View Full Version : H2215 ROM upgrade problems

asims
07-13-2004, 01:15 AM
Being new to this discussion group, I went through 13 pages first and didn't find this issue. So here's my problem: I just recently upgraded my ROM from 1.00 to 1.10. Before doing so, I did a backup; afterward, I did a restore. Most of my apps work - in fact, I've found only two games that won't. One of those games, Valentin's Chess, worked fine before the upgrade. But now, it won't. Here's what I've done so far to no avail:

1. Removed the program and reinstalled to my CF card via ActiveSync;
2. Removed and reinstalled to the default location via ActiveSync;
3. Removed and reinstalled by downloading the .cab file, loading it onto the PPC and running it from there. I performed a soft reset.

Each time, I have gone in and clicked on the pawn icon. Nothing happens. And I mean nothing - no new screen appears, no errors occur. I can even click on a different icon and that program will start right up.
What am I missing? :?

Thanks for your help!

Janak Parekh
07-13-2004, 04:24 AM
You're missing the fact that you're not supposed to restore. :( It may restore 1.00-specific settings and/or files, which can cause unexpected problems.

--janak

asims
07-13-2004, 12:55 PM
Is this what I should do:

1. Transfer my calendar events and address book items to my desktop.
2. Make a list of all the programs currently on the PPC that I would want to keep. This list will most likely come from the "Remove Programs" list.
3. Perform a hard-reset.
4. Reinstall the ROM upgrade (or will it remain?).
5. Reinstall the programs I want on the PPC.

Have I missed a step?
Before I perform a hard reset, should I remove the CF card and SD card?
And how do I do a hard reset?

I appreciate your help!

jgrnt1
07-13-2004, 02:03 PM
If you are syncing to Outlook, all your calendar and contact stuff is already on your desktop.

Make your list of programs to be reinstalled. If any of them require registration keys, make sure you have them listed somewhere. If you've tweaked the settings of some programs, make note of them. Rather than writing everything down, I do screen captures of the Remove Programs list as well as the registration and settings/configuration screens from my programs.

Rerun the ROM upgrade. It will wipe out everything. You should not need to perform a separate hard reset.

After the ROM upgrade, syncing should restore all your calendar and contact stuff. Install the rest from scratch.

asims
07-13-2004, 02:11 PM
Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the advice! It may be a while before I can implement it completely, but I'll definitely post my results.

Thanks for all of your help! This was the first time I've done a ROM upgrade and I've learned a lot. :D

Janak Parekh
07-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Rerun the ROM upgrade. It will wipe out everything. You should not need to perform a separate hard reset.
Most of your advice is good, but on this note, I think a simple hard reset will clean out the memory of the Pocket PC and return it to the state of the new ROM. I don't think a reflash is needed...

--janak

bnycastro
07-15-2004, 09:19 AM
maybe ppcthoughts should have a 'sticky' thread of do's and don'ts for basic (or not so basic) pocket pc stuff (or in this case iPAQ stuff) :) it would be really helpful IMO to a lot of guests and members.

Janak Parekh
07-15-2004, 08:12 PM
maybe ppcthoughts should have a 'sticky' thread of do's and don'ts for basic (or not so basic) pocket pc stuff (or in this case iPAQ stuff) :) it would be really helpful IMO to a lot of guests and members.
We should. Unfortunately, stickiness is broken right now. :( It's on the list of things to fix... and, in fact, we have even cooler plans on the drawing-board. :)

--janak

bnycastro
07-16-2004, 02:09 AM
kewlness.... 8)

Mark_Venture
07-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Rather than writing everything down, I do screen captures of the Remove Programs list....
Another way is to use a registry editing program that can export values, and export... [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apps] to a text file, take that text file over to your desktop and print. Since that tree contains a little extra (like install source and target, etc), you might want to edit it to trim it down a little, before printing.