View Full Version : What do you miss most on your Pocket PC?

teq
07-14-2004, 07:04 PM
Hi,

just to make myself clear: I am very happy with my iPAQ 2210 and do not regret having switched to "the dark side".

But there are a few little things that I miss (compared to my old Palm), and I wonder whether I'm the only one.

For example, one thing that really bugs me is that there are no separate speaker settings for alarm sounds, system sounds and game sounds. On my Palm, I could mute the game sounds and system sounds and still keep my alarm sounds turned on (or vice a versa). It's even possible to define different profiles. Pretty obvious, if you think about it.

On my 2210, on the other hand, when I'm listening to an MP3 I'm regularly almost deafened by an alarm sound going off. :silly:

Do you have any other things that you are missing and that you would like to see in the next version of Windows Mobile (or maybe in a third party solution)?

Cheers,
teq

Vidge
07-14-2004, 11:57 PM
I really got a PPC just to see what all the fuss is about :D and I still have my T3. So far, my biggest gripe is that the alarms are just not loud enough. I am using an hp4155 (and had a Dell X30 before that) and I just can't hear them. I've tried changing the sounds, I've searched for alternatives - nada. Using my hp4155 as an alarm clock just ain't gonna happen :(

Pat Logsdon
07-15-2004, 12:31 AM
For example, one thing that really bugs me is that there are no separate speaker settings for alarm sounds, system sounds and game sounds. On my Palm, I could mute the game sounds and system sounds and still keep my alarm sounds turned on (or vice a versa).
To turn off alarms but keep normal system sounds (games, etc.) just go to Start -> Settings -> Sounds and Notifications, and uncheck the "Notifications (alarms, reminders)" box under "Programs". If you keep the Programs box checked, you should be good to go.

I agree that profiles would be pretty handy as a built in feature, but there are third party programs that will do this for you. One of them is Meeting Mute. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28204&start=0) The other is a Pocket PC Phone Edition program called Pocket Zen Phone. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28467&start=0) I'd love to see the functionality of this program in a normal PPC.

aguila
08-16-2004, 01:28 AM
The only thing I miss so far with my new dell Axim deals with outlook.

There is a feature in the palm calendar, that allows the user to set up different catagories with different colors. This was extremely helpful to me in the workweek view.

I was able to set up catagories such as work, meetings, training, etc. Then assign a seperate color for each group. By doing this it is easy to take a quick glance at the up coming week and better manage my time.

If anyone knows of an add-in or update to outlook please let me know. I have experimented with other PIM's such as pocket informant, but I found they are just to over the top and the simplicity of outlook is more important to my needs.

Kati Compton
08-16-2004, 04:56 AM
For example, one thing that really bugs me is that there are no separate speaker settings for alarm sounds, system sounds and game sounds. On my Palm, I could mute the game sounds and system sounds and still keep my alarm sounds turned on (or vice a versa). It's even possible to define different profiles. Pretty obvious, if you think about it.
Gets to me too. I also don't like the "bip. bop!" sound of using the Start Menu.