View Full Version : IMAP, Outlook, and your PPC

CorysWorld
07-14-2004, 02:21 AM
Recently I have switched my e-mail protocol to IMAP from POP3 on my PC because I want my mail everywhere including my Wi-Fi PPC. I am using Outlook 2003 and in my opinion it handles IMAP very poorly. It does not integrate with you PST, has no Trash bin and when you send a message it goes into your local Sent Items. I wish I could use it like exchanges cached mode. Is there a way?

I have started to use Mozilla’s thunderbird client which handles IMAP beautifully. You can also use OpenPGP for encryption with is very nice. (does anyone know how get OpenPGP in Outlook?)

My dilemma is that I love my PPC and it is made only for use with Outlook (which I also love, I need my Calendar and contacts). Is it possible to sync my PPC with some type of WebDAV? Is there a way to make it handle IMAP accounts better? Has anyone encounter this problem and found a clever solution? I know this sounds like I should be using exchange but I do not want to pay for that.

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Cory

Janak Parekh
07-14-2004, 05:07 AM
Recently I have switched my e-mail protocol to IMAP from POP3 on my PC because I want my mail everywhere including my Wi-Fi PPC. I am using Outlook 2003 and in my opinion it handles IMAP very poorly. It does not integrate with you PST, has no Trash bin and when you send a message it goes into your local Sent Items. I wish I could use it like exchanges cached mode. Is there a way?
Not trivially. I think you might be able to create a Rule to handle the sent mail. Personally, I prefer not having trash. Finally, it's designed not to use a PST -- it's server-side.

(does anyone know how get OpenPGP in Outlook?)
I'm assuming you need a plugin -- that'll take a little Googling.

My dilemma is that I love my PPC and it is made only for use with Outlook (which I also love, I need my Calendar and contacts). Is it possible to sync my PPC with some type of WebDAV?
That would be awesome, but I haven't heard of any such setup. :(

Is there a way to make it handle IMAP accounts better? Has anyone encounter this problem and found a clever solution? I know this sounds like I should be using exchange but I do not want to pay for that.
I follow the lame route and keep separate address books, and configure Inbox for IMAP and that's it. :| Of course, Microsoft's trying to sell Exchange everywhere. You might want to think about a third-party hosted Exchange solution, like MailStreet (www.mailstreet.net). It also gives you Server ActiveSync.

(We've ranted on this very subject on the past here -- that Microsoft just wants to sell Exchange and doesn't make it easy for the little guy to get the flexibility they need.)

--janak

CorysWorld
07-14-2004, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the help!

I'm assuming you need a plugin -- that'll take a little Googling.
I Googled and found a plugin that will do OpenPGP, but it cost $100. Nothing so far that is free like in Thunderbird.

Not trivially. I think you might be able to create a Rule to handle the sent mail. Personally, I prefer not having trash. Finally, it's designed not to use a PST -- it's server-side.
I tryed this and it is just not what I am looking for. The rules are clunky

We've ranted on this very subject on the past here -- that Microsoft just wants to sell Exchange and doesn't make it easy for the little guy to get the flexibility they need
I love Microsoft products but it is times like this that makes me see where all my open source friends are coming from

For now I will stay with my seperate setup, if I find any creative solutuon I will be sure to post.

Thanks,