View Full Version : I can only browse my LAN

JasonLJames
07-15-2004, 06:48 AM
Hi All,

I have connected my iPAQ 5450 to my LAN using a WAP and the WiFi hardware included with the device.

I can see any pages hosted by web servers on the LAN (Windows 2K machines running IIS 5). However, I cannot see any web sites on the Internet. However, if I connect my iPAQ to my PC using the supplied USB cable then I can go to pages both on my LAN and the Internet!

Can anyone offer any reasons as to why this should be, and what I need to do to correct it?

My iPAQ is running Pocket PC 2003, incase that makes any difference.

Many thanks,

Jason.

manywhere
07-15-2004, 07:01 AM
Do you have a proxy between your LAN and the net, possibly?
What assigns the IP to your Pocket PC, DHCP or is it a static address?
Have you put any DNS servers in the connections settings on your Pocket PC and/or WiFi access point?

Answering those questions will help us help you... I hope... :D

Jereboam
07-15-2004, 11:47 AM
I just dealt with this issue, also with a 5450.

I got an IP assigned by DHCP, could browse the network through Resco Explorer, could ping the gateway, but could not get out to the web or pick up my email.

It looks like there is some sort of incompatibility with Server 2003 and DNS translation.

If you go Connections, Advanced tab, Network Card button, Network Adapter tab, select iPAQ USB Wireless Adapter, leave it get a server assigned IP via DHCP, but on the Name Servers tab manually enter your ISP's DNS settings.

This was the only way I could get it to work. Luckily I have the same ISP at home as well, so this is not too much of a pain but I can imagine for frequent travellers changing this all the time will be annoying.

Hope this helps.

J'bm

JasonLJames
07-16-2004, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the help so far. There is no proxy between my LAN and the Internet that I am aware of. What exactly do you mean by a proxy? My LAN is conected to the Internet with an ADSL router. The IP addresses of all of my LAN devices are static and assigned by me. The DNS entries are in the device and they are those of my ISP. The same as those entered into the connection settings of my PCs.

Hope that providers you with enough info to offer me some additional things to check and try.

Many thanks,

Jason.