View Full Version : Disable Today Screen plug-ins

victore
07-19-2004, 06:19 PM
Is there a way to disable some or all of the Today Screen plug-ins from launching after a soft reset? I installed Battery Pack Pro on my Tosh e800 (still running WM2003) and when I soft reset my device, the screen becomes non-responsive, and I can't get into the Settings to disable it. I can cradle my device and access the file structure of my PDA, but I suspect that the loading of the Today Screen plug-ins are controlled from the registry. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

pocketman
07-19-2004, 06:32 PM
if you have a remote registry editor....
go to
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\

select the item you want to disable...

there is a value called "Enabled" change it to 0

and soft-reset.

victore
07-19-2004, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have a favorite remote registry editor that you can suggest?

Steven Cedrone
07-19-2004, 08:49 PM
Once the device is cradled, just go into Activesync and uninstall the application (Battery Pack Pro)...

Steve

Don't Panic!
07-19-2004, 10:03 PM
Go to Start > Personal > Today then the Items tab. Uncheck the plug-ins you don't want to load. Simple! Registry edits... You guys have been at this to long. :)

Don't Panic!
Bobby

Janak Parekh
07-19-2004, 11:01 PM
Go to Start > Personal > Today then the Items tab. Uncheck the plug-ins you don't want to load. Simple! Registry edits... You guys have been at this to long. :)
No - reread the original post. He can't manipulate his PDA, although he can cradle it.

--janak

Don't Panic!
07-20-2004, 03:35 AM
Well then Steve is correct. If the app doesn't work, delete it. Simple! Guess I'm a luddite at heart, Keep it simple stupid. It's not a pejorative. it's a philosophy. Reg hacks are cool but they're for advanced users. Isn't there a program that lets you access your Pocket PC's functions and programs from your desktop? If I could remember the name of that, that would be a simple solution. Anybody know the name of the program I'm thinking of?

Don't Panic!
Bobby

Darius Wey
07-20-2004, 04:28 AM
Isn't there a program that lets you access your Pocket PC's functions and programs from your desktop?

You are talking about the whole remote access principle right? If so, there's a bundle of programs out there. I'm pretty sure GoToMyPC (https://www.gotomypc.com/) does it, as does NetOp (http://www.netop.com/_Remote+Control).

Don't Panic!
07-20-2004, 04:43 AM
That's not it DJ Apod. This program let's you use your PPC while cradled through your PC'S keyboard. I'm off to googleland to find it.

Don't Panic!
Bobby

Darius Wey
07-20-2004, 04:45 AM
That's not it DJ Apod. This program let's you use your PPC while cradled through your PC'S keyboard. I'm off to googleland to find it.

Say what?!? How do you cradle a PPC through a PC's keyboard? 8)

Don't Panic!
07-20-2004, 04:51 AM

Don't Panic!
Bobby

Don't Panic!
07-20-2004, 05:00 AM
SOTI Pocket controller (http://www.soti.net/default.asp?Cmd=Products&SubCmd=PCPro). While your device is cradled you should be able to get to settings and uncheck those today plug-ins. There's a trial version available.

HTH

Don't Panic!
Bobby

Darius Wey
07-20-2004, 05:13 AM
I get what you're talking about now. I remember Microsoft used to have a free version of something similar. It was pretty old and I don't know if it's still available.

Sven Johannsen
07-20-2004, 03:10 PM
The MS thing is a Powertoy. Check the downloads on MSs Win Mobile pages. It still exists and even still works on my friends X30 (WM2003SE), though not in landscape.

Both that and SOTI allow you to mirror what is going on on the PPC. That is, if the PPC hangs, the remote display hangs along with it. Both require being able to install and activate clients on the PPC.

If you can't use AS to un-install the apps you think are causing the hang, I think you are looking at a hard reset. Suck it up and do it.

There are only two kinds of PPC users, those that have hard reset, and those that will. ;)

Don't Panic!
07-20-2004, 04:00 PM
Now that's a simple solution!
Two types of Pocket PC users... LOL :)

Don't Panic!
Bobby

pocketman
07-20-2004, 06:20 PM
A very good remote registry editor is the FREE one from Microsoft.

Install eMedded Visual Tools 3.0 (for PPC 2002) or eMedded Vistual C 4.0 (for PPC 2003).

It has a remote registry in Tools Menu.

Sven Johannsen
07-20-2004, 07:20 PM
A very good remote registry editor is the FREE one from Microsoft.

Install eMedded Visual Tools 3.0 (for PPC 2002) or eMedded Vistual C 4.0 (for PPC 2003).

It has a remote registry in Tools Menu.

Agreed, but installing a full developement environment to use the built in remote registry editor might be a little extreme for some. :wink: