View Full Version : Ipaq 4150 titanium case AND remote control for MP3 playing

angelmdo
07-05-2004, 07:42 AM
I'm not an IPaq owner, but my boyfriend is. I'm posting because I'm trying to find a good birthday present for him. He has the 4150 model.

He uses his IPaq as an MP3 player to listen to when he's traveling via plane, train, etc. But he says it's inconvenient to keep pulling his IPaq out to change songs, etc. Is there a remote control or some bluetooth remote control that he can use without having to take his IPaq out of his bag to change songs? I guess I'm looking for something similar to the remote controls that you get with portable CD players, but a bluetooth version.

Also, another gift that I'm thinking of getting him is the Titanium hard case. It's $80, which is twice as much as the aluminum, so I was just wondering if it's worth it, or if the aluminum will suffice.

PS I don't know if this is relevant, but his 4150 is a European model (German).

Thanks in advance for your help!

jpjehu
07-05-2004, 06:23 PM
Props to you! I'm impressed that you are so serious about your boyfriend's gift! I only have a couple of thoughts. There are no known (at least to me) remote controls for any of the ipaqs, and the titanium case would depend on your boyfriend's tastes. Does he use a case currently? What kind? Does he appreciate high-quality accessories? The aluminum and titanium cases only vary in price and coolness-factor, in my opinion. I think they're virtually the same in every way - neither are going to scratch much and neither weigh much. Does he play games? Does he use specialty programs that he purchased himself? If I were him - and I listen to mp3s on my ipaq all the time - I would want an aluminum case (provided that I didn't already have one that I personally picked out) and maybe another small item (to offset the titanium cost). I would want a bigger SD memory card for more music storage - or a new game or program - or a couple of high-quality screen overlays - etc. I would even want to skip the case all-together and get a extended battery to double my time (you can't use anything but the standard slip-case that shipped with the unit due to the extended battery's protrusion from the back). Heck - you could even download him a couple of CD's in mp3 format from napster for 9.99 each. I hope this helps!

PS- If he travels a lot by plane you might want to consider the bigger memory card and help him figure out how to convert movies into windows media format for traveling. With the extended battery and at least a 512mb Secure digital memory card you could watch two movies and still have some battery left - which is much better than a laptop's length of battery time.

Sven Johannsen
07-05-2004, 10:21 PM
Wish I had a girlfriend like you. My wife probably wouldn't appreciate that though. I agree with what jpjehu said. A case to me is a very personal thing, not like lingerie, but it needs to be right for me, and that would be hard for someone else to determine. If he doesn't already have a metal case, or hasn't specifically mentioned one, I would be hesitant to go that route. Their side opening is something not everyone likes.

If a case is really on your mind, look at the Vaja line. Absolutely beautiful and well built. Also similar to titanium in pricing.

You mentioned a lot of music listening, so more storage (SD cards) or more power, extended battery or other external power pack might be thoughts. You could probably get a nice SENA case, a new SD card, and an external battery pack for the price of a Titanium or Vaja case. The combo would be a nice package for extended listening.

I too haven't seen any add on remotes, wired or not. Shame too, could be usefull.

angelmdo
07-08-2004, 06:55 AM
Hi, Jpjehu and Sven!

Thanks so much for answering my questions AND trying to help me think of other good gifts for my boyfriend! He is very picky so it's hard to find something. :wink:

Anyways, I thought I would just respond to some of the questions that you asked...he doesn't play games and I think he mainly has software for work. I remember one that he was definitely talking about was one that he uses to track businesses expenses and travel mileage, etc.

He currently has the case that came with the 4150. He doesn't like it and wants a sturdier one. He was actually talking about getting the aluminum one but never got around to getting it. I know he won't mind the side flip opening because his previous Ipaq had a clear case like that.

I think I'll get him the aluminum one and extras like you suggested...

My next question: Can you suggest a good brand for buying the aluminum case? I'm assuming that all of the brands have the necessary openings and holes for easy access to the cable connections, etc? Also, he doesn't wear his Ipaq on his belt or anything, so just wanted to make sure the belt hook connection is removable...

Thanks again!

angelmdo
07-08-2004, 06:59 AM
Oops! Sorry! Just re-read Sven and noticed that he suggested the Vaja line. I'll take a look at that.

Also, I know he has way more than enough SD cards and he has an extended battery pack...any other suggestions? If not, I'll get him something else non-Ipaq related. :)

Thanks again!

dunneldeen
07-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Vaja doesn't make an aluminum case.

If your looking for aluminum try:

http://www.rhinoskin.com/rhinoskin/prod.cfm?cat_id=5088&prod_id=5163

or

http://www.innopocket.com/EShop/Main/product.php?ID=101&name=iPaq

or

http://secure.proporta.com/proporta/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=632&t_mode=des

The Rhinoskin has a removable belt clip post, the innopocket doesn't have a belt clip or post, and the proporta has a belt clip (but it doesn't say if the post is removable.)

Sven Johannsen
07-09-2004, 02:37 AM
I had mentioned Vaja as an alternative if side opening wasn't for sure OK. I hated my side opening aliminum cases. Given that angelmdo was looking at titanium, I didn't think Vaja was out of the question.