View Full Version : Using PDA bluetooth as a mobile phone handsfree ??

MonkeyRobb
07-06-2004, 02:26 PM
Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone knew of any software etc so as to use a pda as a handsfree headset for a mobile phone.

In other words, as I use my PDA to listen to music a lot, is it possible to use thebluetooth connection with my mobile phone so that the call comes through my heaphones and use the mic on the PDA ??

Just a thought as I keep missing calls - :roll:

Cheers.

Robb

DiGiTYZED
07-06-2004, 04:21 PM
I don't think that is possible. Bluetooth on the PDA would have to support the headset profile which it currently doesn't.

I could be wrong, as I remember researching something similiar to this (BT headset to BT PDA) and coming across a post (newsgroup) where a user wanted to do the same exact thing you want to do. I didn't thoroughly follow up on that thread, but I do know he/she was having more success than I was.

Try a search on the newsgroups (I used Google's groups to search, forgot keywords though).

Sven Johannsen
07-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Actually my X30 does support the headset profile out of the box, but I would expect these things are setup sort of one way. The headset profile on my X30 lets me connect a headset to it, not use it as a headset. Just like a Human Interface Device profile would likely let you hook a mouse or keyboard to the PPC, not use the PPC as a keyboard or mouse for something else.

There are a couple of PPCs out there that you can expose the Headset profile with a registry hack, 2215 and 5500s come to mind. The profile is there on those, just needs to be turned on.

Incidentally, I did pair my Jabra BT headset to the X-30 and it does exactly what you'd expect, the sounds that did come from the PPC speaker are transferred to the headset (speaker is mute) and the mic on the headset is an input to the PPC, you can record from it. As folks have expected, the sound quality isn't great if you are listening to music, but that I'm sure is because the Jabra wasn't designed with music in mind. I'm sure listening to e-books would be fine. Sync & Go pieces are fine.

Kowalski
07-06-2004, 10:55 PM
There are a couple of PPCs out there that you can expose the Headset profile with a registry hack, 2215 and 5500s come to mind. The profile is there on those, just needs to be turned on.

could you give us a little bit more information about this?

Sven Johannsen
07-06-2004, 11:37 PM
Take a look at

http://discussion.brighthand.com/printthread.php?threadid=85322

The listed hack, changing an existing key's value from 0 to 1 works on the 2215, which I can confirm. The headset profile then shows up in the BT manager. I hear it works on the 5500's too. The key does not exist on my 4155, and there seem to be other keys involved so it is not a matter of just adding the key I believe. Seems that the capability is in there on some devices, but just turned off. On the X30, they left it on.

MonkeyRobb
07-07-2004, 04:50 PM
Many thanks for the replies guys - I'll have a look at that site and see if I can get the hack to work !

I thought that it might be asking a bit much - but I'll see how it goes.

Cheers ! :mrgreen: