View Full Version : Couple of questions about upcoming PPC's...

GoldenTiger
07-17-2004, 09:08 PM
Are there any PPC's planned with gaming controls that are actual PPC's (not the GameTRAC lol)?

Does the Toshiba A730 coming out soon have the Intel Marathon 2700 chip? I keep hearing conflicting information regarding this.

Does NetFront support VGA screens in landscape mode?

When is the next major update of Windows Mobile coming out with support for the new 3d accelerators in the form of Direct3D Mobile?

Thanks!

Janak Parekh
07-17-2004, 09:24 PM
Answering the ones I can...

Are there any PPC's planned with gaming controls that are actual PPC's (not the GameTRAC lol)?
You mean, with a dpad? Several. Not with Tapwave-style controls, though.

When is the next major update of Windows Mobile coming out with support for the new 3d accelerators in the form of Direct3D Mobile?
Not for a while. I'd assume the next Pocket PC OS, at the very least.

--janak

GoldenTiger
07-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Thanks for your reply. By controls suitable for gaming, I mean a unit with a d-pad and four or more buttons on the right-hand side of it (preferably with the d-pad on the left-hand front side of the unit, and the buttons on the right-hand front side of the unit), for good emulation and PPC gaming :).

How long will it be until the next PPC OS? 6 months or so, if anyone even knows? Also, if I buy a unit with the Intel Marathon 2700 chip before then, will the new upgrade work on the unit and suport the 3d chip fully, or will it be for brand-new PPC's only? How has it been like historically?

Janak Parekh
07-18-2004, 12:49 AM
Thanks for your reply. By controls suitable for gaming, I mean a unit with a d-pad and four or more buttons on the right-hand side of it (preferably with the d-pad on the left-hand front side of the unit, and the buttons on the right-hand front side of the unit), for good emulation and PPC gaming :).
Ah - you mean something like the Casio E-125 or EM-500 style. I haven't seen any of those lately. :|

How long will it be until the next PPC OS? 6 months or so, if anyone even knows?
You mean, after WM2003SE? I don't know the exact timeframe, but even if I did, I couldn't post it here. There have been a few rumors around, and you can hunt for it... but considering Second edition came out a little earlier this year, I wouldn't bet on seeing it right away.

Also, if I buy a unit with the Intel Marathon 2700 chip before then, will the new upgrade work on the unit and suport the 3d chip fully, or will it be for brand-new PPC's only? How has it been like historically?
That would be for the OEM to decide whether they support an upgrade, and if so, what drivers they provide for it.

--janak

Duncan
07-18-2004, 02:09 PM
Thanks for your reply. By controls suitable for gaming, I mean a unit with a d-pad and four or more buttons on the right-hand side of it (preferably with the d-pad on the left-hand front side of the unit, and the buttons on the right-hand front side of the unit), for good emulation and PPC gaming .

Ah - now there IS something coming up. The Palmax z720 (made by Compal. An oddity. It will run WM2003SE, it is a GPS Pocket PC and MAY have been designed originally for Toshiba to release (the Palmax brand is owned by Compal - who usually produce Pocket PCs for others).

The only info that can be found on the z720 is on Russian sites so heaven knows if the z720 will get released anywhere else. Mobile-review.com (http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/review/palmax-z720-en.shtml) has an english language review of the z720 - and here is a picture:

http://www.firstloox.org/palmaxz720.jpg

Ryan Joseph
07-18-2004, 02:17 PM
Ah - now there IS something coming up. The Palmax z720 (made by Compal. An oddity. It will run WM2003SE, it is a GPS Pocket PC and MAY have been designed originally for Toshiba to release (the Palmax brand is owned by Compal - who usually produce Pocket PCs for others)

Whoa, how long have you known about this? I sense a frontpage post on this one. It looks very...um...unique? What's up with that weird antenna?

Anyway, it's good to see more manufacturers incorperating GPS into their devices. :mrgreen:

Duncan
07-18-2004, 02:39 PM
Whoa, how long have you known about this? I sense a frontpage post on this one.

Sorry! Didn't occur to me to mention it!

Janak Parekh
07-18-2004, 07:23 PM
My thoughts exactly. :P I've assigned it out, hopefully we'll see it on the frontpage soon. ;)

--janak

Jonathon Watkins
07-19-2004, 02:38 AM
My thoughts exactly. :P I've assigned it out, hopefully we'll see it on the frontpage soon. ;)

I'm on it. :D Lets redirect any posts about the z720 to here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=264981).

Please do continue your regular scheduled posts about PPCs with gaming controls. :D

Duncan
07-19-2004, 03:41 AM
Ah - the PPCT food chain - member -> reviewer -> news editor -> contributing editor -> back to the members. An ever harmonious cycle of perfection! :wink: