View Full Version : Can you do the same things that WIFI does with BT?

hdsalinas
07-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Hi,

I am finally getting my Linksys BT USB adapter in the mail today. I am very exited to try Bluetooth out.

I used to have a WIFI setup before. I had an ipaq3650 back then and used a CF WIFI adapter (the old and huge d-link CF that drained my batteries in just 15 minutes).

Almost a year ago I got an ipaq 1945 to replace my dead 3650. But since the 1945 doesn’t have a CF slot I have not been able to use WIFI since.

My question is, now that I am switching to Bluetooth, can I do all the things that I was able to do before with WIFI?

I know that I will be able to sync, share my PC´s internet connection and files but will I be able to do more "network operations" such as terminal network clients, open network shared folders, print through network printers and such?

I am also getting a T616 cell phone so I think Bluetooth will be a lot more useful than wifi was. Also, BT should not use my batteries as much. (at least that is the rumor)

Getting new toy today! Very exited!!!!

Janak Parekh
07-12-2004, 09:25 PM
If you can get a "LAN profile connection" working, then you'll be able to do most network apps. That's the good news. The bad news is that the range is reduced a little, and it's sometimes hairy to get the LAN connection going.

--janak

Sven Johannsen
07-12-2004, 11:10 PM
The one thing I have not heard anybody accomplish is using Terminal Services client to control the XP via Remote Desktop that has the USB BT adapter.
Seems that the BT session is linked to the current user session which shuts down when you attach.
Not sure if this is a problem with a WiFi connection that is attached ad-hoc to the desktop. It is certainly not a problem connected via a WiFi access Point. I expect it wouldn't be an issue with a BT AP either, but far fewer of these implementations seem to exist.

hdsalinas
07-13-2004, 12:21 AM
Good,

The range dont think is going to be a big issue since I only using it indoors. (one story house but with concrete walls though) While the USB adaptor is rated at 100ft, a solid 50ft range should be ok.

I used TSC over wifi with an adhoc connection (XP) and worked fine. The only thing was that it asked the local user if he wanted to log off. I will give it a try. I just received the package so you can bet what I will be doing tonight!

Can´t Wait!!!!

Kowalski
07-13-2004, 07:18 PM
your BT adapter working on the PC can have 10 meters or 100 meters range but the device has only 10 meters range!
so you wont be able to use more than 10 meters.