View Full Version : H2215 power off/on problem after ROM update

Rune
07-20-2004, 07:32 AM
I've just been looking over all the threads on this forum from 4/1/04 to the present and can't seem to find anyone with this problem who's posted.
I did the update several days ago and thought all was well (I know I know if it's not "broke" don't fix it).

Well now, all of a sudden the when I have the unit power off on it's own after 3 minutes and even if I manually turn it off sometimes, I can't turn it back on unless I do a soft reset. I've tried many configs of programs being open but can't seem to narrow it down to anything in particular.

This is really ticking me off since I remember going through this (except the battery would drain) when Calligrapher and PI were being used together.

PLEASE! Has anyone found a fix or similar problem to this. I need a support group! It's lonely out here. :cry:
Thanks as always!

OLE
07-20-2004, 07:52 AM
I had the same problem with the initial ROM (1.00). After some time I have found, that PenReader was the cause -- after removing it all works fine. So keep trying, until you'll find the problem-causing software...

Steven Cedrone
07-20-2004, 12:26 PM
What software have you installed since you did the update???

Steve

Rune
07-20-2004, 03:05 PM
I installed Kai's BT Headset patch and Runtime and have now taken that off. I'll see if that helps. Unfortunately, I noticed that the battery has now run dry as well so the problem is back as before.
I'll let you know later today if removing that program helped.
Thanks

Rune
07-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Well, I removed Kai's programs and am still having the problem.
Is it time to do a hard reset? GRRRR!! :evil:

I alos noticed that when I tap on the keyboard icon in Transcriber the symbol board pops up instead. Yikes!

Dazbot
07-21-2004, 12:44 AM
Have you restored from a backup made before you did the ROM upgrade?

That could cause some problems and isn't recommended

I'd recommend a copying everything to a PC and syncing with Outlook and then hard resetting it.

Rune
07-21-2004, 07:08 PM
Yea, no I haven't restored from the old ROM but the problem persists. I think it's time (who really wants to take the time!) to do the hard reset.

Why do these things always "seem" to happen with "updates". Seems like an oxymoron- or am I just the moron for doing it when nothing is really broken!?
Thanks for the input.

dunneldeen
07-22-2004, 12:37 AM
Did you just remove the Kai's BT Headset patch software, or did you reverse the changes it made.

There has been a registry hack available for the 22xx series that enables the headset profile, but it doesn't work very well (and happens to exibit problems VERY similar to what you described.) You may need to undo what the Kai's software did to make the problem go away. Attached below is a clip of the lo tech regedit method to enable the hack, it should give you a clue on how to back out of Kai's manually.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

After much frustration of why HP didn't release a bt headset profile for the 2210, I found out why they didn't. The sound quality sux, at least for listening to music. It sounds like an AM radio through my Jabra bt headset, but it might be tolerable for playing games, or listening to ebooks though. All this time of searching the net for possible headset profile, it was right under our noses. Well here is the hack if anyone is interested...

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Widcomm\BtConfig\Services\0005\Enabled

Change value to 1. (from 0)

HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\WaveDev\Dll

Change value to BtCeIf.dll (from wavedev.dll)

Reset device,
Run bluetooth manager and connect to headset.. partner.
right(hold) click and connect
When it gets connected, you will hear a beep from the headset like you are getting a call. Answer.
After that, all the sound will be routed to the headset.

Thread on the issue:

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85322

dunneldeen
07-22-2004, 12:40 AM
OR

Reinstall Kai's BT Patch and tell it to deactivate the headset.

Rune
07-22-2004, 12:56 AM
I thought I had done both i.e. uninstall the patch and reverse the changes but I didn't know that it changed the "wavedev.dll" as well. So I've done that and will see what happens.
Great info!!

Rune
07-22-2004, 08:19 PM
I wanted to finish up this thread for anybody needing the results.
After I reset the registry for 1 back to 0 everything seemed to clear up. I completely deleted Kai's Patch and did a soft reset but then went into the registry and un-did that change. After reading "dunneldee"s suggestion though, I also the "wavdev" change and I believe I'm back in business-WIHOUT A HARD RESET!! :D

Thanks to everyone!!