View Full Version : AutoGK for Making PPC Movies

maikii
07-08-2004, 07:17 AM
One good program I've found for making small AVIs that can be played on a PPC, from DVDs, is a freeware program called Autogordianknot. www.autogk.net.

You have to use another freeware program called DVDDecrypter www.dvddecrypter.com to rip the DVD to your hard drive.(Even if the DVD is not encrypted. AutoGK will only accept as input files ripped from the DVD by DVDDecrypter, and only in its IFO mode.) Then you open the resulting folder on your HD with AutoGK, make a few settings, click Start, and hours later (best to start it before you go to bed), you will have a small movie file (using either XVID or DIVX codec). A good freeware player to play back the movies on the PPC is "Betaplayer". [/url]www.corecodec.com

What I would like to know is--from others who have used the program--what do you think are good settings for making a PPC movie? I have made good ones before, but just through guesswork. I wonder if anyone has settled on some settings. (Unfortunately, unlike some other programs that can make movies to play on a PPC, Windows Movie Maker for example, AutoGK has no "profile" for creating PPC movies.)

My PPC is an IPAQ 2210, running WM2003. So my target resolution is 320x240, to fill the whole PPC screen (landscape). AutoGK doesn't exactly let you set the resolution, but it does let you set a fixed width (under "Advanced Settings". Then it will determine the aspect ratio of the movie, and set the height accordingly. (For instance, if the movie has a 4:3 aspect ratio, then if you set the width to 320, the height will be 240. But if the movie has a 16:9 aspect ratio, the height will be 176.)

One cannot set compression settings for the codec. There is only one setting for determining compression level, and you could choose it in one of two ways. One is to set a desired file size (for the final movie file) in MB, and the program will try to determine how to create the movie to fit that size. The other is to set a "quality level", which is set in percentages. I guess 100% means perfect quality, the same as the original DVD, etc.

I have used the file size setting, just guessing at what might be a decent size for a video of that length. Often that has worked for me, with good results. Last night I made one, however, and the video came out very bad. Now I can re-make it, set the file size higher, and hope it comes out OK. If I did that in smaller increments, and if that doesn't come out OK, re-do it again with a higher file size. (Not very practical, as each time it takes hours to create.) (I'd probably not just raise the desired file size incrementally, but make it something like 100 MB higher, and see if it will come out OK.

I think it might be better instead to set the compression by choosing a "quality level", rather than specifying a file size. Once I find a suitable "Quality Level", it would probably work for most DVD-PPC movie encodings with AutoGK. I have no idea where to start however. Has anyone found a good "Quality Level" setting to use on the program, for making PPC movies. (keeping in mind the 320x240 resolution goal, the fact that PPCs don't have a lot of storage, so trying to keep the file size as small as possible, but still to have decent video quality. (perhaps not great, but decent, acceptable.)

Anyone know of a good "quality setting" for encoding PPC movies with AutoGK?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might help.