View Full Version : Samsung Builds Fast Handheld RAM For Handhelds

Janak Parekh
07-08-2004, 09:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5104.html' target='_blank'>http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5104.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Samsung has announced a new RAM design aimed specifically at handhelds, with the speed capabilities necessary for 3D gaming. The new DRAM memory chip has a capacity of 256 Megabits (32 Megabytes) and runs on a Double Data Rate (DDR) bus similar to that used by most modern desktops for increased throughput...Targeted primarily at mobile phones and handhelds, the chip also includes several features to help reduce heat and power consumption for increased battery life."</i><br /><br />There aren't many technical details yet, but I know memory bandwidth has been discussed in the past as being one of the hangups of current Pocket PCs. Let's hope they'll be able to incorporate this and/or related technologies to fix it.

jonathanchoo
07-08-2004, 02:51 PM
bring it on! lower the latency too!

SeanH
07-08-2004, 03:31 PM
In order to use DDR memory the DRAM controller on the processor needs to support it. The Intel SA1110, PXA250, PXA270, Mot MX1, TI OMAP processors only support SDRAM so DDR will not work. The PXA270 is only a few months old. I hope Intel has a DDR controller on there next XScale device.

Sean

whydidnt
07-08-2004, 03:39 PM
I've thought this is one of the major bottlenecks on WM devices ever since Intel moved to the 400 MHz X-scale and we saw very little improvement compared to the 206 Mhz ARM. This could be great news for those of us who are speed-aholics.

My only question is that if the chip is only 32 MB - how many chips are in a typical PPC? It seems we would need at least 4 of these in a 128 MB device. Is that unusual or not?

jonathanchoo
07-08-2004, 03:48 PM
In order to use DDR memory the DRAM controller on the processor needs to support it. The Intel SA1110, PXA250, PXA270, Mot MX1, TI OMAP processors only support SDRAM so DDR will not work. The PXA270 is only a few months old. I hope Intel has a DDR controller on there next XScale device.

Sean

Thats normal. It usually takes a some months before a new tech is implemented. I remembered Intel took alot of time to support DDR memory for P4 that everyone else bought Athlons (including me) because DDR is cheaper than RDRAM.

SeanH
07-08-2004, 04:04 PM
Thats normal. It usually takes a some months before a new tech is implemented.
It takes many years to develop a next generation CPU like the PXA270. The PXA270 has been in development for many years its code name was Bulverde. I predict it will be two years before Intel introduces it’s next generation XScale device, and I hope it has a DDR controller. Or better yet DDR2.

Sean