View Full Version : Weird troubles

OneAngryDwarf
07-07-2004, 09:35 PM
So I've been having trouble accessing MSN mobile on my PPC no matter what kind of connection I use (bt w/ gprs, wifi, thru activesync) and I think i figured out why but I'm not able to fix it. I noticed in my settings that my network card is configured to connect to "work". I know I want it set to "the internet" but the setting never keeps... I say ok then go back in and it still says "work"... am i doing something stupid? W/ it the way it is, I'm not able to get into hotmail which I used to do all the time. Help!!!!
BTW... on a side note, are there any ppc applications that can utilize text messaging on a t610 so i can write rather than T9 it?

Pony99CA
07-08-2004, 01:05 AM
So I've been having trouble accessing MSN mobile on my PPC no matter what kind of connection I use (bt w/ gprs, wifi, thru activesync) and I think i figured out why but I'm not able to fix it. I noticed in my settings that my network card is configured to connect to "work". I know I want it set to "the internet" but the setting never keeps... I say ok then go back in and it still says "work"... am i doing something stupid?
No, Connection Manager is doing something stupid. I've noticed that settings sometimes revert without user interaction, too, and I never figured out why.

However, I think you might be able to fix your problem. Instead of trying to set your Pocket PC to connect to the Internet, keep the settings set to Work, but do the following:

Open the Start menu.
Tap the Settings action.
Tap the Connections tab.
Tap the Connections settings applet.
Tap the Set up my proxy server link.
Check the This network connects to the Internet box.

That allows me to access both my home network and the Internet.

Steve

OneAngryDwarf
07-08-2004, 02:14 AM
No luck... thanks for trying though... anybody else got any ideas that wouldn't require me to do a hard reset?

OSUKid7
07-08-2004, 04:30 AM
Well, I have an older iPaq so it may use some weird settings, but I've had problems like that before as well. Here's my setup - in Settings > Connections > Connections, Select Networks has both fields set to "My ISP." However, the Network Card connects to "Work." Not sure if that helps or not. Good luck though.

Pony99CA
07-08-2004, 07:31 AM
No luck... thanks for trying though... anybody else got any ideas that wouldn't require me to do a hard reset?
First, give us some more details. What Pocket PC do you have, can you access any Web sites at all, how are you trying to connect to MSN Mobile (Pocket IE, the MSN Mobile shortcut, whatever), etc.

Steve