View Full Version : Wi Fi Internet Access with a Dell Axim

Campbell
07-06-2004, 03:06 AM
Just picked up a Dell Axim but am having troubles getting it to connect to the internet.

I have a Netgear router sharing my broadband connection, and I have 3 PC's in the home that work fine with it.

The PPC has built in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, and when I search for my network, it seems to connect fine. I have WEP on and it all goes through nicely, and the green signal strength metre comes up down the bottom right corner.

I thought this would be enough to use Internet Explorer and start browsing, but it isn't. I also can not connect to any network computers.

On my router configuration screen, it displays connected devices. It seems that my PPC has not been assigned an IP address nor does it have a name, eg. John, PPC.

When I go to Network Troubleshooter on the PPC, I tried to click Repair IP address, but it comes up with "can not" or it sets it to. 0.0.0.0.

When I use IE, it suggests I "add modems and get numbers off my ISP" etc, which is not on the right track.

I didn't think connecting to my rotuer would be so hard! :)

Thanks for your help,

Patrick

PS: The internet and network works when it is plugged into the Sync cable.

Vidge
07-06-2004, 05:27 AM
Take my advice for what you're paying for it :lol: but I think you have to make sure that you have the connection setup properly. Under settings>connections>advanced>select networks set both the 1st and 2nd boxes to My Work Network. That's what I remember having to do on my since-returned X30 (and the way I have it configured on my hp4155).

HTH.

Campbell
07-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Take my advice for what you're paying for it :lol: but I think you have to make sure that you have the connection setup properly. Under settings>connections>advanced>select networks set both the 1st and 2nd boxes to My Work Network. That's what I remember having to do on my since-returned X30 (and the way I have it configured on my hp4155).

HTH.

Unfortunately they were both already set up on 'my work network'.

It also has other stuff about modems, vpn and proxy's... should I just ignore that?

I don't understand why it can't assign an IP address or a name on my router.

Any idea?

0X

I hope that is a fingers crossed smiley rather than two bird signs.

Pony99CA
07-06-2004, 11:03 AM
And, to connect to the Internet, make sure the This network connects to the Internet box is checked on the Proxy Settings tab of the dialog you get when tapping the Edit... button on that same page.

Steve

Campbell
07-06-2004, 02:00 PM
Sorry guys, not working :(

In the edit box, it's set to "this network connects to the internet".

Also, everything says its connected. This has really got me stumped. I still can't renew IP adresses though, and my router, although acknowledges it's presence, does not show it's name (It's called Axim_X30 on my Active sync anyway)

any ideas :crazyeyes:

Sven Johannsen
07-06-2004, 02:31 PM
The key here is that you are not getting addresses via DHCP, for some reason. You will get good signal strength regardless. The radio is the radio regardless if packets know were to go or get decrypted properly.

I would strongly suspect a WEP key problem. The other possibility is that the router isn't responding to the DHCP request. That has been a problem on occasion with various models, and an update of the router firmware generally takes care of it.

Easiest way to troubleshoot is to turn WEP off on the router for a minute and see if the PPC can get addresses (IP, subnet mask, gateway, etc.). If it gets addresses with WEP off, of course it is a key issue. You can try some surfing if you wish, and the other recommendations are valid once you have addresses. Turn the WEP back on, and try taking the WEP key from the setup screen on the router, and copying it into a note. Sync the note to the PPC and then copy and paste the key into the key field on the PPC. 128bit keys are 26 Hex characters, it's easy to miss one when typing it in.

Campbell
07-08-2004, 09:59 AM
Thanks Sven I'll give it a shot tonight.

Campbell
07-08-2004, 10:52 AM
Problem fixed - originally when I tried it without WEP it didn't work, but a few tries and I got on. Then I thought I'd give it a go with WEP on. And it worked! I'm guessing the firmware upgrade for my Netgear router did the trick because I didn't change any settings. Thanks for your help guys. :)