View Full Version : Changing PPC program titles

Darius Wey
07-16-2004, 11:33 AM
I doubt it's possible without some hard-core .exe manipulation but is it possible to change the title of the program that appears in the navigation bar up top of the PPC?

Jason Dunn
07-16-2004, 07:39 PM
No, not without hacking the binary I believe. I don't THINK it's registry related, but I'm not 100% sure.

Kati Compton
07-16-2004, 07:51 PM
No, not without hacking the binary I believe. I don't THINK it's registry related, but I'm not 100% sure.
It COULD be in the registry, if that's the way the program was written (ie, to store a string in the registry, and then access that string when naming the application's main window). But 99.99999% of the time, I'd guess it's just hard-coded.

Time to get out the hex editor! ;)

Kowalski
07-16-2004, 09:28 PM
download the program called resource hacker.
most of the string including the program name is stored in a structure called string resource. resource hacker will show you all the resources in any PE format executable. if you are lucky and the programs name is coded into string resource, than you can change the name. plus you can make some modifications of the programs apperience.

i've done lots of reversing but never seen a programs name is copied to registry.

Kati Compton
07-17-2004, 05:30 AM
download the program called resource hacker.
Oh, right! I forgot about the new-fangled way to program, and had regressed back to my "let's change all the building names in Civilization" days. ;)

Darius Wey
07-17-2004, 07:42 AM
Yep. I was think along the lines of ResHacker. I've done a bit of investigating over the past few months and agreed that most of the PPC program names are not stored in the registry. Some programs I've written for the PC don't store their title names in the registry so I doubt that the PPC ones would either.

Thanks people!

Kak
07-17-2004, 09:22 AM
I doubt it's possible without some hard-core .exe manipulation but is it possible to change the title of the program that appears in the navigation bar up top of the PPC?

well, it should depend on the way that part of the app is coded, but it'd be absolutely possible. Keep in mind that the string will be probably in UNICODE, which means two bytes per char, so if you're searching for the title with a binary editor, you should search for UNICODE strings.

Chucky
07-17-2004, 09:30 AM
I imagine that if you change the string you will be unable to change it to something longer than the original string.

Kak
07-17-2004, 10:43 AM
I imagine that if you change the string you will be unable to change it to something longer than the original string.
Yes, that's true :)