 PM
You don't. You need to re-encode your video to 640x480 to fill the screen on your VGA PPC. Unfortunately that also makes the file 4 times as big, all other parameters staying the same.

Doesn't the Toshiba have some sort of feature to expand the video to full screen? It would just map the pixels to 4 pixels, and it should look at least as good as it did on a 1/4VGA PPC.

Your problem now is that the video is encoded for 320x240, 1/4 of your screen resolution, so that is what is being played.

Len Egan
07-22-2004, 03:25 AM
Toshiba hasn't done anything as of yet. they haven't even posted the SE upgrade on their US site yet. It has only appeared on the European site. Is there a way to do it in encoder? I don't see a way to do it in the media player itself.

Darius Wey
07-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Is there a way to do it in encoder? I don't see a way to do it in the media player itself.

Fiddle around with the settings in WM Encoder. You should be able to resize your original 320x240 video to 640x480. Otherwise, if you have an original high res file, you can also resize it to 640x480. If you don't know how to do it the advanced way, there's always a wizard in the program that can help you out.

currahee
07-22-2004, 10:13 PM
You can create a custom video size to fir your VGA screen if you're going to reencode the media files in Windows Media Encoder.
If you click on video size (before this, go to Compression, set it to PocketPC and set a res), look below and you'll see Resize.
You can adjust there your VGA screen. I think it should work...