View Full Version : Screen off when using Media Player 9 on 2210

Dilldog
07-19-2004, 10:39 PM
Hi All,

I've been trying to find a way to completely turn off the screen (rather than just dim it) when playing MP3/WMA files to consrve the battery.

I've looked all over and it seems possible with other models but I can't seem to find anything for the 2210/2215.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Dilldog

Janak Parekh
07-19-2004, 11:02 PM
It's built into Windows Media Player. You can assign "Screen Toggle" to one of your hardware buttons, and pressing it turns the screen and the backlight completely off.

Dilldog
07-19-2004, 11:10 PM
Doh!

Only spent an hour trying to find something like that - I was looking in settings for the iPAQ. :oops:

Thanks! :D

ironguy
07-20-2004, 03:30 PM
If you hold down the power button, the screen will turn off. Press and hold again to turn the screen back on.

abesrve
07-21-2004, 09:39 AM
If you hold down the power button, the screen will turn off. Press and hold again to turn the screen back on.

That would stop media player as well, wouldn't it?

Dilldog
07-21-2004, 10:14 AM

That would stop media player as well, wouldn't it?

A quick press of the power button is on/off but if you hold it down it turns off the backlight but not the actual display. I use it sometimes in bright sun to save the battery.

The solution in WMP9 that Janak eluded to is best for MP3 playing though - it allows the normal function of the buttons to be overidden by WMP9 and assigned new functions. It's in tools>setting>buttons once you have WMP9 fired up. I've got the toggle control doing the volume and track selection, with a screen off (really off!), pause and mute set up too. Cool! :D

Thanks again Janak! 0X

Janak Parekh
07-21-2004, 03:29 PM
A quick press of the power button is on/off but if you hold it down it turns off the backlight but not the actual display. I use it sometimes in bright sun to save the battery.
Exactly -- the LCD is still consuming power. Moreover, it's still sensitive to taps. I prefer turning off the screen entirely, which prevents accidental tapping and maximizes battery conservation.

--janak