View Full Version : Visual Basic .net from VS2003

johnathanIPAQ
07-09-2004, 03:55 PM
I start to programming in Visual Basic .Net from VS 2003 for my IPAQ 5400. I have some questions that I need help with.

1) Where can I save the data to?? how do I write to a file or does the IPAQ have some OS database?

2) After building the project I moved the .exe file to the ipaq and it runs but the program does not show up as a program??

any tips would be great

Goomba
07-09-2004, 06:40 PM
I'm new to developing software for Pocket PCs, but I'm pretty sure you save the data somewhere on you computer and then run it on an emulator. To get an emulator you need to download the proper SDK,

As for you second question, I haven't yet ran any of my programs on the Pcoket PC (although they do work fine in the emulator) you should try maybe transfering the file via activesync. I really don't know how to make a file that when you run the setup it tells activesync to install the program on the PPC.

Good Luck!

johnathanIPAQ
07-09-2004, 07:17 PM
if so can you write to a file

Peter Foot
07-19-2004, 12:03 AM
You have a number of options, you could store data in a DataSet object which can be written out to xml.
You can also write directly to files in your own format using a number of classes in the System.IO namespace such as the StreamReader / StreamWriter.
You can use Comma Separated Values csv text files using a helper class available from www.opennetcf.org/sdf/ which is faster and results in more compact files than using Xml.
You can also use a true database engine such as Sql Server Ce, or other third-party providers.

Peter

johnathanIPAQ
07-19-2004, 06:03 PM
Can you please send me sample code on how to setup/write/read the dataset

LastKnight
07-21-2004, 12:52 PM
I start to programming in Visual Basic .Net from VS 2003 for my IPAQ 5400. I have some questions that I need help with.

1) Where can I save the data to?? how do I write to a file or does the IPAQ have some OS database?

2) After building the project I moved the .exe file to the ipaq and it runs but the program does not show up as a program??

any tips would be great

Hemm..
1) Exactly as you'd do in VS. Save it as a file (System.IO), store it into a dataset and then dataset.WriteXml("file.xml"), store it into the registry (OpenNetCF classes), store it into a database if you use PocketCF

2) What do you mean? It doesnt' appear in Start menu? Youhave to build a setup tu place it there. It doesn't have an icon? You must assign one...

Let us know.
M.

johnathanIPAQ
07-21-2004, 01:12 PM
can you please give me a sample or point me to a resource on the net with a sample. this is my first time

LastKnight
07-21-2004, 01:18 PM
can you please give me a sample or point me to a resource on the net with a sample. this is my first time

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/database/ado.net.tut.sh.asp shoud be a good start, but don't start improvising if you don't know how framework uses Databases/DataAdapters/DataSets...
You should start with

http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/howto/doc/adoplus/adoplusoverview.aspx

Greetings.

M.