View Full Version : Deleting Programs

apanther28
07-14-2004, 03:19 PM
What is the best way to fully delete programs? I can delete them using Resco File Explorer, but often the icons are left behind. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a common problem? I think a long time ago I saw a thread where you have to delete the icons seperately. How do you do this?

Pony99CA
07-14-2004, 03:44 PM
What is the best way to fully delete programs? I can delete them using Resco File Explorer, but often the icons are left behind. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a common problem? I think a long time ago I saw a thread where you have to delete the icons seperately. How do you do this?
If you just want to delete a program from your Pocket PC, you should use the Remove Programs settings applet. (See the System tab in Settings.)

If you want to remove the program from your Pocket PC and remove the installation files on your PC, use the Add/Remove Programs action in ActiveSync. Just uncheck the program you want to uninstall.

Deleting files using a file explorer will rarely delete all components of the program. If you have leftover shortcut icons, go the the \Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder and delete the shortcuts there. However, you may still have other files in the Windows folder and items in the registry. It's just like Windows in this regard.

Steve

Steven Cedrone
07-14-2004, 03:46 PM
Use "Start |Settings | System | Remove Programs" for program removal. For icons that do not get removed, use explorer and navigate to "My Device | Windows | Start Menu", you will find the shortcuts in there...

Steve

Pony types faster than I do! :wink:

apanther28
07-14-2004, 04:37 PM
Thanks!

Pony99CA
07-14-2004, 10:27 PM
Pony types faster than I do! :wink:
Doubtful, Steve -- I probably just started 20 minutes before you. :lol:

Shouldn't we make this an FAQ by now? Lots of people ask how to remove shortcuts and it would be nice to just be able to point them to a definitive post. :-)

Steve

pocketman
07-20-2004, 06:27 PM

The best way is to use the system applet "Remove Programs", and then follow that by a cleaner program to remove any leftovers. This is because some programs leave files or registry after the uninstall.

I suggest MemMaid as a cleaner.