View Full Version : The Future of Smart Phones According to Zhang

marlof
07-05-2004, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/2008-1039-5253801.html?tag=nefd.acpro' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/2008-1039-52538...?tag=nefd.acpro</a><br /><br /></div>C|Net has published an interview with Ya-Qin Zhang, formerly of Microsoft Research in China, but currently head of development for Windows CE and Windows Mobile. Next to discussing the previous releases, and the challenges there are in developing smarptphones, Zhang speaks about the future of smartphones (both Pocket PC and Smartphone based). One of the items he discusses is something he sees as a major point in future smartphones: seamless roaming.<br /><br />"<i>I don't know if it's exactly two years or three years, but let's say in the foreseeable future that we will have seamless mobile computing. The first thing is really seamless connectivity, really making the transition from a single radio to multiple radios. It could be Wi-Fi, BlueTooth, WiMax, UWB (ultra wideband) and also other cellular radios. The important thing is to make sure that there is seamless roaming and handover and a consistent experience. That is a critical technology that we need to enable.</i>" When asked when this will happen, Zhang lifts a little tip of the veil: "<i>(...) (the next versions of) Pocket PC and Windows Mobile we are going to release sometime next year. I cannot give you any details right now. Seamless roaming is a key part of that, but roaming is by no means complete. You can only roam between two different radios</i>".

Kevin Daly
07-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Um, one thing I noticed reading the article is his enthusiasm for Smartphone...and no mention whatsoever of Pocket PC.

I like converged devices as much as the next person, but I don't like celular operators.

marlof
07-05-2004, 09:56 PM
The second bit I quoted does mention Pocket PCs.... :)

Kevin Daly
07-06-2004, 08:00 PM
The second bit I quoted does mention Pocket PCs.... :)

You're right, that was a careless (and stupid with the text in front of me) exaggeration on my part.

What I really meant was no discussion, as opposed to going on and on and on about all the opportunities for phones.