View Full Version : I have a few q's before ordering an X30

ltclydefrog
07-16-2004, 05:25 PM
My main concern is how long will it take to ship. I hear that a lot of people arent able to get their's (im getting the top of the line one) and ship date is like a month after they order. Has this problem been resolved and have they been shipping in good time now. Also, how often is it that someone gets a defective axim, its seem that a lot more people complain about dells than they do about hps and toshibas.

CoreyJF
07-16-2004, 06:09 PM
When you buy something from a brick and morter store, it is usualy easier if there are problems. I haven't had any problems and I had mine arrive well before the expected ship date. I have had both Toshiba and HP devices, and the x30 is by far an away a superior product.

ltclydefrog
07-16-2004, 06:28 PM
Which x30 did you get and when did you order it?

CoreyJF
07-16-2004, 07:25 PM
I have the Hi option 624. I ordered it on 5/22. It arrived on 6/2 which was about 2 weeks ahead of schedule.

Maybe I am one of the lucky ones, or maybe others who are not so lucky are more vocal then the average user, without real stats there is no way to tell. If you need instant gratification, then dell might not be a good choice for you. But if you want a superior product at a significantly cheaper price, then go for it. No, you can't walk into a best buy and walk out that day with it, you have to go through the whole build and deliver processes. But that is a large part of the reason dell is able to offer what it offers at such an affordable price point. It is a matter of what is more important to you. If the convenience and time factor of being able to buy and exchange (if there is a problem) is more important then the price and performance, then buy a Toshiba or HP. If you can wait and want a great piece of hardware, go with dell. For the record I have bought defective units from both Toshiba and HP; No product or vendor is perfect.

Zab
07-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Ordered my dell on July 5th, 2004. It is expected to deliver on the 29th of july and im supposed to get it between the 3rd and the 5th august. I have talked with tech support and they say they see nothing wrong with my order (i.e. couldnt find a specific part or what not ) to delay it so long. yes, im ticked its taking this long but, im getting a great PPC for a great price, especially compared to the prices on the new HPs.

All in all, personally, im willing to wait for a dell. Im getting impatient but i have had my dell laptop for over 4 years now with no problems so i trust dell. its all up to you. instant gratification and possibly paying a higher price or waiting and getting a dell.

Vidge
07-16-2004, 10:24 PM
CoreyJF, you were indeed lucky. I ordered mine (624) on 5/21, I finally got it 6/8 and it was defective. I ordered an advance exchange on 6/10 and by 6/25, I got tired of waiting for it. I arranged a return and bought a hp4155 instead.

ltclydefrog
07-16-2004, 10:49 PM
I decided to get the ipaq 4155 instead, not only because of time and other's problems (it was a factor) but also because of the look and size of the ipaq and i think the speed of the ipaq will be plenty for me.

Vidge
07-17-2004, 02:49 AM
Good choice! 8) (Posting from my hp4155 right now :lol: )

CoreyJF
07-19-2004, 06:38 PM
CoreyJF, you were indeed lucky. I ordered mine (624) on 5/21, I finally got it 6/8 and it was defective. I ordered an advance exchange on 6/10 and by 6/25, I got tired of waiting for it. I arranged a return and bought a hp4155 instead.

My point is without true statistics there is no way to tell if I was the lucky one, or if you were unlucky. In other words, a few negative postings are not necessarily indicative of a problem with Dell’s Axim-x30

CoreyJF
07-19-2004, 06:49 PM
I decided to get the ipaq 4155 instead, not only because of time and other's problems (it was a factor) but also because of the look and size of the ipaq and i think the speed of the ipaq will be plenty for me.

The Ipaq 4155 was a decent machine. I enjoyed mine until the screen blanked out on me. the 4155 is sleeker and smaller. It like all ppc's has bugs and anoyances, such as the yellowish screen and having to do a soft reset if you close windows media player while it is playing a file (sounds gets muted until a soft reset). But over all I was very happy with it, and I am sure you will be as well.

Vidge
07-19-2004, 08:05 PM

My point is without true statistics there is no way to tell if I was the lucky one, or if you were unlucky. In other words, a few negative postings are not necessarily indicative of a problem with Dell’s Axim-x30

If Aximsite is any indication, then Dell has a problem. I am well aware that complaints generally outweigh kudos on these boards. Even so, I think Dell it is obvious that Dell has, at least, a problem shipping the devices timely and likely a QC problem with the units once shipped.

CoreyJF
07-19-2004, 08:41 PM
Vidge

From what I can tell, most of the complaints about slow shipping have been from people who neglect to read the estimated ship date before ordering it. You yourself said you ordered it on 5/21 and it arrived 18 days latter on 6/8. Even if you selected overnight shipment that is well with in there usual x30 build/ship estimates. It is unfortunate that it was defective. But I have personally bought defective machines from both Toshiba and HP. You then said you ordered an advanced exchange on 6/10 and canceled it on 6/25 because you were tired of waiting after only 15 days. I am sure that was frustrating because it was so long after your initial order. But one of the reasons Dell is able to offer the Axim’s at the price point that they do, is they build to order. When you buy an Ipaq you know you can walk into a computer superstore and they will have 5 under the counter, and if they are sold out, there competitors down the street will have them in stock. You pay more for less, but receive convenience and expediency in trade. As for the Aximsite being an accurate indicator, I have found myself less then impressed with the general knowledge and usefull nature of the “average” post there.

stupidlikeafox
07-20-2004, 09:22 PM
The majority of people who had to wait 1month+ ordered theirs at the end of June. About that time Intel apparently ran out of processors to send to Dell. I ordered my X30-HI a week ago and it should ship in early august. I'm confident it will be well worth the wait. Sources on aximsite.com are also saying that the couple week lead time is becomeing steadily less and less.

hope that helps clear things up

Vidge
07-20-2004, 10:25 PM
First of all, Dell screwed up the shipping of my initial order. I was supposed to get overnight shipping (using my carrier, BTW) and instead they sent it ground, which increased the time between shipping and delivery.

Second - the advanced exchange I ordered was promised in 3-5 business days, and then would be shipped overnight. I didn't even call them about it until the 5th business day (6/17) when it hadn't moved on the website. On 6/25 (now 11 business days beyond my original request), I was told that something happened in the process and they would have to cancel my order and start the process all over again. In other words, I would have another 3-5 business days to wait before it would ship. (Dell has no way to modify an order. Their system is to cancel one and start another, moving you to the back of the line every time.)

Finally, I did purchase this thru Dell Small Business. As a business owner myself, I can't imagine treating my customers this way. I wouldn't be in business very long, that's for sure.

FYI - Dell billed me on 6/4, the date the unit shipped. They picked it up on 6/29 (UPS) and claimed that they didn't receive it until 7/12. (Guess that was a slow boat.) My credit is not supposed to post for 10-15 business days after that so all in all, Dell would have had my money for nearly 2 months.

I've bought other products from Dell, including 2 computers in April, and have not had these problems. In this case, they promised something that they were unable to deliver. As the result, I'l be unlikely to do business with them again.