View Full Version : Well I have gone and done it....

Stephen Beesley
07-14-2004, 02:47 PM
Yep that's right I have ebayed my old faithful Jornada and assorted bits and pieces. The auctions closed today and soon I will hopefully ahve some hot cash burning a hole in my paypal account.

It was a very hard decision for me to make, but in the end it seemed that if I wanted to get any sort of useable sale price on them then it had to be now or never. I hope it is going to a good home.....

So now my big decision is what to replace the Jornada with. Anyone who has read any of my recent posts will know that I am thinking of a refurbished e755 - the amount I got for my Jornada and extras just about exactely matches the price these are going for on ebay (I am helped by the € v US$ exchange rate). Now I just have to wait for the payments to clear.......

dean_shan
07-14-2004, 04:47 PM
Please tell me you still have your Newtons?

Stephen Beesley
07-15-2004, 08:57 AM
Please tell me you still have your Newtons?

Ohhh pleeeesee.....

It will be a very cold day in hell when I part with my Newtons :devilboy:

In fact in the "down time" between sending off the Jornada to its new owner and deciding on/ordering/receiving a replacement I am looking forward to firing up my Newton uMP2k and reminding myself what a real pen based OS should look like :D

And of course no need to worry about restoring from an old backup or reloading all my programs - just slap in a new set of batteries reset the time and date and I am good to go!

dean_shan
07-15-2004, 09:21 PM
And of course no need to worry about restoring from an old backup or reloading all my programs - just slap in a new set of batteries reset the time and date and I am good to go!

I love that feature. How many newtons do you have?

Stephen Beesley
07-16-2004, 08:43 AM

I love that feature. How many newtons do you have?

Just the two now - a Messagae Pad 130 and an upgraded MP2000 (my user name here used to be uMP2k infact!) At different times I have also owned a MP110 and a MP120, but these are my favourite models. Even now, I would love to get my hands on an eMate as well.

Although I do not use them anywhere near as much as they deserve I still have a lot of fun with them when I do dig them out. The one area that the Newton always shined for me was notetaking. The PPC just cannot compete at this stage IMHO.

dean_shan
07-17-2004, 12:35 AM
Hey same here, I have a 130 and a 2000 (no upgrade). I find it funny that the old Newtons have true multitasking and a new Palm still doesn't.

dorelse
07-17-2004, 04:32 AM
I also have a 130 and a 2100...I still use them on occasion...

tanalasta
07-17-2004, 04:59 AM
If you don't need anything really really flash, consider the IPAQ 2215. As an all-rouder device it still scores very highly and being an older model, is being sold at very reasonable prices.

But IMHO, the PPC market has gotten to a point now where almost all the major vendors are producing top quality devices! :mrgreen:

Stephen Beesley
07-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Well - I just posted off my poor ol' Jornada to its new owner. I hope he gets as much fun and utility out of it as I did.

I have also taken the plunge and bought myself a Toshiba e755 on ebay. Now the wait begins......

P.S. - I guess that means I have more time to play with my Newtons :D

Zack Mahdavi
07-25-2004, 05:55 PM
Well, have fun with your Newtons.. I wish I owned one.. :?

Just out of curiosity, how much did you sell your Jornada for, and how much did you pay for it when you bought it?

I've been buying stuff off of eBay since 1998, but I've never bought or sold an electronic device on ebay. I was always afraid the person who received the item would replace it with a different one and ship it back to me. Am I worrying too much?

Stephen Beesley
07-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Well, have fun with your Newtons.. I wish I owned one.. :?

Just out of curiosity, how much did you sell your Jornada for, and how much did you pay for it when you bought it?

I've been buying stuff off of eBay since 1998, but I've never bought or sold an electronic device on ebay. I was always afraid the person who received the item would replace it with a different one and ship it back to me. Am I worrying too much?

Hmm the price question is a bit tricky because there are three currencies involved, and over 2 years of buying extra bits and pieces, but...

I paid about AU$600 (abpit 325 Euros) for the Jornada just after it was discontinued by HP (bought of eBay Oz). Since then I added quite a few accessories to my hoard including a few spare batteries a second cradle, a stowaway keyboard, a HP Pocket Keyboard, a Krussel leather case and hodge podge of sync/chardge cables. Some of these I paid for in £ and others in Euros. All up though I reckon I had spent a good 600 Euros on the stuff that I ended up selling - for which I recoverd just under 300 on ebay. I sold the stuff in a few lots, but the Jornada, Keyboard, two spare used batteries the extra cradle and cables sold for £110 (about 120 Euros)

So overall I certainly did not get back what I had put into the device in cash turns but when you take into account the age of device and the amount of use I got out of it I think I did pretty well. In fact it was just enough to buy a refurbished e755 and some extras like a sync charge cable and coverup screen cover. All of which I am now impatiently waiting for to arrive!

Stephen Beesley
07-26-2004, 10:56 AM
well not only have I "gone and done it" but now I have a bright shinny new Toshiba e750 to prove it :D.

In fact I am posting this via my work wifi network and my new "toy"!

Now all I need is for my ''Cover-up" screen cover to arrive and the pain of leting of my Jornada might start to fade....

Zack Mahdavi
07-26-2004, 11:29 PM
well not only have I "gone and done it" but now I have a bright shinny new Toshiba e750 to prove it :D.

In fact I am posting this via my work wifi network and my new "toy"!

Now all I need is for my ''Cover-up" screen cover to arrive and the pain of leting of my Jornada might start to fade....

Wow, have fun with it!