View Full Version : BenQ P50 Updates

Janak Parekh
07-06-2004, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2004/6/17/prodit/8177287&sec=prodit' target='_blank'>http://star-techcentral.com/tech/st...7287&sec=prodit</a><br /><br /></div>PPCT member yslee pointed us to this tidbit that slipped out last month from the Computex 2004 trade show:<br /><br />"In case you didn’t know, BenQ is a major manufacturer of mobile phones too. The company showed off its upcoming P50 Smartphone which features the Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 PocketPC Phone Edition operating system, TFT LCD touchscreen and handwriting recognition. That means the Intel Bulverde-powered P50 is actually a PocketPC device and not a Smartphone as most BenQ promotional materials label it as. <br /><br />In any case, the quad-band P50 Smartphone is scheduled to be released in the first half of next year, and it sports a tiny Qwerty keyboard plus support for WiFi and Bluetooth. Its features list also includes GPRS (General Packet Radio Service), MMS (multimedia messaging service), Java, WAP (wireless application protocol), video and audio playback functions, infrared connection and an integrated 1.3-megapixel camera."<br /><br />If you don't know already, the P50 has an attractive Treo-like form factor which we posted about <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25937">a few months ago</a>; that, along with the fact that it's quadband GSM, makes it attractive for a lot of people. I'm kind of frustrated, though, that it'll take 6-12 months for this to hit the market... and who knows if that market will include the North America. :|

Jeff Song
07-06-2004, 08:22 PM
Great. The one PPCPE device that I was looking forward to won't be out for a long time. Well, I guess my iPAQ 4355 and SE T610 combo will have to hold me a lil bit longer.

Ryan Joseph
07-06-2004, 09:09 PM
I think my next device will be either the P50 or the XDAIII. The built in keyboard really appeals to me and I love the look of the P50 (where the XDAIII looks kind of thick).

And don't get me wrong, I love my i-mate...but I'd love to have WiFi built in and I'd also like a higher resolution camera. VGA is cool, but not very useful.

Janak Parekh
07-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Great. The one PPCPE device that I was looking forward to won't be out for a long time.
I know what you mean. :cry: I really hope Motorola releases a GSM 850 version of the MPx sooner than later.

--janak

vagelis
07-07-2004, 12:18 AM
It is rather unfortunate that of all the cool new PocketPC Phones announced, MPx, MDAIII, hp 61xxx and Benq P50, only the last two will have QuadBand GSM support.
Today's info on the T-Mobile.de site confirms that the MDA III will be TriBand and all available info on the MPx states that it will be released in two TriBand models, one for the US and one for the rest of the World.
If Moto is doing a QuadBand MP220 smartphone and HP is doing it with the 61xx series why can't we have that from all manufacturers, for all models, circa 2004 AD :cry:

Ryan Joseph
07-07-2004, 12:58 AM
circa 2004 AD :cry:

Very well said! Way to put it in perspective. I don't need an 850 device myself, but I still think more manufacturers should make devices that support it. I guess the reason they don't is that there just isn't enough demand yet. As more cell carriers move to that band, I'm sure the device makers will follow. :roll:

yslee
07-07-2004, 01:18 AM
I called the local Benq office, and the marketing chap basically told me two things:

1) It may or may not be released in my area :roll:

2) Estimated (very rough one at that) launch is 4Q this year or 1Q next year.

Pinnacle
07-07-2004, 01:56 AM
Great. The one PPCPE device that I was looking forward to won't be out for a long time. Well, I guess my iPAQ 4355 and SE T610 combo will have to hold me a lil bit longer.
I also agree with this statement...exactly. I own a 4350 right now with a t610 (which may become a SE K700 upon learning this news), and I'll stick with this PPC until the BenQ ships.

I was really counting on this thing this fall, but OH WELL :|

Zack Mahdavi
07-07-2004, 02:26 AM
I'm just excited to hear that the BenQ device will actually be released. This might just well be my next PDA/Phone. :)

marlof
07-07-2004, 06:22 AM
Of all the products announced latelely I was by far the most impressed with the BenQ p50, and this has the best chance of being my next purchase, even if it will take a while before it is introduced.

TheZodiac
07-07-2004, 02:25 PM
According to recent artcles (although you dont need to read them to assume) the more bands a radio supports the less efficient they are. Of course that also depends on the chips and the manufacturer. For instance, a dual band radio will work more efficiently than a tri-band. tri-band more efficiently than a quad-band. At least this is what the comments suggested.

Maybe thats the idea of limiting a device band support, or perhaps why some manufacturers release two models or tri-band devices. 900/1800/1900 and 850/1800/1900.

Do we have a head cound on the current quad-band models out there? Can anyone comment on their efficiency towards that of a similar spec phgone that supports less bands? Thanks! :)

marlof
07-07-2004, 03:49 PM
The quad band Treo 600 I'm using has a better reception than the tri band SonyEricsson T610 I had before.

stephman
07-07-2004, 07:49 PM
The quad band Treo 600 I'm using has a better reception than the tri band SonyEricsson T610 I had before.

I second that comment.
My Treo 600 is worlds better in RF performance than my old SE T616.
Treo 600 = quadband
SE T616 = triband

Janak Parekh
07-07-2004, 08:53 PM
According to recent artcles (although you dont need to read them to assume) the more bands a radio supports the less efficient they are. Of course that also depends on the chips and the manufacturer.
That's what I've heard too, but I haven't heard reception problems with the Treo 600. Maybe they're just harder/more expensive to make, as opposed to performing poorly?

--janak