View Full Version : Current Solution?

GSibble
07-14-2004, 07:24 PM
Hey everyone! I've got a simple question for yall:

What is your current solution for a cell phone/PDA?

Here's what I want to do:

Activesync with my exchange server
Manage my servers at work
Receive cell phone calls
Use a BT headset
MP3 Player
GPS Navigation using my BT GPS receiver

And I want to do it all with one device. Right now I use a P900 which does pretty well but it can't receive exchange email and doesn't have good GPS software.

However, the P900 does give me a simple phone that also does some PDA features. It syncs in a cradle at home and reminds me of my appointments correctly.

So, what do you guys use? What do you reccomend?

What I really want to do is buy an e800 or a Toshiba LOOX 610 and put a GSM/GPRS CF card into it. But I don't think I'll be able to use the headset then!!!

Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

-GPS

Badandy
07-14-2004, 07:44 PM
You might want to check out the soon to be available Ipaq 6000 series Pocket PC. I don't know the exact model number, but it is a PocketPC phone, and it has both Bluetooth and WLAN.

GSibble
07-14-2004, 07:52 PM
You might want to check out the soon to be available Ipaq 6000 series Pocket PC. I don't know the exact model number, but it is a PocketPC phone, and it has both Bluetooth and WLAN.

It's called the 6310/6315 and I'm extremely excited about it.

Unfortunately, I need a solution NOW. That's why I asked about current solutions, not future ones.

The MPX is also going to be a great device, but it might not be out for a while.

So what does everyone use now?

-GPS

Ingo1004
07-14-2004, 08:36 PM
Hey everyone! I've got a simple question for yall:

What is your current solution for a cell phone/PDA?

Here's what I want to do:

Activesync with my exchange server
Manage my servers at work
Receive cell phone calls
Use a BT headset
MP3 Player
GPS Navigation using my BT GPS receiver

-GPS

Hi there,
T-Mobile in Germany offers a device called MDA2 which is in use at my company and features all things you mentioned.
It's a standard pocketpc with integrated cell phone.

Check out this link I found on T-Mobile US website, looks similar to the German MDA2:
http://www.t-mobile.com/business/products/overview.asp?phoneid=216840

Janak Parekh
07-14-2004, 09:01 PM
Ingo - that's the equivalent of the MDA I. :(

GSibble, you want the MDA II/XDA II, most likely. It's not available from wireless carriers in the US - you'll need to buy it unlocked from a third party. It has 128MB, Bluetooth, and is GSM/GPRS. Pretty popular device. :)

--janak

GSibble
07-14-2004, 09:05 PM
Ingo - that's the equivalent of the MDA I. :(

GSibble, you want the MDA II/XDA II, most likely. It's not available from wireless carriers in the US - you'll need to buy it unlocked from a third party. It has 128MB, Bluetooth, and is GSM/GPRS. Pretty popular device. :)

--janak

Hey Janak. That's what I've been thinking for the past few days. The only thing really stopping me is the $1000 price tag. And I don't really want to carry around something that big in my pocket all day and night long. The P900 fits pretty well, but when I go out, it's gonna be a pain in the a** to bring the XDA II.

However, I just found someone who will sell me an MPX!! I think I'm just gonna get that and call it a day.

-GPS